Lebanon and Israel

by Silvia Plath 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Silvia Plath
    Silvia Plath

Wow you guys really made me think with the response to my faith topic, I was just arguing with a friend today over Israel and invading Lebabon and he quoted all the bible scriptures to me trying to show me that, Israel were the chosen people of God and how God allowed them to go in and slaughter the Canninties (first recorded insident of Genocide) including killing small children, and I asked is that what Christ Jesus died for so God could order the slaughter of babies for the Jews? So you are saying that not only is God a racist, but not a God of love as well? If God created all of us from the dust why would he love one race more than another? And all he could say well because the Bible says so and I said well that's "BULLSHIT!" He went on to say the killing of civilians was justified because Israel is the chosen people so everything they do is justified, so it made me realize the Christians outside of the WTS could be as F-ED up as the ones within it. Maybe the Wild beast will turn on the Whore of Babylon, making the nations drunk on her slaughter, Get out her the bible says; maybe it was a subtle self-indictment about not clinging too tightly to any one truth, or orginization for that matter. Existence itself is a miracle and self-evident proof of a creator, maybe we have to find him within ourselves.

• tfsm
    tfsm

Unfortunately, your "friend" is an idiot.

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

Not to play devil's advocate, but it should be noted that while Isreal at least tries to avoid targeting civilians (and obviously they havn't been fully successful at this), Hisbollah purposely targets civilians...

toronto_guy

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Remember that Russell was strongly Zionist and felt that the bible predicted the Jewish restoration, even feeling it was wrong to convert a Jew to Christianity.

see http://jwfacts.com/index_files/zion.htm for some of theearly Watchtower quotes.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Silvia Plath: Ancient Israel were Cannanites. They were the same people! The Hebrew scriptures were nothing more than a rallying call to the people to unite the Jews against other Semites and based on a heritage that doesn't exist! Jews and Arabs are the SAME race. Religion divides them - as it does most people and gives an excuse for zealots to commit their heinous crimes. Most of ancient bible history was written after the events - at least two centuries later! The glory of Solomon never existed!! Tell your friend to read more on ancient bible history and the archaeology of the bible lands. Toronto_Guy:

Not to play devil's advocate, but it should be noted that while Isreal at least tries to avoid targeting civilians

Where is your evidence for that statement? Don't believe all you read in the media and what you hear on radio/television.

Ian

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

Don't believe all you read in the media and what you hear on radio/television.

Definitely not! Living in a fairly liberal city, and fairly liberal country, with a liberal press, I would be very anti-Israeli and anti-American if I believed all I read in the media or heard on tv!

• Dansk
    Dansk

Toronto_Guy,

I have more than a passing interest in the Lebanon and Israel confrontation. I have friends out in Palestine. While I detest all wars I am all too aware that things are never as one-sided as they might appear.

Reading ancient bible history has also given me a new perspective on the Israel situation. Regarding the Hebrew scriptures, you'll find a number of occasions when Jehovah ordered Israel to massacre men, women and children - and even their livestock. There are many Israelis who believe in taking "the promised land" of the bible which, of course, means Arab territories! These zealots would think nothing of killing innocent civilians in fulfilment of their goal.

Thankfully, there is also a large number of Israeli Jews who are for peace and for living in harmony with their Palestinian neighbours. However, right now one has to ask is it the zealots who are calling the tune or the peacemakers?

Ian

• James Free
    James Free
    Not to play devil's advocate, but it should be noted that while Isreal at least tries to avoid targeting civilians (and obviously they havn't been fully successful at this), Hisbollah purposely targets civilians...

This is simply not true.

The government of Israel is no better than Hamas and Hizbollah. They kill innocent civillians every day. It just looks that way because the media is so one sided. On any one day, if Israel kills 50 and Hizbollah kill 2 - guess what figure gets the most coverage.

• Silvia Plath
    Silvia Plath

Its just as I thought, if the bible is being used as an excuse for slaughter and death then we must be more judicious about what we glean out of it. There is no "chosen people" we were all created, we know this because we all exist. Jesus Christ brought messages of love and hope that's why the pharisees had him killed, one has to wonder if these old testament christians aren't actually worshippers of not a God of love, but of death and obediance. Since the old testament represents death and obediance, it spawns violence and hatred. There are some things you can feel right about in your heart in mind without picking up a sripture, if we were created in the image of our creator don't you think our sense of right and wrong had been made to guide us? If we spurn our sense of right and wrong to say one nation has an excuse to do something because of thier race, isn't that a very preversion and going against what has been built into us? The creator is inside us. God is love, not death and obediance.Ciritical thinking is a gift, not apostacy.

• JH
    JH

Just the fact that Iran and Arabs say that Israel must be wipped off the map, and their constant terrorist acts blowing up people in busy streets in Isreal, is reason enough for Israel to defend herself.

When you see all the weapons that Iran and Syria brought into Palestine, that shows that they want war.

Should Israel wait for them to get the Atomic bomb before reacting?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit