How tolerant are you?

by nicolaou 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Robdar
    Robdar

I don't tolerate somebody trying to control me. I also do not tolerate cruelty to animals or children. Still, I'm pretty tolerant towards others--until I'm not. Then it'll be much woe to the person who pestered me to the point that I actually paid attention to them.

• Simon
    Simon
    I want the freedom to be an intolerant and grumpy old git!! I want to ridicule those inane telemarketers that always call me when I'm having my dinner, and why do they ask me how I am?!! Who the hell are they and why do they care? Get lost, I cannot tolerate you.

Idiots with bluetooth gadgets sprouting from their ears having loud conversations into thin air! Twats driving while on their mobile phones, morons smoking in no-smoking areas, kids who talk in cinemas - line up all of you and let me give you all a bloody good thrashing - I cannot tolerate you!

And there's so much more - bad service, lazy, workshy benefit cheats, anti-intellectualism and the dumbing down of society. Big Brother!! Holy crap I think I'll go live on some deserted rock because I just cannot tolerate the idiocy much longer.

God, you sound like me! ... shouting at the telly

• Confession
    Confession

For years friends have told me I'm too tolerant. Too nice. They tell me I shouldn't let others get away with the things they do to me. My response? I'm a diplomat, and diplomacy usually works for me. But when all diplomatic efforts fail, I go to war.

"Ha! Yeah right! You?! I'd love to see you "go to war!"" they laugh.

Well just two weeks ago one of these "friends" got to see it. This trusted "friend" borrowed $1400 from me and promised to return it in two weeks. After making the requisite inquiries, I was assured there would be absolutely no trouble getting it paid back in this time.

But there was trouble. I let it go three or four days past the deadline before becoming vocal. Then came his whiny, insincere excuses. Soon he wasn't taking my phone calls. For eight weeks from the original loan--and six weeks past the deadline--I would communicate diplomatically with him, explaining the difficult position this put me in and asking when he'd be able to make a payment. He continued generally to avoid me and to make payment promises that he never once delivered on. At the end of eight weeks, I went to war.

I called him when I knew he received a large bonus check from the company we both do work for. I told him I wanted the money immediately. He made weak promises about getting me half of it. His tone of voice throughout this time was one in which he clearly thought I was a pushover and he could "handle" me. But I went completely ballistic. Imagine a guy with the temperament of John Ritter turning into Al Pacino from Scarface. I'm not exaggerating.

I used language no one has ever heard coming out of this mouth. I called him every name in the book--twenty times each. I screamed so loud my cat's jaw dropped. This guy was so shocked, all he could say is, "This just isn't you. Listen to yourself." I was a Tony Soprano/Adolph Hitler combo. I did not relent until, after 45 minutes, the guy--on the threat of my smearing his name to all of our common friends--wired $1000 into my account.

I hope I don't sound proud of this. It was ugly. But, as I wrote earlier, all diplomatic measures had been exhausted. "Tolerant" does not mean letting people take advantage of you.

• Scully
    Scully
    I want the freedom to be an intolerant and grumpy old git!! I want to ridicule those inane telemarketers that always call me when I'm having my dinner, and why do they ask me how I am?!! Who the hell are they and why do they care? Get lost, I cannot tolerate you.

Idiots with bluetooth gadgets sprouting from their ears having loud conversations into thin air! Twats driving while on their mobile phones, morons smoking in no-smoking areas, kids who talk in cinemas - line up all of you and let me give you all a bloody good thrashing - I cannot tolerate you!

A man after my own heart!

• parakeet
    parakeet

I try (and often fail) to be tolerant of most things, except bullies and tyrants.

• blondie
    blondie

Probably not as tolerant as I think I am. I have little tolerance for pedophiles but not ready to hang them high but willing to lock them up permanently until society finds a way to protect children from them.

I have been molded by my past but I keep trying to improve.

Blondie

• praiseband
    praiseband

Keep in mind there is a HUGE difference between being tolerant and being accepting. I can be tolerant of a difference of opinion, I may even consider the validity of it and weigh it back and forth, however, that does not mean I am also being accepting of the other. I can listen and gain an understanding without having to agree.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Personally, I am about as tolerant as a pipe bomb. I have no time for foolishness nor stupidity. Life is way too short to have to put up with the type of crap some love to shovel on others.

• Dansk
    Dansk

I tolerated you in my home, didn't I!

Ian

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Ditto nic! I am the most intolerant woman I know - I try hard to be patient and seem to expect patience and toleration from others, but not very quick off the mark when it comes to reciprocation!

Did I see Simon blush then? No way!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit