Marlan Wayans father is a JW

by Kristofer 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

just heard his interview on Conan O'Brien...
    His father was a JW..mother was a Baptist..

Thought it was hilarious...his dad told him IT would explode if he touched it>

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

And turn black???

• Confession
    Confession

Saw that interview too. I'd heard before that the Wayans brothers had been raised as JWs. But my daughter and I were surprised to hear him say that his dad used to always tell him he'd "go to hell."

Must've been a bit of creative license.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

evidently this chap is well known over in the states but haven;t a clue over here. Who is he?

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

What does this mean?

Cults do not discriminate in their membership.

The Christian Science cult sure likes Hollywood.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

His father was a good JW, really stuck to "spare the rod, spoil the child". Here is a quote from another interview.

“My father is a Jehovah's Witness, and he raised us under a very strict hand. He believed that if he did not spare the rod, he would raise functional, obedient children. He failed to realize that he didn't need to beat [us] all of the time; he needed to talk to us, to try to understand us. I think that he learned [to do that] towards the end of his career as a father. [When I was young], he didn't know there was any different way of being. He's two generations away from being a slave; [when he was growing up] he got beat, so he passed it on. The good thing is I don't [beat] my children, and none of my brothers and sisters do to theirs. We've broken the chain.”

The Wayan bros turned out pretty cool though, there movies are a total laugh.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

He was in a friend of mines, roommates congregation in Manhattan, not sure if he still is or not. If I recall he also was an MS??

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The other day I saw an interview with the Wayans brothers for their new movie. The next guest was Venus Williams. She made a comment that while they were all waiting in the green room to come on the show they were all talking about their childhoods.

Now THAT is a conversation I wish I could have heard

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

WoW! I`m there with you Lady Lee, would have loved to been a *flyonthe wall* in that room!

I like the Wayan`s brothers, they`re pretty funny. I loved their show "In Living Color". Crumpet this show is where Jim Carey got his big break.

• jasminder
    jasminder

... Not to be a prat, or anything, but I just wanted to clarify something.

Moonmanchu said Christian Scientists like to hang out in Hollywood. I think he meant scientologists.

Christian Scientists and Scientologists are two very VERY different groups. Scientologists are the ones who hang out in Hollywood and sequester their babies and have no ties to Christianity. Christian Scientists have their mother church in Boston and base a lot of their doctrine on the writings of Mary Baker Eddy.

Only reason I know this is because one of my co-workers is a Christian Scientist and while I don't agree with some of her views, she's a good person and I think values Jesus' teachings of love, peace, nonjudgment and forgiveness. We've all been the brunt of hate so I wanted to prevent it from seeping onto an "innocent bystander" group

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit