Do you think a nuclear weapon will be used in war or terrorism in our time?

by free2beme 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

As most always, Satanus makes sense. Let's hope he's right.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Gregor

So I should just take your word that he did not? Sorry, not a Witness anymore. I trust no one.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I don't see what Armageddon, God or Jesus has to do with a nuclear strike.

As usual, Robdar and I are in complete agreement on this. If some of you out there are still playing the old "the Bible said..." game and trying to use it to predict todays world events then you might as well get back to Jehoobers organization. They do it much better than you and they've got a huge infrastucture already in place to sell it.

free2b. If you are interested in a very interesting period of post WWII history I encourage you to read David McCulloughs biography "TRUMAN". It comes through quite clearly that Pres. Truman never second guessed himself about the A Bomb decision. Regrets? maybe, but in the context of wishing the whole situation had never happened. The Japanese were defeated but had turned into a nation ready for virtual suicide. The Bomb(s) stopped it cold.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Want to know the top reasons for why we dropped it ...

1. We spent so much money on developing the bomb, that if we did not us it, it could have lead to serious political trouble.

2. With Germany falling, we knew Russia would soon be joining the Pacific war and Truman did not want that.

3. There were several false estimates coming out that the amount of troops needed to take Japan's main island would be more then 1,000,000. Something that has been disproven many times, especially since Truman had intelligence that the Japanese were going to surrender.

I have read in many location, that in private discussions, he had regrets. If he didn't, then I think he is an ass. Who kills 100,000's of civilians and thinks it is great. Our country used the bomb irresponsible, and yet we justify it with all this information about how it needed to be done. Which is a lie or since we are former Witnesses, something we should be more familiar with "A HALF TRUTH."

• Gregor
    Gregor

Respectfully, I think you are misinformed. Certainly no one missed the grim and sad results of this action. Japan surrendered in a matter of days.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Well your informative thought provoking response as changed my wicked little mind.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    The Japanese were defeated but had turned into a nation ready for virtual suicide. The Bomb(s) stopped it cold.

Er... where they "defeated", or where they "ready for virtual suicide"? Where they "ready for virtual suicide", or would they surrender?

You can be sure that Truman second guessed himself, what with so many great minds from Albert Einstein to Ellis Zacharias pleading with him not to use the bomb(s).

"...in [July] 1945... Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. ...the Secretary, upon giving me the news of the successful bomb test in New Mexico, and of the plan for using it, asked for my reaction, apparently expecting a vigorous assent.

"During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of 'face'. The Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude..."

- Dwight Eisenhower, Mandate For Change, pg. 380

In a Newsweek interview, Eisenhower again recalled the meeting with Stimson:

"...the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing."

- Ike on Ike, Newsweek, 11/11/63

• Gregor
    Gregor

"The final decision of where and when to use the atomic bomb was up to me. Let there be no mistake about it. I regarded the bomb as a military weapon and never had any doubt that it should be used. The top military advisers to the President recommended its use, and when I talked to Churchill he unhesitatingly told me that he favored the use of the atomic bomb if it might aid to end the war."

Harry Truman "The final decision" : Memoirs, Vol.1, 419

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

No I don't see it happening in an 'attack.' However I do think we'll see one go off on accident in one of these bassackwards countries that's trying to build one! I mean come on these guys can't even build a digital watch and they want to build a plutonium trigger device?!

"umm I tink da blue wiah go deah"

"No dat da red wiah go hea den da blue wiah go....!

That mistake has long since been corrected, and they could not win a conventional war if it was held today, against all the surrounding countries

Your wrong on that Israel would wipe the entire region off the map (without resorting to nukes) if they could get away without any political backlash! They are LOVING the war that's going on now because the day is coming that the world throws up it's hands and says "kill them all..." Israel will too!

As to the bombs in Japan do a bit of research before you blast off! The atomic bombs killed lots of people but some of the bombing raids on Tokyo killed more! If the bombs hadn't been dropped MANY MANY MANY more civilians would have died in a 'conventional' war! Read about the fire storms as the paper houses burned generating HURRICANE force winds actually picking people up and hurling them into the flames as they tried to run! Children actually pulled out of there mothers arms! Horrible horrible things so if you kill 100,000 in 'conventional war' and it's ignored you kill 100,000 in a GIGANTIC mushroom cloud to get their attention! Guess what though it almost didn't work! The japanese generals were refusing to surrender after the first atomic bomb! If you need proof of that all you have to ask is why drop a second bomb? Why didn't japan surrender immediatly? The answer is they weren't going too! They were flat not going to give up! Hell I've even read that after the second bomb many generals were refusing to surrender!

Now as to the bomb being used today... I think even if terrorist HAD it most wouldn't use it! I know many disagree but if they did they KNOW that the world (or at least the US, and UK; the french wouldn't do shit) would really really start killing! Many will say "the US is doing that now" well right now you don't see soldiers going door to door just killing everyone! I think a nuclear strike would unleash a terrible vengeance "old testament" style RIGHT NOW! No one (even the crazies) really wants that!

• free2beme
    free2beme

Truman might have released small quotes like this, but even on the history channel there is mention of his misgivings. Just because you read one bias book, does not mean you have heard the rest of the story. Now, since we are talking more about the moral issue of using the bomb as a weapon. I would like to make clear, I do not think we had the right to use the bomb in the way we did and attack civilians. That is against the rules of war and when you break the rules, one day someone is going to break them on your country. As a side note, I have lone since thought "the rules of war" were an oxymoron.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit