Apart from JW's, do others still feel 1914 was a turning point in history?

by jwfacts 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lieu
    Lieu

No, aside from WWI. (Actually, Russel changed the date a few times.)

Russell and Miller had some issues with numerology. Dude was (and most of his followers today are) serious number nut(s).

When the JWs try to figure out dates, they remind me of occultists looking into crystal balls. I've never seen so many lust so hard to find a date they aren't supposed to know anway.

I never did believe the date stuff and I always felt dirty when it was discussed at length in a lesson.....Jws are like Adam & Eve in the fashion they think its alright to steal (knowledge) from God because they'd like to know.

My .02

• Lieu
    Lieu

For the above post..... it should say : Russel changed the date and formula a few times until it fit 1914. Patterned after Miller, of course.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

According to Rutherford nothing Russell did was relevant to the Kingdom he was preaching:

"[Since] "the death of the apostles .. the gospel of the kingdom of God and of his Christ was not preached until after 1918 A.D." {WT Dec 1 1928 364}

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Here's another interesting quote of what they HAD predicted occur in 1915:

"Be that as it may, there is evidence that the establishment of the Kingdom in Palestine will probably be in 1925, ten years later than we once calculated." {The Finished Mystery 128}

And note that Rutherford was still yet pushing out new dates for the events predicted for 1915, they weren't hailing themselevs as having been successful, unlike the modern WT revisionists.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

Do people in general ever think of or discuss 1914 as being a year of any significance?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WWI was a major turning point; it's aftermath put into place the seeds for WWII, which defined the world for the next 50 years.

Outside of WWI, the looney tune gold-nuts will tell you the US Federal Reserve started in 1914, and the loonier ones identify that with the beast of revelation (wish I was joking...)

-silent

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Pete you are full of great quotes.

Here is another. 1914 was the age of Aquarius, so an important year for astrologers.

Zion’s Watch Tower 1903 May 1 “AN ASTROLOGER’S OUTLOOK We seriously question all the claims of astrology; yet the following… seem remarkably true to our expectations based upon the Word of the Lord…Saturn is the representative of the great motive power that has dominated the mind of man up to the present time. … Jupiter, representing law, religion and morality, has been perforce subservient to Saturn’s greater and more potent force…When Uranus and Jupiter meet in the humane sign of Aquarius in 1914, the long-promised era will have made a fair start in the work of setting man free to work out his own salvation, and will insure the ultimate realization of dreams and ideals of all …

When all the people born prior to about the 1980's has died 9/11 will probably be remembered as the turning point in history. That was when the threat of war was replaced by the threat of terrorism. Terrorism is more worrying than war as it can happen to anyone at any time. At least war is expected.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    When Uranus...

jwfacts, I just KNEW Theiranus was involved somehow in all that crap they were publishing. Thanks for the clarification.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

AuldSoul,

That's because they AreSouls, lol, sorry no pun on your name.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The answer the the question from http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-endtimes22jun22,0,7902314.story?page=2&coll=la-home-headlines

Underlining the sense of urgency is a belief that the end-times clock started ticking May 15, 1948, when the United Nations formally recognized Israel.

"I'll never forget that night," Hagee said. "I was 8 years old at the time and in the kitchen with my father listening to the news about Israel's rebirth on the radio. He said, 'Son, this is the most important day in the 20th century.' "
  • kwr
    kwr

I thought Russell's belief came from the Millerite movement? BTW is it true that Russell was of Jewish Hertiage?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit