Harassed about filling out new blood card...

by slimboyfat 32 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

An elder in my congregation asked me again yesterday, for about the tenth time, whether I have filled out my new blood card yet - is this normal? It is getting embarrassing as I just keep saying I have not got round to it yet. I am getting the feeling that it is being used as a sort of loyalty test. I had hoped to avoid the issue and it would just go away, but I am now considering filling it in just to keep him happy. I have got rid of the old one that was in my wallet anyway. The thing that was holding me back from this new one is the clause about the elders being able to access your files - does anyone know any more about that and whether hospitals would really allow elders to nosy into personal files in the UK?

Does anyone know if there is a way to file a statement with your doctor telling them to ignore the blood medical document/HLC without this getting back to the elders?

Pathetic, I know - wish I could be done with the whole nonsense!

Slim

• vitty
    vitty

You could fill it in then throw it away. Or you could scrub out that particular sentance and state that you DONT want elders seeing your personel, private medical notes thankyou very much......................what could he say?

• Scully
    Scully

Tell him you did and thank him for his diligence.

And if he asks to see it, tell him that it's with your confidential file at the doctor's office.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Just mark out the part you disagree with or have it filled in then throw it away and never use it. If the Elder asks again tell them what is said and why you don't like the wording giving Elders a right to look at your medical files. That it is none of their business.

Just have a regular Medical power of attorney made and have it given to a close friend outside the JW's and your doctor. It is none of the WTS business how you handle your medical situations. In fact AJWRB we encourage people to bar the JW's from the patient so they can have blood transfusions in secret and all the medical staff are usually willing to help with that if necessary. Speak to your doctor and tell them the situation before it ever comes up.

I would say that Elder's pressure on you about the no blood document is excessive and unusual.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Slimboy - I personally think it's an invasion for them to even ask to allow access to medical records (section 6). For what reason? hardly to support anyone over the blood issue.

See section 8? Statement of Witnesses? ''The person who signed this document did so in my presence. He or she appears to be of sound mind and free from duress, fraud, or undue influence''.

You ARE under duress. Surely this blood card came out in January - and it's now June.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sign it at the hall or bookstudy before two witnesses (including Elder Gestapo) and then promptly file it in the trash when you get home. The Doctor will only have what you take to him, as the Elders don't send it, so if it never gets there you don't have to go through all that elaborate nonsense.

• Mary
    Mary
    The thing that was holding me back from this new one is the clause about the elders being able to access your files - does anyone know any more about that and whether hospitals would really allow elders to nosy into personal files in the UK?

Um, okay, I'm absolutely speechless .......this is what the new bloodcards actually say??!! That by signing it, the elders have full access to your medical records?! Holy Christ, is there no end to their control methods??! This is just unbelievable.......and I think it's more than obvious why they want access to them and it certainly isn't to "help out" during a crisis. It's to make sure you've never secretly had a blood transfusion.

Before my surgery a few years ago, I discussed the blood issue with the doctor who was going to be doing the surgery. I was stressed enough at the time and did not need the additional stress of worrying about the possibility of me dying due to the "no blood" doctrine, so I talked to my one sister (who left the Borg years ago) and I decided to have my own blood stored in case I needed it during surgery. The doctor was relieved and happy that I was taking this step and assured me that I wasn't the only Witness to do this. That surprised me and I asked her how many Witnesses have actually 'caved' and accepted a transfusion when necessary. She told me "..about 50%..."

I'm sure the Society must know that more and more Witnesses are 'secretly' accepting blood transfusions, which of course, denies them the right to disfellowship them. If you give them access to all your medical records, they can go in at any time and see if you've ever accepted any sort of treatment for which they do not approve. That way, they can DF you and you've got no recourse.

Slimboy, I would do what others here have suggested: take it to the Hall, get the nazi bastards to sign it, put it in your wallet and when you get home, tear it up and throw it away.

Unbelievable........

• blondie
    blondie

I saw several suggestions I would use in the same situation:

(First that clause about access to your files by the elders is optional)

1. Cross out that clause with a black marker.

2. Fill it out and show him but shred it later and toss it out at home (dont give out any copies; of course if he is pushing a POA on you, they aren't valid without 2 proxy signatures, and 2 eyewitnesses signatures. These people may expect copies so that may cause other problems.)

3. Don't let yourself be bullied on this. Just say you have taken care of it. If he asks to see it, ask if this is a new policy of WTS that publishers are to automatically reveal personal medical information to the elders. Tell him that it is confidential and that the appropriate people have been made aware of your wishes. Remember that your medical wishes encompass more than blood, such as organ transplants, do not resuscitate, etc.

In the past, elders were expected to mark off on a list that they had seen the signed medical directive of each person in their book study.

Blondie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Since you retain the only signed copy, the only way Elders can look at your medical notes is if you file it with your Doctor. If you don't do this then you are in the clear. Don't stress

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You could tell the elder that you are not comfortable with the part about going through your personal files. If enough people complain to the elders it will get back to Bethel and they may be forced to change it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit