What if caffeine was banned for JWs?

by undercover 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    I don't know about coffee but dark chocolate was banned for a while (it's made with cow blood ya know!).

Is that true? because I am partial to dark chocolate and never saw blood in the ingredients!!!!

I do remember red smarties being banned because they had beetles blood in the colouring! Which made me wonder how John the Baptist bled the locusts before he ate them in the desert....

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I never heard of a ban on either caffeine or dark chocolate, but I doubt if either would have gone down very well. Imagine telling a bible study that they can't drink coffee anymore if they become a jw! I think tge negative growth would be even more negative if they tried that.

• EvilTroll
    EvilTroll

When I was married my JW wife was practically addicted to Pepsi. An elder I knew told me he had to have 4 cups of coffee every morning or couldn't function. I guess caffeine is okay because it's so prevalent.

• Larry
    Larry

It must have been a rumor b/c I recall only coffee was on the chopping block, this is the first time I heard about all caffeine products. But yes, I remember that rumor. I recall as a J-Dub youth our book study conductor was a coffee addict and every time we went in FS he would have a cup of coffee in his hands saying "I don't know what I would do if the Society bans coffee." After that summer he would always say "whew, I'm glad the Society didn't ban coffee b/c I would be in trouble." Sip :)

I guess some GB members or their wives loved coffee too much to ban it. Beside the BORG couldn't chance losing more members post 1975. Especially the Spanish brothers that I grew up around, because they always drank Cafe con Leche (Cafe Bustillo or El Pico :) with pan y mantequilla (bread and butter).

Speaking of coffee, anybody remembers 'Mr. Coffee', the wacko guys that taunted the Bethelites outside Brooklyn Heights?

Oh, to answer your question - if caffeine was banned the J-Dubs would still 'move ahead' but the BORG would realize that the 'new light' on caffeine would effect the bottom line and have 'additonal light' reinstating caffeine :)

Peace - Larry :)

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Whatever people are willing to listen to and obey, that is what the borg-org will say.

• anewme
    anewme

I remember some rumor and scuttlebut about coffee. Maybe it was about the same time as the ban on smoking where so many witnesses got six months to give it up. Rumors had us all speculating on what was next and our imaginations went wild. I remember feeling guilty that I liked really strong coffee and felt addicted to my morning's dose. I went to a very wise old sister for advice about it.
    She listened with patience as I poured out my heart about my sinful coffee addiction.
    She wisely related scriptures about moderation in all things. She reminded me there was nothing specific in the scriptures against coffee or caffeine. But going against ones conscience was not spiritually healthy. So she suggested I drink it weak if drinking strong coffee bothered my conscience.

Yeah, right! WEAK COFFEE?????? So I tried it once----- GAK!!!!

Ever since then I gave up giving up coffee.

Did you hear that now they are saying a mornings cup of coffee may actually be GOOD FOR YOU???? YES!!!!!

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

First, They would have to remove all this fine spiritual food...

• undercover
    undercover

In some countries, this is a main source of income. For many people, preparing it is a ceremony. In France, Germany, Mexico, the United States, and many other lands, it is an essential part of the day, especially in the afternoon. After nicotine, it is the world's favorite smoke. What is it? There could be only one answer—marijuana!

Regardless of how you personally feel about it, there is no denying marijuana's popularity. What is involved in making quality weed available? Where does it grow? How is it produced? Is there really a big difference between types of joints? What factors affect its quality, flavor, and price?

I could go on, but you get the point...

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    Regardless of how you personally feel about it, there is no denying marijuana's popularity. What is involved in making quality weed available? Where does it grow? How is it produced? Is there really a big difference between types of joints? What factors affect its quality, flavor, and price?

... you got questions.... I got answers.....

,Mike

• parakeet
    parakeet

The WTS will never ban caffeine or alcohol. They know those are the only things that get JWs through their miserable days. Caffeine to keep them awake during meetings and alcohol afterward to dull the misery of what they heard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit