BANNED FROM COLD CALLING in SCOTLAND

by DannyHaszard 28 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    Knock, knock, who's there? No Jehovah's Witnesses or double ... comment box Scotsman, United Kingdom - 7 hours ago
    DOOR-to-door salesmen and Jehovah's Witnesses have been hit with a council ban in the first initiative of its kind in Scotland to protect residents from ...

Knock, knock, who's there? No Jehovah's Witnesses or double-glazing salesmen

FRANK URQUHART DOOR-to-door salesmen and Jehovah's Witnesses have been hit with a council ban in the first initiative of its kind in Scotland to protect residents from unwelcome cold callers. Angus Council has joined forces with Tayside Police and Neighbourhood Watch to set up six "no cold-calling zones" throughout the area, with plans for more than 100 eventually. Doorstep cold-calling is often used as a smokescreen by criminals to prey on vulnerable households, particularly the elderly. Pilot schemes, where signs and window stickers warned off would-be door-to-door sellers, significantly reduced general crime figures in the area, according to council research. Placards, warning uninvited representatives that they are entering a "no cold-calling area", have been attached to neighbourhood watch signs in the six zones. Window stickers are also being used to warn potential callers they are not welcome. However, party canvassers calling at houses during local government, Westminster and Holyrood elections, have been excluded from the scheme. Chief Supt Bill Harkins, the divisional commander with Tayside Police, said: "Tayside Police is fully committed to and supports any initiative that will assist in the reduction of crime and the fear of crime within our area. Doorstep crime often involves the elderly or vulnerable members of our community." Karen Kelly, the chair of neighbourhood watch in Angus, said: "The Angus executive neighbourhood watch committee all agreed that all watch areas in Angus should become 'no cold-calling areas'. "Nobody wants bogus callers or pushy salespeople and we think this is a positive step to prevent unwanted callers." A spokeswoman for Angus Council said research had revealed residents unanimously supported the introduction of "no cold-calling zones". She said: "The scheme is about people not approaching anyone's house without a prior arrangement. It is an advisory scheme and is not enforceable and we are just inviting people to co-operate. "The scheme will not apply to political party canvassers during local and national government elections. The scheme is to stop doorstep selling and to deter those that are coming to give you their sales pitch." She added: "There are plans for 118 zones to be set up across the county, covering neighbourhood watch areas. This will be the largest number of 'no cold-calling zones' in the UK. It builds on the work carried out in the county to drive out rogue doorstep sellers." The new "no cold-calling zones" in Angus are being supported by BT, which has donated £3,000 to the campaign. Trading Standards Institute research has found 96 per cent of people do not want salespeople calling at their door, while 25 per cent reported having a bad experience with a cold caller in the 24 months prior to the survey. Brendan Dick, BT Scotland's national manager, said: "Congratulations to Angus for its wholehearted approach. People should not have to put up with uninvited intrusion into their homes or the mis-selling of services and we are very happy to support this initiative." ---------
    [email protected] contact above paper with your supportive comments

Salesmen Knocked Off Salesmen and Jehovah's Witnesses have been... related article Daily Record | 5 hrs ago SALESMEN and Jehovah's Witnesses have been banned from turning up on people's doorsteps unannounced. Comment? at topix JW forum -------------- Danny Haszard's initiative NO TRESPASSING SIGNS
    Watch new special about stalkers UPDATED

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Salesmen Knocked Off Salesmen and Jehovah's Witnesses have been... Daily Record | 5 hrs ago SALESMEN and Jehovah's Witnesses have been banned from turning up on people's doorsteps unannounced. Comment? at Topix JW forum [email protected] contact above paper

• greendawn
    greendawn

"Doorstep cold-calling is often used as a smokescreen by criminals to prey on vulnerable households"

That suits the WTS well since they are nothing but cultic criminals using religion to promote their interests and profit out of it. They destroyed many families through the shunning policy and caused death and great heartache to their members with the blood and anti army policies.

On top of exploiting their R&F as unpaid distributors of their publication products.

• LittleToe
  • DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

' I MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE'
    Chicago Sun-Times, United States - 1 hour ago
    ... incriminate him. FBI agents he mistook for Jehovah's Witnesses showed up there, too, while he was playing with his kids. They even ... ..."It was about 7 p.m. -- eight days before my golf outing. I was playing with my kids. Kathleen was upstairs. The doorbell rang. I saw two individuals at my front door -- a woman and a man. My first thought was they were like Jehovah's Witnesses or somebody trying to sell something because they had little satchels.

Door_Knockers-WEB.jpg
    jehovah_vacuum.png
  • Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Hmm, hope it spreads across Scotland, I might even go back home.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Tis the start of the persecution! PMSL!

Excellent work Scotland!

DB74

• Gadget
    Gadget

This will have no effect on the activities of Jehovahs Witnesses.

It is an advisory scheme and is not enforceable and we are just inviting people to co-operate.

The jws will 'obey gods law rather than mans' and ignore the invitation, and just continue knocking on doors as before. If it were to become law expect a case to be brought that its against their human right of freedom of religion. The only consequence I can see from this is they thinking they are being persecusted, and so strengthen their conviction they are right.

Paul

• dozy
    dozy

Brothers in Forfar have already confirmed that the ban does not apply to Jehovah's witnesses.

I see you approve of the "ban", LT. On what basis? Is it your present view that all door to door evangelising by religious groups is wrong and should be banned by the secular authorities?

• james_woods
    james_woods

In my previous little thread on "neo Green River Ordinance" here in the USA - I got called a namby pamby weenie liberal (so to speak) by poster KWR from West Virginia because I strongly support such measures. Specifically: (and I quote) -

With the three subjects you listed it seems you have a problem with the Constutition (sic) of the United States. You could always immigrate to a nanny state like the UK.

I interpret the Constitution of the United States to strongly support the right of law-abiding citizens to own and enjoy private property with the freedom from unwanted interruption all the hours of the day and night. The three subjects of reference were police breaking open a homeowners door without knocking, the use of eminent domain to seize private property for commercial purposes (like a shopping mall), and the stubborn upholding of the right of religious and political nutcase solicitors to knock on doors without regulation. These were the subject of recent rulings of the supreme court with which I disagree, and apparantly poster KWR approves of them all.

There is also the obvious public safety issue, as highlighted by Danny. Several murders have been precipitated by phony door-to-door salesmen. The WT society even opposes lawful registration of door-to-door solicitors.

Maybe the UK does have this one right!

I have visited Scotland, and I liked it. They of course pour their fine scotch without sufficient ice, but at least they give a man a full measure, unlike the public houses of London. Their ladies are good looking, too - in those long black outfits. (at least when I was there in about 1990).

James

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit