Ex-JW convention visit ended violently

by observer 12 Replies latest jw friends

• observer
    observer

Ex-JWs in Finland have every year arranged demonstration during district convention in Helsinki since 1999. Sometimes one or more apostates have peacefully visited in the rented icehall which is the convention place across the street from demonstration place.

In summer 2004 JW's ordered doorkeepers who work there by the owner of the icehall, to bring out one very widely known apostate from the audience in the middle of program. Attendants said he took photos and videotaped, which he really did without any disturbance, which they claimed was forbidden and wanted to remove him from the hall. They also forbidded attending of several other apostates which came from the demostration place across the street. Previously attenting apostates were allowed but they were constantly followed by attendants who were ordered to do so. In 2004 shadowing of apostates in the hall was very intense.

He was beaten outside of the convention hall by the doorkeepers, police was called and criminal investigation was started. Finnish police decided later, that removing him from the hall and refusal of letting several other apostates into hall was right thing to do althought the Finnish law says everyone has right to attend public meetings like convention held in rented hall is.

Humoristically constructed video which is called "Dooms Day" (Dooms Day for Apostates) about this quite serious event is available here (lenght 5 min., finnish text).

http://mediasiilo.1g.fi/Tuomiopaiva/Tuomiopaiva_pieni.mov

• freetosee
    freetosee
    He was beaten outside of the convention hall by the doorkeepers

Was the beating by the doorkeepers j ustified according to the police?

Nice video! They seem to be afraid of cameras.

freetosee

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Attendants said he took photos and videotaped, which he really did without any disturbance

So I guess there must be a ban on delegates taping the Convention and Videoing the drama? I doubt that very much . One rule for one and not another. I would have liked to be there when he was taken out. No doubt he made as much noise as possible..

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Thanks for the thread,i love this s**t

• DannyHaszard
  • observer
    observer

>>Was the beating by the doorkeepers justified according to the police?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Look for a return of the canes soon.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    Look for a return of the canes soon.

You may be right Gary, but they would probably use them to stop people from walking out theses days, with so many losing interest or leaving altogether.

I always thought that the places used for dcs were classed as public places for worship, open to anyone. Obviously not now.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Apparently the JWs were fearful that he was going to use the recorded material to produce something against them, the bottom line is they feel insecure about their ideas being publicised in this way because they are often so strange.

• Fleur
    Fleur

My god Gary, that was from 1940 and they were doing that stuff? And here I thought that in the 'time of the end' that things were growing worse every year and they had to be ever more vigilant *rolling eyes to the point of passing out*

essie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit