Changes that will come in Jehovah's witnesses organization

by PeLe, ThE Soccer King 46 Replies latest jw friends

• PeLe, ThE Soccer King
    PeLe, ThE Soccer King

Karen,

Obviously the case you've mentioned is an exception. The basis of this position will be Hebre 10: 23-27, i.e., a "willfull" sin.

Regards,

Pele

• minimus
    minimus

For sure, the Org. has become worse than the Pharisees ever were! Their are so many rules, the average elder couldn't keep up with them.

• JH
    JH

I wouldn't be surprised if the Watchtower did something like this.

It could be a way to bring those who faded, back in line with the organization through fear.

The Watchtower uses fear to keep their members active and obedient.

Also, those who are active since years would see this like a sign that the end is even closer, and that God is purifying his organization.

It's not good for the Watchtower's interest to see inactive ones get away with it and enjoy life out of the Organization. This could temp many to slow down and finally fade away.

• Severus
    Severus

The organisation could do something like this to firm up the core. Right now it is fairly lax.

I believe there is a "good cop" attitude currently pervasive in the org. However isolated COs have come down very hard on inactive during the last Circuit Assembly, essentially teaching to "mark" or not associate with inactive JW for their own good. This could be a precursor to a "bad cop" mentality.

The fact is in developed countries, the only market for new JWs is the kids "raised in the truth". The Society knows this and may bet on the hope that galvanizing the faithful with exclusionary tactics may save more youth in the org.

If the wee ones see generation after generation simply fade away without reaction, why not for them as well? This is a serious fear to parents, elders, and the GB as well.

• willyloman
    willyloman

What the WTS will do is anyone's guess; they're not that predictable.

While the citation in Hebrews certainly looks like it could be used to the purpose you cite, don't forget that the Watchtower is notorious for picking and choosing doctrine, particularly with regard to enforcement. At least 20 years ago I spoke informally with a CO who told me he was privy to conversations going on at Bethel and that "it was just a matter of months" before the Society published new light on the "Marry only in the Lord" scripture and made it a df'ing offense to marry "out of the truth." Of course, it never happened.

There are many "rules" in the bible that the WTS chooses to ignore when enforcement would conflict with their greater goals.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Pele has asked by PM for me to comment on this thread. I will do so.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have heard quite a few times the phrase “JEHOVAH’ S Witnesses are ministers. We are an evangelizing organization. If you are not on the ministry then you are not a JW”. I have heard quite a few times the phrase “JEHOVAH’ S Witnesses are ministers. We are an evangelizing organization. If you are not on the ministry then you are not a JW”. I also have heard “””23 Let us hold fast the public declaration of our hope without wavering, for he is faithful that promised. 24 And let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, 25 not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as YOU behold the day drawing near. – So meeting attendance is not optional it is a command ”””

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

However they have been trying to get those elderly etc in the figures by counting ¼ hours etc. There are so many conflicting indicators. But read this thread

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/116872/2049825/post.ashx#2049825

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

This was my reply “Our presiding overseer said the identical thing on Thursday. He talked about “Our presiding overseer said the identical thing on Thursday. He talked about
    I agree with the comment that all we need now is a big earthquake and the JWs will be in ecstasy.
    The argument will be “We have just had a major ““Armageddon is Coming”” District Convention. We have all these bad world events – if you do not come to meetings and go on the ministry now, then you really are not one of JWs. I heard in April that this year was going to see a lot of special campaigns but I have heard NOTHING about this latest development. So at this moment it is to me an unsubstantiated rumor.
    Sorry to sit on the fence, but at this moment I do not know, but suspect it is an internet rumor only. If you were to get elders shepherding and DFing /DAing those who did not attend or did not go on ministry, you would be burning the elders out just when they are needed to go out on the ministry deep in these last day. DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME

• blondie
    blondie

*** w80 11/1 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***

Does

the missing of Christian meetings in itself constitute an unforgivable sin, since, at Hebrews 10:24-29, the apostle Paul speaks of this sin right after discussing the importance of meetings?

Failure to heed the command to attend Christian meetings is serious and could lead to disastrous consequences for a servant of Jehovah. However, more is involved in committing the unforgivable sin.

Reading the full 10th chapter of Hebrews will be helpful in understanding the matter. The apostle first points out that sacrifices under the Law provided no forgiveness of sins, but were a shadow of good things to come, involving the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Jehovah provided Jesus Christ as the perfect sacrifice to take away sins. This is a specific provision of the "new covenant." The apostle gives encouragement to "hold fast the public declaration of our hope without wavering." (Heb. 10:23) How can this be done? He points out the necessity of gathering together regularly to incite to fine works, not giving in to the custom of some to slight Christian meetings. Rather, we should be attending such meetings "all the more so as you behold the day drawing near."—Vs. 25.

It is in this setting that the apostle continues: "For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and there is a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition. Any man that has disregarded the law of Moses dies without compassion, upon the testimony of two or three. Of how much more severe a punishment, do you think, will the man be counted worthy who has trampled upon the Son of God and who has esteemed as of ordinary value the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified?"—Heb. 10:26-29.

Hence, the conjunction "for" that begins the paragraph at verse 26 is not just a connective to the exhortation to attend Christian meetings, but ties back to all that is said prior thereto. One must accept God’s way of salvation through Christ and continue to appreciate this provision, while having in mind that the attending of meetings is one of the ways Jehovah has provided to keep one strong in faith and active in good works. That this is the case is further confirmed by what the apostle says in verse 29, where he shows what punishment is due one who "has trampled upon the Son of God and who has esteemed as of ordinary value the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified."

So we should not discuss Hebrews 10:24, 25 out of its setting and imply that failure to attend the meetings regularly is in itself what the apostle is talking about in discussing those who commit the unforgivable sin. Of course, when a person has "the custom" of not attending the meetings, he is working against his own spiritual interests and is in grave danger of growing weak in faith and becoming inactive in Christian works. This, in turn, could lead to a person’s actually denying or not taking seriously the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ and his thus losing out on everlasting life.

The sin mentioned at Hebrews 10:26-29 does not apply to one from which the sinner is able to repent in sincere grief, appealing to God through Jesus for divine mercy. The sinner has actually renounced the Son of God as his savior and esteemed his sacrifice as having no redeeming value.—Compare Hebrews 6:4-6.

Such a person is sinning against accurate knowledge and the operation of God’s holy spirit, and there is no possibility of his repenting and availing himself of God’s provision for salvation through Christ. God has made no other means available for saving such a willful sinner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit