ANYONE THAT BELIEVES JW'S HAVE THE RIGHT RELIGION ARE........

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

...deluding themselves (big time)

DR

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

...either intentionally or unintentionally ignorant.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

Please excuse me...but anyone, in my opinion, claiming to have "the right religion" are using the phrase for politcal gain/power, or in the case of jehovah's witnesses, financial and legal power, and don't forget, all the real estate holdings.

It is all a state of mind, religeon, that is. Religion is nothing more than attempting to feel better about not making decisions for oneself. A drug, opium of the masses, as i see it, and appears to be...look at all history of religeon per se...

jws certainly are no different

• parakeet
    parakeet

........deluded, suffering, deeply unhappy, stressed beyond belief, conscience-ridden (if they still have a conscience), and deeply deserving of pity and compassion. However, the religion itself deserves nothing but contempt.

• minimus
    minimus

I do think that MOST people are lazy. To change your outlook, well, it's not easy for some. Some struggle to WANT to believe----because they're told it's the "truth". Some people simply can't face the fact that they've been wrong for so many years.

I do think that MOST people are lazy.

This is thinking worthy of the watchtower, and other fundamentalists. It allows you to dehumanize, in a sense, the subjects of your post. It's ironic that the watchtower would make the same argument, that "MOST people" are generally lazy, about those outside their organization. I don't think Jehovah's Witnesses are intellectually lazy at all. The problem is, their intellectual energy is directed, by the watchtower leadership, in one direction. I know I did a lot of study and research when I was in, and I knew many who did the same. However, because the study was mono-directional, the value of the time and effort spent was greatly diminished. The lack of consideration for alternative points of view contributes to the diminished value of the intellectual effort. While all of this causes the witnesses to have a biased and unbalanced religious view, it certainly does not make them lazy.

This is not intended as a slam minimus. I usually get a kick out of your posts, with some thought provoking reflections thrown in for good measure. I just hate to see one narrow point of view exchanged for another.

Peace

• minimus
    minimus

24k, you make some good points BUT the JWs that I know----even those that chuckle about the policies and stupidity of the Watchtower, don't want to make a move. They don't want to look any further than they must. They'd rather close their eyes and ears. They don't want to research. They don't want to even think too much about it. I personally, think most JWs are mentally "lazy". They'd rather be force fed and sit thru monotonous meetings and play mental gymnastics to fight boredom but still sit in the chair. Lazy.

• carla
    carla

mentally and emotionally unstable and woefully uninformed.

I agree with Min, intellectual laziness, spiritual laziness, emotional laziness. All of it. It is much easier to sit and let someone tell you what to think, how to feel, and how to worship the 'right' way. It is hard to research and look inside oneself. Sometimes it is just too scary. Who knows what you'll find there?! How would you even know if it was good or bad without someone to tell you? The org keeps it's members from maturing so there is always a dependence upon it.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I found that few JWs even pre-studied the conventional WTS way. That was illustrated at the WT study where the conductor would ask the question and only a child would raise their hand. Now I know that the first question is "reserved" for children and new people, but then he would look for other hands and it would be the same 3 people.....the only ones who pre-studied. When he would ask for a comment on the scriptures because the WTS had lovingly put in 3 or 4 cited (unquoted) scriptures, the same 3 people would raise their hands. On an average there were 5 elders, 3 MS, 3 regular pioneers and their spouses. There should have been more hands..................

My husband was an elder so I visited many congregations and the scenario was the same.

The book studies were worse. In one congregation, they assigned the 4 sisters who always answered at the WT study to the same group........it took only 1 month before 3 sisters were reassigned to different book studies.

I have played many a Bible game, Bible pictionary, guessing where a scripture is located, Bible trivial pursuit..........it was enlightening how many simple things JWs did not know....and I'm talking about elders and their wives. Bethelites fared no better.

But they aren't stupid or unintelligent; they just put their energies into other areas that the feel are important, like their jobs and sports.

Blondie

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It is amazing what people will believe when utterly engulfed in a social context in which certains beliefs are taken for granted.

Indeed there are still many in mainstream society who actually believe the US sent men to the moon!

Slim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit