Easy, Healthful Snacks - Suggestions wanted.

by AudeSapere 18 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

This is an extension of my other thread ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/114967/1.ashx) but seemed to warrant it's own heading since it will probably attract different people and can have so many other applications, too.

Since I'm home alone nursing a broken ankle and injured knee, getting downstairs to make breakfast and other meals is pretty difficult right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for foods to keep upstairs that are reasonably healthy and do not require refrigeration? I can bring up a coffee pot for coffee and tea. I like water and my tap water is drinkable. I'm looking for something to eat at night and in the morning before getting ready for work without having to slide down the stairs on my butt and then back upstairs - again on my butt - to get dressed. For one thing, it wears me out. I'm not supposed to be standing much at all and would prefer to find a few good things to keep on hand upstairs so I don't get dizzy from hunger but also not just empty calories.

I would think that these food suggestions would also be great for keeping in a napsack for kids-on-the-go and for keeping in a desk drawer at work.

The easier the better (since i'm incapacitated for a few weeks).

Y'all did great on the other thread so I'm hoping for some more good suggestions here.

Thanks in advance!! Bon apettit (sp??)

-Aude.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

A bowl of Fruit?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

OFG - Oh yeah. Fruit would be good. I usually keep mine in the fridge so didn't think of this. Which fruits keep the longest when set out on a counter?

-Aude.

• Scully
    Scully

Buy some single servings of non-refrigerated pudding/jello. If you can bring a toaster upstairs, try keeping a loaf of bread or bagels (pre-sliced) and some peanut butter, "nutella", honey or single servings of jam/jelly (like you get in restaurants). What about a bowl of fruit (apples, bananas, oranges)? Cereal bars? Fruit cups?

Since you're bringing a kettle upstairs, keep a few packets handy of hot chocolate, "cup-a-soup" and instant oatmeal (in addition to coffee and tea) in your favorite flavors.

Get some nice bottled water and pick up some single packets of Crystal Light for different flavors. Juice boxes of real apple juice and orange juice are good too. If you can get someone to fill up a cooler with ice (or better still if you have an electric cooler), you can keep your drinks cold for a while.

These are the kinds of things I recommend to new moms who have just had a c-section and aren't supposed to be going up and down stairs too much.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Nature Valley granola bars are great (or any other granola bars like that) they have fat in them but not bad saturated fats and alot of good protein. Also I don't know if you like nuts, maybe get a nut mixture or almonds or peanuts. A handful is a great snack and good for you too (I'm trying to think of things that I eat that aren't refridgerated, since you probably don't have a fridge upstairs).

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

I believe it all keeps well on the counter... the only thing I regridgerate are oranges, but that's just cause I like my oranges cold... but i definaly like my bannanas room temperature..

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I love to munch on raw peanuts... I never did like them roasted.

Rice Chex cereal.

Raisins

Canned foods (Yup, as a bachelor I like to open a can and eat the contents with a spoon while watching TV... corn, spinach, greens, sweet peas, etc...)

Make sure your spoon is the right size... Life sucks when your spoon is too big.

• Fleur
    Fleur

Scully beat me to it with the great suggestions! I also recommend dry cereal that you can munch on...animal crackers...if you like those little cheese-cracker or peanut butter crackers those are handy too. Granola bars have saved me from starvation on more than one occaision! graham crackers are good.

Fruit is great if you can get someone else to wash it first! Otherwise I find that unless you're talking bananas (peel and eat) that they're too much work when you're injured. Also forgot to mention in the other thread, be very careful about trying to do stuff when you take your pain pills (if they gave you any) cause you don't know how dizzy or disoriented they'll make you if you, say, try to wash your hair in the sink.

Man, I cannot believe how much of my life I have spent with an injured pedal appendage LOL I'm pathetic! LOL but at least maybe some of my experiences will help you out!

hugs

essie

• damselfly
    damselfly

Well if this was me, I would just get dressed and ready to go before going downstairs to eat.

Big bowl of fruit (oranges and apples keep well), nuts and protein bars along with good fruit juice.

Dams

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Great Suggestions here. All very doable. And good to set at work, too.

Scully - Perfect! All those things are totally doable. Since I like plain water, I don't need the flavored stuff but the food ideas will keep me nourished a little better.

misanthropic - no fridge upstairs so your suggestions are good. Nuts would give me the protein to keep from shaking. Nature's valley granola. I think I have a box in my pantry downstairs.

OFG - I've gotten so used to eating fruit chilled (except bananas). I'll have to try a few at room temperature. Worth a try at least.

Elsewhere - Chex Cereal. hmmm That would work. Probably cheerios, too. They don't need milk when eaten as a snack. Peanuts and other nuts - yup. I will get some. Thanks! I don't think I'm desparate enough to eat veggies out of a can. Not yet, anyway. I don't know how anyone can do that!!! And about your spoon... well, no comment

Fleur - Cheese or peanut butter crackers. I feel a Costco run in my future... You are right - fruit sounds like a good idea but I it's tough to manage cleaning *me* let alone fruit that wants to roll away. I'm on pain meds but chose lower dosages mostly because I am alone and need to maneuver the stairs. I don't want to risk getting myself into a stupor and find that I need to make a quick exit. I was dizzier the first two days but think my body is adjusting to the drugged effect. Nothing fancy, just tylenol and codeine. The meds in the hospital made me naseous and I decided it was easier to live with some pain than the hassle of keeping a bucket nearby at all times (like I did the first 3 days). I really am sorry that you've got so much experience with all this but I'm equally grateful that you are sharing your 'tips' with me. Thanks so much!!

damselfly - I normally would 'just get ready' and then go downstairs but it's too big of an ordeal right now with the injured leg. Cutting out even just one trip down helps alot. Plus I'm a bit shaky in the mornings right now so something upstairs will keep me safer, save time and conserve energy so I can still go earn a little living. Nuts and bars - Yup. Good suggestion.

Thanks everyone. This is going to help me make my recovery much smoother and safer.

And if you've got any leftovers - well... think of me

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit