Oh Dear...College is Bad?

by forgetmenot 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Your auto registration fees are what pays for the state highway system. Which costs a lot of money to build and maintain so you can drive your Chevy Tahoe anywhere you want.

I understand this to a certain degree. But could you please explain to me why it cost 30 bucks to register my auto back east, and 300 bucks out here? Roads paved with gold maybe?

Because there are more people living in California than any other state.

Non sequitur. I have already pointed out the flaw in the above anyway.

and California is the best god damned state in the union
    Oh my God. Well, I guess some people just put freedom higher on the list than some.
    I lived in Florida, and what you call "free" to me is shit

First off, do you eat out of the same mouth you talk out of? And secondly, you have made your views very clear. You have made it clear that you are a typical hate spewing liberal, who loves big government, and has no tollerance for those that don't share his views. I on the other hand highly value the freedoms this country was built on. "Forget you my friend."

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom...crouch down and lick the hands, which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams

Now, feel free to spout some more hate filled profanity.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Many congrats for your upcoming degree

I am glad your dream came true!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Yes, congrats on your well-deserved degree!

• forgetmenot
    forgetmenot

Thank you all for the great support! I just realized that I hadn't checked back in a while....So...I am now a college graduate! (Can you just feel the super genius vibes emanating from me? hee hee)

Okay my story (in a nutshell): Extended family almost all JW’s. Immediate family not dubs since (9+5) = 14+1984 = 1998 (left all together except older sister who hung on for additional year). High school sports: tennis and cross country; participation helped move me farther into “bad influence category” but made my grandpa (raised Lutheran; inactive when married JW grandma) extremely proud in this last years of life. Running start in junior and senior years: to get away from small town. Fell in love with culture and looking beyond self.

H.S. diploma and A.A. awarded w/in one week of each other. Trip to

Participated in multicultural community as student mentor and tutor. Good at everything, why not do something hard? Found agricultural engineering as major. Enthusiasm for helping people, esp. disadvantaged people, exploded! Later junior year: research in environmental engineering: strong sense of boredom. Later senior year (this summer!): absolutely thrilled with biomedical engineering (project involving children with disabilities)!

Future (the way I hope it will go): Finish full-time, year-job at University offered immediately after graduation to: raise money. For What? Second degree: biomedical engineering, minor: mathematics (only two classes to complete both!). Study for Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Take GRE. Study for Admissions Test (MCAT). Take MCAT. Volunteer and shadow doctors. Apply to M.D./Ph.D. programs. Get into awesome program with NIH funding (called a medical scientist training program (MSTP)). Conduct clinically relevant research and eventually teach and research as a professor. Before settling down: practice medicine to help (if the world goes my way):

1) Children in war torn areas who have been victims of mine accidents. Providing practical and inexpensive solutions to disabilities in the third-world.

2) Improve AIDS education in and help fight tuberculoses.

3) Doctors move beyond paradigm of “fixing” disabilities and realize that a person is more than an arm, leg, or body part. Holistic approach.

4) Inspiring students of all backgrounds and disciplines to use their education and privilege to better the world in meaningful and effective ways.

And first and foremost: live my life as a model to inspire others. Generosity to the point of ridiculousness.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hey congratulations! Now here's what to do with the $$$ you'll be getting soon: subtract what you'd earn as a janitor, and live on that. Spend the rest in way that makes them wish they were you.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Dear Forgetmenot,

As a parent who is paying for an engineering degree, let me tell you I am SO PROUD OF YOU!

Hold your head up, be proud of what you have accomplished, and if you were one of my kids, I would be throwing a huge party for you and all your friends.

Congrats dear and best wishes......(are you looking to be adopted? )

r.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi forgetmenot,

You go, girl!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit