Do you think a nuclear weapon will be used in war or terrorism in our time?

by free2beme 55 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

With all those nukes out there, and all the countries that have them or are making them. Do you think it is something we should expect, that in our lifetime a nuclear weapon will be used in war or an act of terrorism? I personally think it is possible, and I think it would be the middle east that would see this happening. Although, if it did happen, do you realize how many people that would kill and how that would affect our environment? Yet with so many out there, it seems like it is highly possible. I remember an elder saying in the 1980's at a assembly, "Nuclear war will not be the tool used by Jehovah to bring about Armageddon." Yet, that was such a open statement, as the society never said there would not be one, only that it would not be God using it. Which allowed them a preaching opportunity, even after a nuclear attack and another non-absolute statement to play with, even in a worse case scenario. What do you think though, do you think a nuclear weapon will be used in war or terrorism in our time?

• blondie
    blondie

So actually your question has 2 parts:

Will God prevent nuclear war?

Will humans prevent nuclear war?

Blondie

• free2beme
    free2beme

Not so much God, as I think the Witnesses were actually trying to prepare themselves in the 1980's for a post nuclear attack. So that they could say, "look, we never said that Jehovah would use nuclear war as the end." I don't think there is a God to stop it. I think things happen for a reason and if man attacks one another with nukes, it might lead to an awakening to our suicidal nature. Maybe we will truly seek out a better world, with 2 thirds of the population killed in anger.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I used to think it wouldnt but now I am not so sure. I am not worried about some country in the middle east lobbing a nuke at the US. I am worried about the N Koreans doing it. As far as nukes going off in the middle east, if it happens, I think that it will be Israel that strikes first.

• aniron
    aniron

Some believe that descriptions in Zechariah are about a nuclear war.

(sorry can't remember exact scriptures and don't have a bible with me)

• free2beme
    free2beme

Isreal seems to be getting a little trigger friendly these days, which I think is because of all the political problems against them in the region. If that happened though, it could lead to a bigger war. Isreal won the six day war, because of a mistake made by their enemies. That mistake has long since been corrected, and they could not win a conventional war if it was held today, against all the surrounding countries. Which makes me think, they would go nuke and that is opening the genie in the bottle in an already unstable part of the world. Not to mention, could you image what the price of gas would go too? Hello, $8.00 per gallon.

• Robdar
    Robdar

BTW, Jehovah has nothing to do with it. If it happens, it will be all man's fault. Armageddon, as spoken of in the Bible is nothing but a story. Unfortunately, we have religious nut cases in this world who believe the story and think that they are doing the work of the Lord. If they don't get a grip on themselves, they will be the ones that end life as we know it on this little blue planet.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It never happened during the time of the cold war and it's unlikely to happen now. Would the Arabs push the Israelis too far knowing that they have nuclear weapons?

As for the terrorists it's a nightmare scenario that they will get nuclear weapons but both the USA and Russia do not want that to happen. It's unlikely to happen due to fear of massive retaliation against their countries.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Unfortunately, yes. If not an actual nuclear bomb, perhaps a "dirty bomb", that is, a conventional explosive device used to scatter radioactive material that could contaminate an area for possibly hundreds of years.

If and when this happens the retaliation against the perps. will be like nothing ever seen before.

• serendipity
    serendipity

The US has already used radioactive weapons in Iraq in the early 90's. I do think a nuclear weapon will be used at some point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit