ZIDANE EXPLAINS HEADBUTT

by tijkmo 34 Replies latest social entertainment

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

This makes me think of growing up with my sister.

She was always very quietly antagonizing me. I was the older sister. I was loud.....but I was not mean. I got in trouble for retaliating. She always seemed so innocent.

I understand that it was a poor display, for all to observe. Somehow, I can't see a grown man going to the officials and saying he said.......My momma wears combat boots.......do something about it.

So, for his lack of self control........he will be forever penalized for it. He said he was a man first. I never want a man that would handle a problem in this way.

Emotions had to be running very high. I think it was a very cheap shot for the other guy to do what he did. Like hitting below the belt in a boxing match, and he should be penalized for that.

I think the whole situation is very disappointing for all.

Although I am glad I got to see it!!! (like when Tyson bit off holyfielders ear.!!!)

purps

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Look Zidane lost his head (no pun intended). He let his emotions run away from him, and as usual the French are going to make an excuse.

Trash talk is so much a part of profesional athletics. I don't get it, unless Zidane wanted out of the game? In other words he surrendered. Which is pretty much on par with much of France's behavior during the 20th century. Seriously, though, the fact that the French lost was more satisfying to me than anything else.

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

I wanted the Italian team to win so I was glad the squadra azzura won but if I had been in Zidane's shoes, I would have probably done the same... Soccer players are not payed to be insulted; they are payed to play soccer.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Soccer players are not payed to be insulted; they are payed to play soccer.

Or to take dives to the pitch, roll around in feigned agony, get carted off the pitch, and then run back on the field as if nothing happened.

That is my only pet peeve about soccer.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

His mother is seriously ill, going into hospital just before the final. The Italian (according to a BBC lip-reader) said "I hope you and your family die horrible deaths".

Like the man said, he is a man first and reacted like a man. He knows what he did was wrong, but doesn't regret what he did. He apologised for it being seen by so many people, especially children.

I like his honesty, and have sympathy for the reaction the Italian knowlingly incited. Zidane's actions were far more honorable than the Italian.

He's a hell of a lot more honest than most politicians I can think of. His retirement game ending like that is punishment enough.

If trash talk is suposedly part of the game, how come people complain when the next logical step happens? One leads to another; accepting one results in the other happening.

How about people not inciting opponents to violence? The reaction is not right but is inevitable so why tolerate what leads to it? What about sportsmanship? Or is an 'edge' like that worth losing your honor?

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    How about people not inciting opponents to violence?

This is a question asked all the time, especially when it comes to showing up opponents.

The reaction is not right but is inevitable so why tolerate what leads to it?

There is a difference between trash-talk and what Mattzerati did. However, Zidane is a professional, and should have taken care of it after the match.

What about sportsmanship?

You mean like diving in order to get a foul?

Or is an 'edge' like that worth losing your honor?

I played in some pick-up games after leaving the Dubs, and I didn't like trash talk. But I have to wonder when did "We want a pitcher not a belly itcher" transform into the stuff we see in all the major sports.

Secondly, it seems that this whole incident is wrapped up in the ugliness of racism & bigotry. Here I thought you holier-than-thou Euros had that problem all sown up?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I heard the Italian player was choking on a spicy meatball and Zidane tried to save his life with the futbol headbutt heimlich, which was mistaken for poor sportsmanship. per Monday's jon stewart report.

LMAO! God that show has some great writers!
    This World Cup was the first time I had ever heard the name Zenedine Zidane, but I was dazzled by his quality of play, and, well, it's hard to explain, but watching him, he just seemed like a very cool, stand-up kind of guy. I wish he would have been the better man and kept his cool in that situation, but I guess he felt like his pride was on the line and there was no walking away from what was said, and I'm not going to judge him too harshly for that. And, the Italian totally hammed it up.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

this is getting ridiculous, this makes three soccer threads I've killed now...

Are you all PMing each other? "hey, if DTM posts to the Zidane thread, DON'T POST ANYTHING ELSE TO IT, okay?? We're trying to give him a hint!"

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I'll be the thread killer for ya Dan. Or maybe I should pull a Materazzi, insult the whole lot of you, and get an onslaught of responses.

Yes, Zidane shouldn't have physically retaliated, regardless of the insults. Zidane played for Juventus and surely knew how "la bestia" would comport himself. He got the red card and it should be left at that. Threatening to take away the golden ball from him is ridiculous.

All in all though, I like the drama.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

XJW

There is a difference between trash-talk and what Mattzerati did. However, Zidane is a professional, and should have taken care of it after the match.

Yes, walking up to him afterwards and cold-cocking him would be a better way ;-) He is a professional footbal player; last time I checked being able to control all emotions was a Vulcan attribute, not a professional football player's area of skill. They regulary do worse for less.

You mean like diving in order to get a foul?

I don't support that at all, but am looking forward to the Portugese entry in the next Olympics; the diving entry I mean. They have talent.

Secondly, it seems that this whole incident is wrapped up in the ugliness of racism & bigotry. Here I thought you holier-than-thou Euros had that problem all sown up?

Oh god, where do you get the energy to be so passive aggresive? Boy, do you have a French fry on your shoulders.

First, the version of what the Italian said I've read were not racist, so way to go with the streach.

Secondly Europeans are not holier-than-thou, they are (on average) more-secular-than-thou.

Thirdly, strawman; need directions to Emerald City?

And fourthly, give 'us' racist Euros (one strawman deserves another) a buzz when 'you' Americans haven't made up an entire racial group 'we' lump in with Europeans (Hispanics), and when despite having TWICE the statistical opportunity to marry people of other races 'you' Americans marry people of other races as often as 'we' Europeans (you've twice the minority population and intermarry at half the rate of Europe).

;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit