What's proper...

by serendipity 14 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

When you post on someone's topic, do you expect an acknowledgement from the person who started it? If you don't get an acknowledgment, would you stop posting on any other other topics by the person?

I personally don't expect an acknowledgement from anyone. However, if I had spent a lot of time on a reply on the initial thread, I would keep my replies shorter on subsequent threads in most cases, if I remember the poster, which I usually don't.

Maybe I need to google discussion forum etiquette.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I don't expect one personally. Especially when there are so many replies. So, no, I wouldn't stop posting on their threads.

I try to respond, but sometimes things get so busy around here that I have to cut it short. I think we never really know the circumstances of a person starting a thread or their particular mind set.

But I think you have a good point about googling the etiquette for these sorts of things.

BSoM

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I try to respond quickly in topics that I make. But this forum is weird, because new threads are at the bottom and you have to scan every topic to see the most recent response.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

When I feel chatty and need to post on this forum, I don't expect direct replies. They are nice to have, but not necessary. Most of the time I just lurk anyway, but this weekend I am feeling chatty.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Or, in my case, I lose interest quickly and then don't return to a thread, so if I have started it, I may never realize that it has continued and people are commenting. I guess, I also am like Blackie, I don't expect a response, unless it is a question posed and I am personally looking for advice.

• serendipity
    serendipity

And nothing in particular triggered this topic. I don't want anyone to think I'm referring to her/him.

• vitty
    vitty

I try to keep my answers short and if I have anything more to say to the one who starts the topic I sent a pm.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

some threads get many replies, and many are just short or just some bit of information.

I would not expect to get a reply on that.

however if there is a discussion going on, or with longer answers, differences of opinion etc, I think it is good etiquette to give a reply to an answer.
    Specially when questions are added in the reply etc.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

For me, it is "proper" to relax and not sweat the small stuff.

• rebel8
    rebel8

It's hard to have time to go back and reply to everything. When I come to the forum, I usually just check on new threads or old ones that stuck out in my mind.

For PMs.....I think it's polite to respond.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit