Children who claim to remember past life

by frankiespeakin 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fleur
    Fleur

My child told me more than once when she was about three that she chose my "tummy to grow in." she said that she had to choose who would be her mommy and she chose me because she knew I'd be the best one for her.

I chose to accept it as a sweet compliment from my baby, indication that I was doing an okay job. I wondered about the possibilities behind the statement, then I wondered...if she got to choose, and she chose me, how did I get my mother, cause I wouldn't have chosen her!

essie

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

INQ,

Im not saying it is wrong to be sceptical. I'm just not willing to spend a lot of time typing to something that refutes something that is not substancial to the subject and that most people know when it come to a 2 or 3 yr old there are the average and the above average intelligents. And even if it were unbeleivable would be an indication of something paranormal.

But your questioning the ability of a 2 yr old is in effect saying the whole research was a scam, and that the researchers were putting words in the mouth of this child, which I find absurd and very very unlikely.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Essie,

Researcher tell us that we may choose difficult next life to learn important lessons, and that our choice may invovle choosing a less than ideal next life willing to suffer for what ever lesson we need to learn.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

INQ,

Another thing to keep in mind is that the researchers may have spoken in proper grammer in relating what the 2 yr old was saying in baby talk. We do it all the time. But reguardless I don't think it is a point that troubles me at all.

• kid-A
    kid-A

"Researcher tell us that we may choose difficult next life to learn important lessons, and that our choice may invovle choosing a less than ideal next life willing to suffer for what ever lesson we need to learn."

Which Researcher has said this and can you provide the volume, page and citation numbers from the peer-reviewed journal it was published in? I have provided 3 published references giving alternative and rational explanations for the phenomena you are discussing. The above statement is making some rather remarkable assumptions, wouldnt you agree? I would very much like to see your evidence for these statements, published in peer-reviewed journals and REPLICATED by other researchers. Remarkable claims require remarkable EVIDENCE, not a collection of unsubstantiated babbling from infants.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Essie.. a beautiful thought from your kid, to be sure...

In that period between lives where we make the choice as to what life we live is actually made by your higher self. Down here in the mortal coil, pain is so real to us. In fact, we often focus on the pain in life, rather than the lessons taught (even when the person giving the "lesson in pain" does not intend to do us any good).

When we are free from that pain, and free from the misconception that the pain is real and eternal, (i.e. when our ego is gone, and all that is left is the "higher self") we can see life simply for the things we have learned, no matter how painful. In this way, we can choose a life that will teach us the lessons that we feel we need.

I hope it doesn't sound like I am belittling the problems you had in childhood, as I totally understand (especially in my own life right now) just how real pain is to us in this world.

FMZ

• Robdar
    Robdar

Researcher tell us that we may choose difficult next life to learn important lessons, and that our choice may invovle choosing a less than ideal next life willing to suffer for what ever lesson we need to learn.

What lessons are the "researchers" suggesting that we are supposed to learn by our suffering? I agree that reincarnation is a possibility. What I don't agree with is "researchers" telling me their theories of God, Life, Justice, what lessons I am supposed to learn in this life, etc. It smacks of religion.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    most people know when it come to a 2 or 3 yr old there are the average and the above average intelligents.

The speech of young kids reflect their developmental progress. Pick up a textbook on Psychological Development or Psychology of Language and you will have all the proof you need that kids at 2 years of age CANNOT speak as well as your 2 year old even if they wanted to. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH INTELLIGENCE.

And even if it were unbeleivable would be an indication of something paranormal.

So now there is something paranormal about the two year old?! That's strange. The 2-year-old's Dad didn't seem perturbed by this paranormal ability.

Look I can help you with your case here. Why don't you just go back to that orginal narrative and change it to FIVE year old. Then you don't need to worry about this linguistic scandal any further.

But your questioning the ability of a 2 yr old is in effect saying the whole research was a scam.

Then it probably is. I don't care. I'm only interested in the fact that a 2 year-old cannot talk like that. End of story. If that pokes holes in the bigger picture, that's the author/researcher's problem not mine. If I am not allowed to question this, how can you deny saying "it is wrong to be sceptical"?

that the researchers were putting words in the mouth of this child

No , it doesn't have to be the researchers. It could be the narrator of the story. It could be the kid's parents. But that does still make the research invalid. But you're tired of hearing this aren't you?

INQ

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the researchers may have spoken in proper grammer in relating what the 2 yr old was saying in baby talk. We do it all the time. But reguardless I don't think it is a point that troubles me at all.

The linguistic study of 2 year-olds needn't be found in research papers, Frankie. These are so fundamental that they're in TEXTBOOKS now. And no, a 2 year-old sounds like a babe because he or she IS A BABE.

I have yet to see a BABE PRETEND TO BE A BABE. The 2 year old you mentioned is a fake. Unless, you have "accidentally" forgotten to mention that he is a 5 year old. INQ

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Kidd,

Please give the link like i did in this thread. My link if you clicked on it would have had all that you request below:

Which Researcher has said this and can you provide the volume, page and citation numbers from the peer-reviewed journal it was published in? I have provided 3 published references giving alternative and rational explanations for the phenomena you are discussing. The above statement is making some rather remarkable assumptions, wouldnt you agree? I would very much like to see your evidence for these statements, published in peer-reviewed journals and REPLICATED by other researchers. Remarkable claims require remarkable EVIDENCE, not a collection of unsubstantiated babbling from infants.

here is the link first:

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/personalitystudies/publications.cfm#Reincar-articles

Here is a partial list:

Books and Articles by Division Staff

Faculty members of the Division of Perceptual Studies have published numerous books and articles on reincarnation, near-death experiences and other related topics.

NOTE: The books are presented the most recent publication at the top of the list, and the articles are presented in chronological order, which means the most recent articles are at the bottom of each list.

The articles can be ordered from the Division. There is a small charge to the general public for each article reprint. Please contact us for further information. Our e-mail and postal addresses are in the lower left corner of every page of this site.

Links to the publisher are provided for some of the books. The division does not sell the books that have publisher links. Other books are officially out-of-print but can be obtained through the division, as noted below.

The Flora Levy Lecture in the Humanities

An important autobiographical lecture given by Dr. Ian Stevenson in 1989.

Half A Career with the Paranormal

An essay by Dr. Ian Stevenson as it appeared in the Journal of Scientific Exploration, vol. 20 (1) Spring , 2006.

Other books recommended by our faculty

RESEARCH ON REINCARNATION AND RELATED PHENOMENA:

Books available through the publisher or booksellers (those with links) or through the Division of Perceptual Studies (without links):

Life Before Life: A Scientific Investigation of Children's Memories of Previous Lives by Dr. Jim B.Tucker. St. Martin's Press, September, 2005. 256 pages. ISBN:0312321376 (hardcover). This book reviews our forty years of research with children who report memories of previous lives for the general public. Dr. Tucker, who currently directs this research, describes recent American cases as well as Dr. Stevenson’s classic cases in Asia. Read a review of this book as it appeared in the Journal of Scientific Exploration , 19 (4), 2005 , by Harvard Biologist Michael Levin.

Larry Dossey, M.D., author of The Extraordinary Healing Power of Ordinary Things , calls Life Before Life “extraordinarily important” and C. Norman Shealy, M.D., author of Youthful Aging—Secret of the Fountain , notes that it “adds to the increasingly impressive science of consciousness and the continuity of mind/memory.”

In 1997 Dr. Stevenson agreed to let Tom Shroder, an editor at the Washington Post, travel with him through India, Lebanon and the United States as he investigated cases of children who seemed to remember previous lives. Shroder, with Dr. Stevenson's permission, wrote a book based on those experiences called Old Souls: The Scientific Evidence for Past Lives. It was published by Simon and Schuster in 1999 and is available through any bookstore or online book seller. This link is for the hardcover edition, ISBN 0-684-85192-X.

This book is also out in paperback with a slightly different title, Old Souls: Compelling Evidence from Children Who Remember Past Lives from Fireside (a Simon and Schuster imprint) , ISBN 0-684-85193-8.

Books on Reincarnation by Dr. Ian Stevenson

1. Chapter 19 "Reincarnation" by Dr. Ian Stevenson, in Parapsychology: Research on Exceptional Experiences , Edited by Jane Henry. Routledge, 2005. ISBN: 0415213606 (paperback). This book is an overview of current thinking in the field of parapsychology. Leading researchers from the U.S. and U.K. offer their expertise regarding current psychical research. Beginning with an introduction to the methodology used, the book addresses topics such as telepathy, precognition, psychokinesis, healing, apparitions, out-of-body experiences, and reincarnation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit