Easy, Healthful Snacks - Suggestions wanted.

by AudeSapere 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Well you are having an adventure, aren't you? Just not what you had in mind, lol? Hey, I snack healthy too, and I love Mauna Loa macadamia nuts with some cinnamon sugar sprinkled over them. Or, fresh pecans mixed with dried cherries or dried blueberries, kind of your own trail mix. Dried apricots or peaches are tasty too! There's always peanut butter and graham cracker sandwiches, too. Best wishes!

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

These were all good suggestions, but eating corn out of a can..... brilliant idea. It never occurred to me you can do that (I'm doing it now). I always thought that the corn was half raw and you had to cook it. Learn something new everyday.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Virgochik - I keep a little jar of peanut butter in my desk draw for emergencies. I'm going to have to get a jar to keep upstairs next to my computer. A little protein to keep off the shakes. Never had it on graham crackers. Hmmm. Sounds good. And about that trip... I guess I won't make a good travel companion this year. Damn...! Unless you want to push me in a wheelchair??

Thecarpenter - I still don't see the allure of eating veggies out of a can. I'll leave you and elsewhere to your own special buffet!!

Thanks again everyone!!

Feel free to add more here if you think of anything.

-Aude.

• Mary
    Mary

Rice cakes maybe as a snack? Raw veggies, trail mix.........

• jgnat
    jgnat

Diabetics have to snack all the time. It's too easy to reach for the high-fat versions. My dietitian taught me a trick. I buy the 'snack' size ziplocks and fill them with portion-sized veggies, popcorn, cheerios, whatever. In the "dry" snack bags I toss in a half-dozen nuts. I was shocked and dismayed to find out that SIX PEANUTS is a portion. What a bummer. So I trick my tummy by sneaking the peanuts in with the popcorn, puffed wheat, or cheerios.

The little portion bags help you keep track of what you are eating, are pre-made, and therefore easy.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't know if you have this where you live but tahina which is sesame seeds crashed to a paste, is very nice when mixed with honey and spread on bread. It keeps very well and it is very nutritious and healthy, much better than cakes loaded with processed oils, doughnuts etc

• rebel8
    rebel8

3 things I like:

home made granola, made by adding a small amount of brown sugar and cinnamon to oats and dry roasting them in a skillet over low heat (about 1 tbs sugar : 1 cup oats).......add nuts/seeds/fruit when cool....not as sugary as store bought kinds & less fat.....and tastes good.

roasted chick peas.....drain a can & stir in some oil and spices....be liberal on the spices....arrange in one layer in a roasting pan and roast at high heat until they're dry and crunchy....stir every so often to ensure they don't blacken on one side.....do several cans at once--you'll be surprised how tiny they end up to be.

my new favorite store bought snack is Ritz chips....they aren't fried....mmmmm

Darn, now I'm hungry!

(PS, your doctor's staff should do some crutch walk teaching with you.)

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

yeah, and almost anything from "Trader Joe's" snack/chip isle... Wasabi covered pea's... MMMMMMMmmm

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

::yeah, and almost anything from "Trader Joe's" snack/chip isle... Wasabi covered pea's... MMMMMMMmmm

Oh Yeah Trader Joe's snack aisle! There are tons of really good snack options there from whole wheat crackers, peanut butter crackers and soy flax chips which don't sound good but I promise they are really good, they come in plain and spicy (both are great). There are also popcorn cakes and sesame chips etc alot of them are baked not fried...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit