BANNED FROM COLD CALLING in SCOTLAND

by DannyHaszard 28 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• simplesally
    simplesally

I sometimes get cold calls from young men selling 'tickets' for their raffle at school ..... a school not even located in my city. They are inner city kids from I don't know where and I am a lot surprised to see them at my door at 8pm!! I wish it was a ban here. I don't need gardeners knocking on my door 'surprising' me with a bid on my tree trimming.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Kid-A:
    That is also excempt, as it's a "hot call", hence my:

• dozy
    dozy
    LT "So you appear to present a view that is egocentric and ignorant."

Takes one to know one..........!

Actually , I never claimed that the ban was against JWs - I thought that it had already been established that religious and political callers were exempt.

And yes - I am ignorant of the efforts of evangelicals. Whose fault would that be , then? In over 40 years , living in an areas of Scotland with a very high penetration of evangelicals , how many times have I been called on , at home or at work? That'll be zero times , then! In truth , as an admirably honest evangelical minister told me when I called on his door , the expression "evangelical Christian" is a misnomer - they don't evangelize. Keep to the "Haggis & Drambuie" (or maybe Talisker might be more appropriate!)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    Takes one to know one..........!

You know that's lame and infantile, doncha?

Whose fault would that be , then?

Are you going to pin all the blame on the WTS, or take some yourself, for not researching things properly? Ah, my friend, we've all been there. Ignorance is bliss

how many times have I been called on , at home or at work?

Strange, I've never been called on by JWs, not even accidentally at work

In my neck of the wood "informal" witnessing is incredibly active, and you barely get through a day without something being said by some churchgoer.

(or maybe Talisker might be more appropriate!)

Wrong island, but nice try. Not a bad drop of stuff, albeit a little rough. I have a brother who lives less than 10 miles from the distillery, though

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

This will make my case to a Jury all by itself,should they ever defiant trespass on my property) {....This particular Saturday, the couple did not encounter any signs saying “No Trespassing” or, even more direct, “No Jehovah’s Witnesses.” The couple said they’ve dealt with such rebuffs before, and others in the group said their overtures are sometimes met with slammed doors and hostility. The Witnesses said they are not fazed. “We don’t just write that person off the list. We go back again,” Robert Cohran, 67, said. Sometimes, the person is still unwilling -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.newsok.com/article/1877409 from here June 24 2006 noontime Witnesses take message to doors KWTV Oklahoma City | 1 hr ago By Carla Hinton [email protected]
    The Oklahoman The small group of people gathered in the Kingdom Hall meeting room listened as Myles Burcham told a joke he first heard on “The Tonight Show.” “The problem with the CIA finding Osama Bin Laden is that they should have turned to the Jehovah’s Witnesses. They would have found him,” Burcham said. Burcham and his fellow Jehovah’s Witnesses chuckled. They said they have heard many similar jests, seemingly created at their expense. But Burcham said their persistent door-to-door witnessing is really no laughing matter They are serious about what they do, including a recent campaign to personally invite the community to attend the Jehovah’s Witnesses district convention, set for Friday through July 2 in Norman. “We appreciate jokes like this,” he said. “We know we have a reputation for that, but that’s what the Jews did. That’s what Jesus did.” Burcham said the basis for the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ ministry work is a command found in the Bible in Matthew 24:14: “And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited Earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” It’s a good thing to be renowned for one’s diligence, Burcham said. Coming to a home near you The annual district convention is expected to draw Jehovah’s Witnesses from across the metro area for baptisms, messages of faith and a special dramatic presentation titled “To Whose Authority Do You Submit?” Burcham, a Mustang resident, is spokesman for the 2006 event. He said the special door-to-door campaign under way is to make sure community members know they are welcome to attend the annual gathering, even if they are not Jehovah’s Witnesses. On a recent Saturday morning, groups of witnesses fanned out into the Oklahoma City area surrounding the Kingdom Hall at 5801 N Shartel. One group, headed to the far northwest Oklahoma City neighborhood of Mesa Pointe, included Burcham, 61, and his wife, Donna, 59; Robert and Bonnie Cohran of Nicoma Park; Garland Davis, 35, of Oklahoma City; and Jill and Levi Crowley of Midwest City. Parking their cars on a cul-de-sac in the housing addition, members of the group began knocking on doors, convention invitations in hand. The Witnesses typically keep territory map cards that show their kingdom hall boundary areas, but those boundaries don’t apply to the convention campaign. Door-to-door dilemmas The face-to-face encounters come easily for the Cohrans. They are cordial to the homeowners who open their doors to them, and they shrug good-naturedly when some doors remain closed. Bonnie Cohran, 62, said some people are asleep Saturday mornings, and others may not be at home or may be too busy to answer the door. “This is an enjoyable work about 99 percent of the time,” she said. “People are really nice to us, and I appreciate their kindness.” This particular Saturday, the couple did not encounter any signs saying “No Trespassing” or, even more direct, “No Jehovah’s Witnesses.” The couple said they’ve dealt with such rebuffs before, and others in the group said their overtures are sometimes met with slammed doors and hostility. The Witnesses said they are not fazed. “We don’t just write that person off the list. We go back again,” Robert Cohran, 67, said. Sometimes, the person is still unwilling to talk to the Witnesses after six months or a year. They said other times, a new family has moved in that is more receptive to the Witnesses’ words of faith. The Cohrans said they have been Jehovah’s Witnesses since 1966, and they were apprehensive about witnessing door to door at first. They now go out six days a week to share their faith. “We are really interested in people’s lives,” Robert Cohran said. “Whether they want to be involved with Jehovah’s Witnesses, most people have a Bible. We talk to them about the Bible because we believe the Bible has the answer to all the world’s ills.”

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

It will be interesting to see what the Witness response will be.

In the 30s and 40s in the US and elsewhere, the friends suffered beatings and imprisonment and tested their rights in the court system for the sake of the Good News.

Today's Witnesses or rather the Society doesn't seem to have the same resolve. They will probably engage in telephone or letter writing instead and simply try to press the matter in the court system.

Having said that, such a law would be likely unconstitutional in the U.S. and is, in any case, a travesty against the notion of freedom of speech because it allows the government to prefer one form of speech (political speech) over others.

Very undemocratic of Scotland and something more like the Taliban and a host of other lands where freedom is lacking.

-Eduardo

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It's hard to be fair about this.

JW's knock on your door offering a "FREE" but very expensive in LIFE personal bible study.

They are more business than religion - religion is a front for their real estate and book publishing business.

Interestingly, the founder of Christianity, Jesus Christ, never felt the need to write his story and offer it on a donation basis.

We live in different times.

Democracy is not what it used to be.

People shout and scream "our rights", BUT

de·moc·ra·cy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d
    n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies

1. Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
    2. A political or social unit that has such a government.
    3. The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
    4. Majority rule.
    5. The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.

In this instance, democracy has been used to ban door-to-door salesmen.

Stop whinging all you liberals - at least you will get an uninterrupted Saturday morning lie-in.

And now, I expect to see a massive campaign in Scotland soon:

"PEOPLE OF SCOTLAND, YOU ARE BEING DECEIVED!"

straight from Paul at the British Bethel.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

As has been said before - this is NOT a law.

It is a neighbourhood policing/community safety response to a big problem. The problem is that criminals use the 'cover' of cold-calling to identify empty properties, or to gain access to the houses of less-than-alert householders to commit crime.

The effect will be (hopefully) that residents who see people going door-to-door in an affected area will report it to the police who will (hopefully) check it out.

In UK law generally, there is an 'implied invitation' to anyone to approach your front door for lawful purposes (i.e. anything not illegal) unless the householder specifically makes it clear otherwise.

'Trespass' is a civil, not criminal, offence in the UK (generally). The 'victim' can sue for damages through the civil courts if they can show a finacial loss.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Police slam doors, church gripes comment box Taunton Gazette, MA - 1 hour ago
    RAYNHAM - Jehovah's Witnesses claim a Raynham police policy violates federal law by interfering with their religious obligation to go door to door to perform ... RAYNHAM - Jehovah's Witnesses claim a Raynham police policy violates federal law by interfering with their religious obligation to go door to door to perform public ministry.
    Police require anyone doing door-to-door solicitations or sales to notify them beforehand. "We certainly don't do it for any religious or ethnic reason," Police Chief Louis J. Pacheco said. "We do it for everyone. I don't care what you're selling." In a May 30 letter to the Board of Selectmen, Paul Polidoro, the associate counsel for the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, said several Jehovah's Wintesses have complained to him about the policy. He sent a similar letter in 2004. "Our ministers have informed us of several recent incidents where your police officers have advised our local ministers that they must provide Raynham police with a prior notification telephone call before they can engage in their public ministry," Polidoro wrote. "We trust that this incident was the result of a lack of communication between the town of Raynham and its police department. We also trust, given the clearly established federal law, that there will be no further obstruction of the public ministry of Jehovah's Witnesses by Raynham police officials." Polidoro could not be reached for comment, and no one else from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society Legal Office returned calls by press time. The police often get calls from concerned residents when they see someone walking up to houses in the neighborhood, Pacheco said. "They do it during the daytime, and in a town like Raynham, half the houses are empty during the day," Pacheco said. When they get calls reporting a suspicious person, the police have to send out cruisers to make sure the person isn't a burglar, he said. If police know about a door-to-door solicitation beforehand, they can better assure homeowners. This eliminates the need to dispatch a cruiser and reduces the likelihood of police officers bothering public ministers and salespeople. "We never have any problems with the people out there doing their business - whether it's selling vacuum cleaners, educational products or religion," Pacheco said. "But the problem is that bad guys can use them as cover." Selectmen Chairman Donald McKinnon sided with Pacheco. "Citizens have every right to say, 'Who is this individual?'" McKinnon said. "The Police Department and citizens have every right to question their identity." Polidoro's letter referred to a 2002 case, Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York Inc. v. Village of Stratton, in which the Supreme Court ruled that the policy in Stratton, Ohio, of requiring door-to-door solicitors to fill out permits was unconstitutional. Pacheco said he was not familiar with the case. "We definitely don't want to infringe on people's rights, but in the law enforcement business there's a trade-off between individual rights and public safety," he said. "We have to balance these." [email protected] reporter send coments [email protected] call us at (508) 880-9000 or fax us at (508) 880-9119. http://www.raynhampd.com/form.htm Contact Raynham police online form

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit