Sad doggie news.....

by Alana 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Alana
    Alana

I know I don't post much, but this board has been a source of confort to me in my journey out of the Borg. That is why I want to share with my online friends that my beagle, Remington, is very ill and I would appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. He is only 8-yrs-old and is my baby. They have been keeping him at the vet for tests and because he isn't eating and is very weak (lost 7 lbs in less than two weeks and 16 lbs total since May. They are doing tests and the preliminary diagnosis is a liver shunt, where basically a vessel forms in which blood by-passes the liver and is not filtered of toxins. Therefore, he is severely jaundiced among other things. The vet is preparing me for the worst. I have not had a doggie that has died while I still had it, so this is a very traumatic situation for me. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Sad to hear that. Hope he pulls through it all.

I love my pets too and hate it one dies. A few years ago I lost my dog to old age. It still makes me sad to think of losing her.

They really are our childen.

Jeff

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

Sometimes the vets are wrong. I once had a dog that was really ill-took him to the vet and they told us that if we didn't fork out hundreds of $ for an operation, he would die. We couldn't afford it at the time, so-heartbroken- basically took him home to wait for him to die. A week later, he was just fine and lived for many more years.

This probably isn't very helpful to you right now----but my point is, there is always a glimmer of hope.

Here's hoping he will be okay.

LIG

• damselfly
    damselfly

My pets are my family as well.

Wishing you all best thoughts,

Dams

• Confession
    Confession

{{Alana,}}

I understand how you must feel about your dog. I feel the same about my cat. I hope you can find some way to help him get well. I'd do everything in my power to help Kimba were she in similar circumstances.

Love,

Confession

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Our animals are part of our family. I hope your dog gets better.

lisa

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi (((Alana))), I understand too.

I hope they can do something to make your pooch better. Can they not close off the shunt somehow so the blood goes through the liver again?

• talley
    talley

Oh Alana, I'm sorry to learn that Remington is so sick.

I will be sending good thoughts and prayers that the vet is able to some how help him and that you will find strength during this difficult time. If the diagnosis of 'liver shunt' is correct, that is not a good prognosis.

Out pets give us unconditional love and companionship; the prospect of losing them is so very painful.

• Alana
    Alana
    Can they not close off the shunt somehow so the blood goes through the liver again?

Yes, that can be an option in some cases, according to my vet, but the prognosis depends on if the shunt is inside the liver or outside of it and if the animal is well enough to handle such a surgery. Right now, he's very sick and I don't know if he could handle the surgery.....and the worst thing to say, is that if it is a complicated procedure (inside the liver), I just honestly don't have the amount of money they want upfront to perform the surgery. That's the saddest part of all.....I wish it was me instead of him....at least I have insurance and would also understand what was going on. :-(

Thank you all so far for the responses. I appreciate all the support I can get!

• Confession
    Confession

Alana, how much might that procedure cost? Do you know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit