What led you to think that the Watchtower had God's approval?

by JH 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lilybird
    lilybird

I was taught from a child by my mom that they were the only true religion and if I didn't follow the society's doctrines and beliefs.. I would die at Armegeddon.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Well, it was the fact that they do not go to war and so do not kill fellow witnesses. I am still grappling with this. I can't go out now and sing I'm a yankee doodle dandy as I think a truly godly person would imitate Jesus in being peaceful. Any suggestions?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It was how the people I met at the kh behaved, so friendly and clean - living. I thought that peoplle who tried to be that pure had to have the right religion.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    I can't go out now and sing I'm a yankee doodle dandy as I think a truly godly person would imitate Jesus in being peaceful. Any suggestions?

Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

• kazar
    kazar

IYes, I did believe completely. I was converted from a Catholic to Jehovah's Witnesses at 17 years of age. I questioned many of the Catholic teachings and reading the bible was anathema to Catholics. I were told "only the Pope could interpret it." (Plus, the Catholics have their own bible - The Catholic Douay Version is one of them). I had never laid eyes on any bible in my life. So, when I met the Witnesses, they were only too willing to interpret the bible (of couse I did overlook the fact that they had their own bible). But, because they carried their bible with them, and could read it, along with the fact they could demonstrate how hell was really sheol I was very impressed. Then, when I found out there would be a paradise earth--that made a believer out of me.

• blondie
    blondie

Lesser of all the other evils, I guess. Actually, where there are many other problems going on in your life, you aren't able to take a good long look at things. Once I got 2 of my life's issues under some control, the spiritual abuse became more evident.

I can see why JWs target people with problems like abuse, alcoholism, death in the family, marriage troubles, divorce, family troubles.

Blondie

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Though raised around the "Truth" I saw that the condition of the dead matched the known facts. Death = sleep. No one else talked about it so prominently and it was so logical. That and the generation of 1914 seeing all the changes in one lifetime was very impressive. DUH.

So, now I dont know about either of them, though I stick with the death is the end thinking. Now I dont entertain the whole ressurection scenerio. I just want to be spread evenly when I'm ash. Anything that happens after is gravy.

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit