What is all this about Smurfs?

by Stealth453 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Over here in Britain they were never even mentioned

Maybe another Malawi/Mexico watchliar double standard.

Or....maybe Mr. Bean is the "demonic one" over there.....

• xJ-HO
    xJ-HO

I definitely heard the smurf story. We were told that a child bought a toy smurf into the KH and it just got up and walked out in the middle of the talk. My take on this is that it was a bloody boring talk and a very smart doll OR I have since heard that there are drugs (ecstasy or e) called smurfs that make you hallucinate and see the little buggers everyone. I think someone was dropping e's during a very boring public talk, and rather than fess up, they demonised the doll; lol. What a joke.

• done4good
    done4good

This brings back some memories I wish to forget. I remember when I was about 10 that story was circulating about the doll running out of the KH. My sister had a Smurf record, that my mother took upon herself to burn on the stove in our kitchen! Evidently poisoning people with polyvynilchloride fumes is preferred to those little blue demons.

j

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

I never knew about the smurf-thing either, must have been to young. But I remember well how I wasn`t allowed to go watch E.T at the cinema, or have any E.T-toys. There were a whole bunch of crazy things. The bands Kiss and Wasp were believed to stand for "kids in satans service" (or something like that) and wasp stood for "we are satans people", etc. There were tons of JW-urban legends, but I missed out on the smurfs. Must have been a U.S-thing.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Love that story. I heard that after the smurf came to life it said 'i've had enough of this shit' and walked out of the KH. Somebody posted this before, I love that.
    My wife actually did some research on this topic to find out where it really came from. Here is some of the info Wikipedia gives:
    ----
    Satanic rumors
    During 1983, rumors of the Smurfs' satanic activities spread across Puerto Rico. Those who believed the theory claimed seeing Smurfs below plants in their houses, next to their beds, dressed as the devil, etc. As Telemundo Puerto Rico had just begun to telecast Smurfs programs that year, a possibility exists that a rival television channel started the rumors.
    The rumors spread like wildfire through Latin America, where people went so far as to claim that small, demon-like Smurfs propagated through their recorded albums and attacked those who would play their music. This was very much in tune with the prevalent belief of the 1980s of satanic propagation through recorded music, as many rock bands made open references to satanism in their work.
    Shortly thereafter in the United States, various Christian groups also began to label the Smurfs as satanic, due to the allegedly positive light in which their activities portrayed the use of magic and sorcery.
    -----
    So it was a widespread rumor that ran troughout a variety of Christian groups.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

...and don't forget about the Troll dolls.

These were taboo... I don't recall why... they just were.

Regards,

Jim TX

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

When I was a kid a close GF had all kinds of smurfs (her parents were weak ) and I could never tell my mom that the girl had tons of smurfs because I knew my mom would not let me spend the night. My mom had a huge fear of the demon thing. But our congo also said Care Bears and My Little Ponies were demonized. Pretty much every kids toy was deemed either violent or demonized.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

That might explain why I never heard this urban legend if it was a regional thing....living out in Hawaii I may have missed rumors that spread on the continental US or other areas....

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

ok, ok... here's the real problem with smurfs...

http://www.ltn.lv/~zzeriks/kuzjka/smurf.gif

• mama1119
    mama1119

I remember when this started and I used to LOVE the smurfs, then suddenly we weren't allowed to watch them. I used to go to my Grandmas house after school and my cousins were watching Smurfs and I went outside or into the kitchen because I was so scared of the demons. I also remember this about troll dolls........I always wanted to play with that hair on top of there heads..and unicorns and pegasus ponies...I cant remember what was wrong with them...anyone know???? Is it because they were "mystical"..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit