Oh Dear...College is Bad?

by forgetmenot 36 Replies latest jw friends

• forgetmenot
    forgetmenot

Hello All, I haven't been here in forever! I just had to vent. Sometimes we think we are past the healing process; that our lives can go on like everybody else. But our past is inherently part of us, always with us.

So I finally am graduating from univeristy. I will have a B.S. in engineering come this August. I was named the outstanding senior of my college. Yay for me! (They like me; they really like me...)

Here's the deal: I am so happy to be a college graduate. I enjoyed most of college. A lot. But my extended family, including cousins, aunts, uncles, both sets of grandparents, think that college was/is a waste of time and money. They are dubs. When I asked my cousin about it (i.e. do you have any desire at all to go to college?), he responded: the only thing good I can get out of it is wanton nudity and drugs. Now granted, if that's what your are looking for in college, you can find it. But you probably won't be there for long, since college is first and foremost to learn. You can also find that anywhere you are.

I am so frustrated with their inability to dream.

• Emma
    Emma

It's not just their ability to dream but to think logically, the ability to be reasonable. Your cousin spouted off something he'd been taught, never mind that it makes absolutely no sense at all.

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Amazing accomplishment! When do we celebrate?

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Congratulations on your degree!! I want to go back and get my bachelor's (I have an associate's). But I don't know how I can afford it.

I don't know your story, so how were you able to go to college?

Good Girl

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Sad really, that dubs imagine college to be Animal House X 10. And funny too, that separation from the church is "always" going to result in destruction of faith. I guess that brainwashing wears off with a dose of reality?
    If any dub kids want to go to college, down in Liberal Dubland (aka California) we can go to college.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Congratulations on all your hard work!!! I hope you enjoy your career and use it for the good of society in general.

• mavie
    mavie

Congrats forgetmenot!

I recently went back to college after a 7 year pause. Loving every minute of it....

I work for an engineering firm as well, great field!!!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    wanton nudity and drugs. Now granted, if that's what your are looking for in college, you can find it.

where!!

• kid-A
    kid-A

"I am so frustrated with their inability to dream."

First, congrats on your accomplishments, thats incredible!!!

I know your experience well, I still lived at home when I began my undergrad degree and had to deal with the same crap. My parents were supportive, but the other members of the KH I still attended were very condescending towards "higher" education. It was even worse when I went on to do my Ph.D. I ignored their ignorance, got my Doctoral degree, became a Professor with my own lab, get to travel all over the world giving lectures and presentations, get to teach and mentor grad students and young scientists, publish my research in international journals, all because I chose to ignore their narrow minded stupidity. In short, I am living my dreams and ambitions.

Dont EVER let anyone try to tell you what you can and cant achieve. You are 22, the possibilities are endless and the world is yours for the taking!

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Congratulations on your degree!! I want to go back and get my bachelor's (I have an associate's). But I don't know how I can afford it.

Check out FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) You never know if you don't try, and it's free.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Check out FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) You never know if you don't try, and it's free.

Thank you, I will!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit