What is all this about Smurfs?

by Stealth453 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I have been out a long time, and I have recently noticed a lot of you making mention of Smurfs.

Obviously, I have missed something. Has the watchliar sociopath society "demonized" Smurfs somewhere along the line.

Reminds me of the old fear of paintings of clowns, with big eyes, that made the rounds back in the late 60's, early 70's.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

This is one of the famous JW urban legends. And everybody has a different take on it. Aside from the fact that they are supposed to be little demons made into dolls, legend has it that a child in a kingdom hall had a smurf watch and it came to life, bit the child and ran screaming from the hall.

Im sure there are as many views of that story as there are eye witnesses to a car accident :)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I was an avid Smurf watcher in the early '80s and never heard anything about Smurfs by the Society or the congregation....

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

smurfs are little blue DEMUNZ...

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

They were definately taboo here in Australia where I grew up. However this was enforced from a congregational level, not a WTBTS level.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

THANK YOU!!!

Now I don't have to throw out all my new Smurf diapers.

• Highlander
  • Stealth453
    Stealth453

Thanks. I will have a look.

I see you and I are in the same time zone. We get to play while the rest sleep. hehe

• Arthur
    Arthur

I remember the Smurf hysteria in the early 80s. It cracks me up how many urban legends circulated among JWs. I too remember the one about the Smurf doll comming to life inside the Kingdom Hall. I was about 8 years old when I heard that, and it scared the heck out of me.

Here's something else. Did any of you hear what the word Smurf supposedly stood for? One of the urban legends was that the cartoon creator of the Smurfs was in the ocult, and that if you spell Smurf backwards, it reads: frum-s (meaning from Satan) Again; I was about 8 years old when I heard this. I was so scared that I threw away my smurf watch.

• aniron
    aniron

From what I gather it seems mainly to have been an American thing about Smurfs.

Over here in Britain they were never even mentioned. We used to watch them on TV quite often.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit