Do you feel you were trapped in a destructive cult?

by mavie 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• mavie
    mavie

I'm interested in knowing your thoughts on this matter. Do you think the WTBTS is a destructive cult? A destructive cult is defined as "a group which violates the rights of its members and damages them through the abusive techniques of unethical mind control."

Mind control would involve a person's behavior, thoughts, emotions, and flow of information.

I can see some of these in the JW religion, but they are not as overt when compared to a group like the Moonies.

Thoughts?

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Mind control would involve a person's behavior, thoughts, emotions, and flow of information.

You have just described the jw's. I think the reason that they "appear" to be less overt, is the fact that they have had so many years to polish their act.

If the dub's were to have come into being, say 10 years ago, they would have been branded another Cult Davidian, or the like, and quite rightfully so.

Don't let them fool you. They are better at what they do than even us Apostates give them credit for.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

JWs follow all aspects such as Liftons 8 points that indentify mind control. As you identified, it is only a borderline destructive cult.

Being a JW can be wonderful, and it is only once you start to disagree with some of the doctrine or guidelines that the tables are turned and lives start being destroyed. Doctrine aside, the aspect that most destroys lives is disfellowshipping.

I believe that the only way the Watchtower Society will become a sustainable religion is to become more open and in doing so no longer be a cult. Otherwise the freedom of information available on the Internet will destroy the Watchtower over time.

• mavie
    mavie

Thank you jwfacts, I tend to see the situation similarly. While reading Hassans book "Combating Cult Mind Control" I see time and again extreme examples of destructive cult behavior. JW's do not seem to be fit Hassan’s definition of a destructive cult completely.

He makes the point that one can see a group’s true color by examining the lifestyle of its leaders. Does leadership enjoy lavish surroundings while members toil away with the bare minimum? If JW's can be defined as a destructive cult, is this the end objective of its leaders? Money? For example, Moonie leadership was after political power and money; many other destructive cults had similar aims. What is the JW cult leadership objective, if it exists?

• Confession
    Confession
    Doctrine aside, the aspect that most destroys lives is disfellowshipping.
    I believe that the only way the Watchtower Society will become a sustainable religion is to become more open...

I agree, JW. For me, all roads lead there. When I consider the anger I have felt toward this organization, I realize that it isn't about the doctrine. It's about the policy of forcing people to accept the doctrine.

-I wouldn't really care that they incorrectly taught that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 BCE and that Jesus "sat down on his throne" in 1914--if it weren't for the fact that any among them who disagreed were subject to being demonized by them and shunned by all their loved ones.

-Blood transfusions? I don't see it as scriptural, but if someone thought it was, fine. Let them do what they want--of their own conscience--and NOT because of organizational pressure.

-Creating an alliance with the U.N. despite labeling them "the image of the wild beast?" Whatever. But since they will disfellowship those in the flock for any similar alliance, it makes them corrupt and evil.

-The fact that pedophilia exists in the organization is no huge news. It exists, perhaps, in all such groups. But the fact that they dominated these situations, instead of entrusting them to experts--the fact that they helped it flourish by so often attacking the victims, threatening them to follow their rules--is what makes them so reprehensible.

• yesidid
    yesidid

Mavie asked

If JW's can be defined as a destructive cult, is this the end objective of its leaders?

It's all about power my friend, just power.

From a 20th century British Novelist;
    "We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. ... the object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?' "
  • darth frosty
    darth frosty

yes i do. my wife always says that I'm mad because of what I could have did and that others made decisions (in being raised a witness) for me. every time she says this I think thats more than enough of a reason to be pissed. and the classic witness escape is to make you think it all your fault. no one made you get baptized,pioneer, go to bethel. nevermind the fact that that was the only career placed in front of you your whole life.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

There are certainly more destructive groups in the world. Witnesses aren't really a cult, though they are a high-control group.

The fact that even some on this forum self-identify as 'apostates' (though the JW use of the word is incorrect and misdirected) is testament that the JW techniques of influencing people's thoughts is indeed quite pervasive.

• vitty
    vitty

I didnt at the time, but I did feel trapped. I couldnt understand why, when when I was promised everlasting life in a paradise, i felt depressed and under pressure.

Now I that I understand the truth, I believe they are.

If not why is it so hard to talk to a husband, wife, child about the truth about the org, without them shutting off.

My daughter feels trapped and has revealed many things to show this, but I still have to be very careful what and how I say things.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Being raised in the bOrg, I knew something was wrong. But I was young and had no resources to find out what was exactly wrong so I internalized it, thought I was the wrong evil one. But being that I had this wrong feeling I just couldn't allow myself to be baptised even when most the kids around me were doing it. That wrong feeling saved me even though I still live with the affects of being raised in the bOrg.

So yeah I know I was trapped in a cult and most of me got out. I hope I have broken the chain/curse.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit