Truthfully..do you think you are being shunned or.......

by Snoozy 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Many on here say they are being shunned by their family members.In some case this is probably true. But seriously..could it be that they have a life and they may not have time for you anyway? Or finds you not too much fun to be around?

Do we use the religion as an excuse and that just maybe it is US they don't care to be around and has nothing to do with the religion?

I find a lot of people on this board are hostile with the religion. Maybe it is their attitude that keeps their loved ones from coming around them. If you can move on with your life and not argue with them when you are around them possibly they may want to be around you more?

I have a daughter that is going through some hard times with a boyfriend that just won't work! Well I can can understand and sympathise with her and talk about it with her..but the way she goes on and on about him..could make a person nuts! I just don't care to be around her right now. I'm there if she needs me but she knows what he is..yet breaks up and goes back with him and breaks up and goes back with him.

Seriously..it may pay to take a look at how we act around them to make sure we have our priorties straight.

They choose to be the religion they are. We can't usually change their mind. Why should we? They have their life and we have ours. If they want to say.."We can't associate with you because you aren't a JW.".so be it. Pick up the pieces and go on with your life. If they change their minds they will know how to find you.

I think sending the card was a nice thought. Let them know you still care about them..but it's their call. Why sit around and waste your life waiting for them to come around? If it is going to happen it will. If not..so be it.

Snoozy Q...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm not so sure folks are so militant in real life. I suspect that most of us bite our tongues unless something outrageous is said.

Personally I neither bring up religion or the JWs in conversation with friends, family, colleagues, or at Fests. I'm sure you'll agree that it isn't because I have no opinion on such subjects

So in answer to your question - it's shunning.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Snoozy,

I haven't read any of your other posts, so I don't know how familiar you are with JWs. You seem to be very uninformed about the Watchtower's disfellowshipping policy.

I've sent cards only to have them returned unopened with the message on the outside to the effect that "we don't accept junk mail at this house" or even "Get out of my life!"

They hang up on me when they recognize my voice and won't open the door when I pay a visit. They make up and spread wicked stories about my past that have no resemblance to the truth.

I'm a positive person, and I'm respectful of others. I know JWs don't want to talk religion with anyone who left their organization, so I would never talk about it with them unless they brought it up.

Surely you know all this is true. So what's your point, really?

Frank

• minimus
    minimus

I've been avoided by Witnesses. It just happened this week. It's ok because I don't care about whether or not they look down on me or not.

• greendawn
    greendawn

My take is that some dubs do not shun but many do shun and these really mean it as a religious action and not anything else eg not having time. Obviously this is wrong when it's done because of holding dissenting views or silly things like celebrating Birthdays or Christmas.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

I'm assuming Snoozy has not been disfellowshipped. I think most of us just want a relationship with our family, and don't care to talk about religion or get hostile in any manner. Boy it would be neat if I could just move on with my life and accept that I'm a nuisance to my family simply because I don't share the same beliefs. Nothing has changed in my personality since leaving (ok, I am more accepting of others views), I'm the same fun loving fella they loved to be around before... no no, it is surely something I did.

FBF

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I know of a couple of ex jw's that went a way overboard when they discovered the truth about the truth. They thought their dub relatives were stupid for not being able to see the through the WT lies after they told them all about their new found information. It's all they wanted to talk about and even I got sick of listening to them. It scared their dubbie relatives and it went down hill from there. As a general rule though I think it is shunning.

• fjtoth
  • Grammy
    Grammy

When you are in the grocery store and the elder who "Brought you and your husband in the truth" way back in 1974 sees you, stops dead in his tracks and turns and goes the other way like he had seen Satan himself...would you call that shunned? Well, perhaps not...maybe he just remembered something he needed to get on the other side of the store which is where he went. P. S I have not said a word to any JW except my husband since disassociating myself in 2000!

• Grammy
    Grammy

So sorry about the text size

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit