What if caffeine was banned for JWs?

by undercover 30 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    ... you got questions.... I got answers.....

LOL

Can ya hook a brother up?

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I wondered about Starbucks, but figured they'd be okay...most dubs are too cheap to go there.

Oh, I don't know, in my old congo half the field service group lived at Starbucks on Saturday mornings. We were there for 45 minutes, at least.

• undercover
    undercover
    Oh, I don't know, in my old congo half the field service group lived at Starbucks on Saturday mornings. We were there for 45 minutes, at least.

Well, everyone knows that those California witnesses are a different bunch.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Maybe the WTS owns a lot of Folgers stock?

• anewme
    anewme

Willy, this is funny!!!

I was sitting in my husbands company van early one Saturday morning when I spied 3 JWs pull into the parking lot and head for the coffee shop. An older man and woman and a younger woman.

I knew they were JWs right away (older sedan being cared for too well like they were trying to make it last til you know) and the length of skirts of the gals almost too modest, but also one of them offered a brochure to a man standing outside as she entered the coffee shop.

I waited and waited and then it occured to me to look at my watch.

I actually timed them in there!!!!

OMG ten minutes exactly! Yikes!

They hopped back into their car and kept their times going without missing a beat!
    I guess that explains why they were such a small car group!!!

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Wouldn't be a problem for most of here - we're not JWs. Coffee - I can take it or leave it. Much rather give that up than a good wine or beer.
    Eyeslice

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

If the WTS banned coffee, the rank and file would put on their blinders and obey, most of them anyway...

There was an article in the mags not too terribly long ago about Kona coffee - grown in Hawaii apparantly, and very expensive - and my super-dub mother in law scoured the area, trying to find a store that sold Kona coffee because she read about how good it was in Awake.

GGG

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

They wouldn't ban it.

I gave up caffeine for a period of time and now only have it occasionally. I found that shockingly, I need more sleep and I am not rebounding off the walls all the time. If they banned coffee JW's might not be able to stay out till 10 o'clock on a weeknights or work 5 days a week and spend all weekend in field service or at the meetings. JW's are always running around. I remember asking my husband, why if the scripture say that Christian's should live peaceful and quiet lives. Why I couldn't seem to ever have either.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think I remember something about the so-called "chocolate ban". This was (at least as good as I can remember as a 14-year old kid) in about 1963.

The issue was that a lot of chocolate bars had some ingredient called <lecithen><?>. Somebody got the idea that this was blood-related. This was more like the smurf-rumor or the unbled-processed-chicken rumor than a real Society ban.

Our CO, a nice guy at the time, BTW, actually called Nestle and some of the other makers and checked it out. It wasn't blood at all, just some kind of processed fat product like the phony whipped cream in a hostess twinkie. As he told it, the chocolate companies were pretty horrified that someone was promoting this rumor, JWs or not. They didn't want even ordinary people to be thinking they were making blood-bars. Later I think even the Awake printed something on it being OK and not blood.

The witnesses probably could come out and make coffee or alchohol a "conscience item" like the blood fractions - funny how their "conscience items" always turn out to be something that only a weak or inactive person would do...

• undercover
    undercover
    The issue was that a lot of chocolate bars had some ingredient called <lecithen><?>. Somebody got the idea that this was blood-related. This was more like the smurf-rumor or the unbled-processed-chicken rumor than a real Society ban.

Another memory jog...

Does anyone remember the great peanut butter scare of the mid or late seventies? Seems that JIF used blood products in their peanut butter...or so went the rumor. JWs who had always bought JIF switched to store brands and off brands to try to avoid blood. Never mind that most store brands were the same exact thing.

After a while it was revealed(by some clear thinking JW somewhere, a rarity, I know) that is was all bunk and everyone went back to buying JIF.

Another smurf type deal. One JW makes a stupid statement, another picks up on it, repeats it for fact and pretty soon all of dub kingdumb is believing it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit