Does anyone else have high Cholesterol?

by nicolaou 28 Replies latest watchtower medical

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Turns out I've inherited this genetic condition whereby my body doesn't regulate cholesterol properly. Even though I eat quite sensibly and exercise my cholesterol is at 7. I'm not overweight, I don't smoke and I only drink with friends.

Now the doctor tells me I have 6 months to bring my cholestorol under control or I'll be on pills (statins?). No red meat! No sausages! No eggs or cheese! No crisps or peanuts! No bag of chips from the chippy all hot, salty and swimming in vinegar! No lamb shish kebab smothered in chilli sauce!

I'm greek and food was always a big deal for me. We all eat tons of salad, vegetables and fruit and loads of chicken and fish but I really did enjoy all these occasional treats. How did food turn into my enemy?!

This sucks. It's only been a week and I'm farting like a bear and snapping at everyone around me - I want a great big juicy sirloin steak with english mustard on the side and a separate bowl of chips!!!

...sigh...

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Any useful recipes would be appreciated. What snacks are good?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Hi Nicolau, my husband had high cholesterol. They put on a drug called Vytorin. His blood cholesterol is normal now. He still loves to eat a greasy burger every now and then. I keep a lot of fruit and popcorn in the house for him to snack on. I don't cook much, so I keep lowfat pre-packaged dinners in the house.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Here's a site for you to get some recipes from.

http://www.deliciousdecisions.org/cb/results.cfm

• Scully
    Scully

If you've got a genetic condition that predisposes you to having elevated cholesterol levels, going on a strict dietary regimen is only going to make you miserable ... is that what you want to do for the rest of your life, Nic? It may not even help the cholesterol levels improve by much.

Mr. Scully has been on medication for a couple of years now (statins), and he gets to enjoy the kind of food that he likes. Our diet is healthy with lots of chicken and fish, and red meat only on special occasions. We have big salads and veggies every day. Our Dr's philosophy, considering that our lifestyle was mostly healthy (we aren't as active as we used to be, but are working on that too) is that the condition needed to be treated - it's like diabetes and needs to be managed for the rest of Mr. Scully's life - so the meds help solve the issue without needing to make drastic changes in lifestyle. With the meds, the only thing he absolutely CANNOT have is anything containing grapefruit or grapefruit juice. With the drastic lifestyle change approach only, you can end up feeling like you have lost your quality of life.

We have changed from having cake/pie/cookies for dessert to having fruit or something more health conscious than not, and I've always purchased "fat free" and low fat products so there isn't much left to cut out. Our favorite veggie dip is a low fat tzatziki, or I make my own with fat free plain yogurt and fat free sour cream. We also use fat free salad dressings (except when we make a Greek salad ... olive oil, lemon juice and garlic is the only way to go! ) and why not try them as vegetable dips too?

• yucca
    yucca

my doc told me to take fish oil so I take salmon 1000 mg it took a few months but now I have good cholestrol. I only use olive oil to cook with. Hope this helps

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

By way, what is considered "high" for cholesterol? I mean a level that needs meds and change of diet?

• garybuss
    garybuss

I take one 10 mg Vytorin every day and it cut my cholesterol about 60%. The statins do bother my sleep a LOT. Vytorin has some of that but not as bad. So far it's the only thing I can tolerate that works.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I've been on Lipitor (atorvastatin calcium) for several years now. It works like magic, there are no side effects, and I can eat anything I want.

• acadian
    acadian

Hi Nicolau, High cholesterol levels are an indicator of early drought management by the body. Cholesterol is a clay-like material that is poured in the gaps of some cell membranes to safeguard them against losing their vital water content to the osmotically more powerful blood circulating in their vicinity. Cholesterol, apart from being used to manufacture nerve cell membranes and hormones, is also used as a "shield" against water taxation of other vital cells that would normally exchange water through their cell membranes. So the first ? your doc should ask you is, how much water do you drink in one day? Because even though you may not think you are dehydrated high cholesterol is one sign of dehydration

Now the doctor tells me I have 6 months to bring my cholestorol under control or I'll be on pills (statins?).

Then follow this link and learn the benifits of plain water. I would try that first before introducing toxic Cholesterol med's which are going to attack your liver.

"Bad Cholesterol": A Myth and a Fraud

Also I encourage you to learn all you can about "Salt water rehydration therapy" using unrefined sea salt (not table salt) and pure water no chem's.

Life's Water is Free...

Kind Regards

Acadian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit