Why did vegetarian Abel tend a "flock" on a tropical earth?

by M.J. 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• M.J.
    M.J.

Abel tended a "flock", which could have included sheep, goats, and/or small cattle according to the Strongs word usage.

Yet people weren't supposed to eat meat until God gave the go-ahead to Noah, says the WTS.

The earth was totally warm before the flood according to the WTS, so tending sheep just for its wool would seem a little pointless.

It seems as if Abel would have needed to live off of Cain's crops, while he spent all his time hanging out with a pretty much useless flock. No wonder Cain was a bit surly.

What do you think?

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

weren't the animals needed for sacrifice to a pissy god?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Skins to wear and make tents out of? Fleece to create clothing? Milk? Pets? Not many wimmins on earth yet? 'sides how often did ppl in the bible wait til they got the "go ahead" from god to start doin stuff?

Or more likely there was no abel?

• Warlock
    Warlock

Like they say in Wisconsin and California, it was for "the cheese"!

Warlock

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Lamb Souvlaki! Don't let anyone tell you any different! Abel was as much a vegitarian as I am.

alt

• Warlock
    Warlock

F.F.

That is not a fair picture to post between meals!

Warlock

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well let's think about this. The entire world population consisted of Cain, Abel, Mom, and Dad. No women. Abel is preocupied with his sheep. I will say no more.

• glitter
    glitter

They would have need wool to make clothing since they didn't like to be nekkid anymore... but I reckon it was mostly to please Jevovah with the aroma of burning flesh.

When I was little it occurred to me that Cain might have been pissed off enough to kill Abel in a "Here's your damn blood, god!" gesture.

• M.J.
    M.J.

LOL @ RunningMan!

Yeah, I guess there was the wool undies and I did forget about the dairy products.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Because whoever wrote that shit was an Israelite and the Jews already had a codified system of animal sacrifice, and they wrote that as a refutation of, a warning against, the pagan practice of vegetable sacrifice. It never really happened, it was an object lesson dressed up as a myth.
    I just pulled that out of my ass, but if I do say so myself it is at least as credible as the idea of assuming that it really happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit