Apart from JW's, do others still feel 1914 was a turning point in history?

by jwfacts 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Depending on perspective, 1914 may have been a significant point to some. I recall my Grandmother, who was never a witness, referring to that year as significant. She would have been about 14 when the WW started. She recalled the Spanish Flu, and how they stacked the bodies up in our little town.

The industrialization of the west was brought to task in that war - never before had so many resources been used to further a conflict, and the industrial society made much of that possible.

Jw's use many quotes to prove that others thought it was a 'turning point'. I'm sure that it was to many of that era.

Of course, the invisible messianic kingdom had nothing to do with that.

Jeff

• james_woods
    james_woods

I would just guess that only people who habitually watch History Channel could tell you offhand when WW1 or WW2 started. I bet that Jay Leno could find plenty of people on the sidewalk who could not answer what year the War of 1812 started. Most anyone today would say WW2 was a far more significant event than the first WW.

It is really pretty shameless of the JW to try to say they prophesied WW1 - show me one shred of evidence. However, in the 60's they would incessantly quote some newspaper guy who erroneously claimed that they had prophecied WW1 as "a remarkable fulfillment of prophecy" or some such. In point of fact they were expecting the coming of Christ and the end of the worlds "false religions". I always wondered to myself when they brought this up - "well, OK...but where did you prophecy the BIG ONE, WW2"?

How ironic - they did the false prophecy, and then later modify what they said - quoting a worldly source who was flat wrong about their actual teaching.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

As seen from a purely European point of view, the First World War could be considered a turning point in history - but only one of many, many other events over the millenia. The way the JWs tell the story, of course, 1914 was THE ONLY turning point in history!

As seen from a soldiers' point of view of any war - the war they fought in would be the pivotal event of their lives (I remember that from high school, where many of the teachers were returned servicemen from WWII).

As to quoting others who seem to agree with the WTS:

- No matter what idea you express (crackpot or otherwise), you can usually find somebody who will agree with you.

- Also, you have to ask yourself when it was that such persons made that remark - and under what circumstances. For example, the infamous "Truth that Leads to Eternal Life" book of 1968 quoted ontime West German Chancellor Konrad Ardenauer as saying that his country "has never known peace since 1914." When Ardenauer made that comment (if indeed he ever did!) - was that before or after seeing the 61 years of stability that Europe has enjoyed since the end of WWII (Bosnia excepted)? Did he say that before or after seeing the prosperity his country has achieved since that time? - or before or after the collapse of the old Soviet Union? ect. ect. ect.

- One thing is certain, the WTS is rather selective in whom they quote.

The observations of a raggedy-arsed electrician, anyway!

Jack.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Let's face it, when before in human history has ONE GENERATION seen all the events prophisied in Revelation for the time of the end? Hasn't the GENERATION OF 1914 seen wars, pestilince, famine, and the preaching of the glorious Good News of the kingdom? Think of how it all fits! When before has a generation of people seen mankind go from horse and buggy to rockets and nuclear bombs in ONE LIFETIME?

No, wait, my mistake...

That's the old light.

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit