So I Finally Dissassociated Myself...

by arecibo 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• arecibo
    arecibo

Hi Guys,
    Just want to say how great it is to be able to talk to people in the same situation. Sometimes it feels like there's no-one who can really understand what it's like being brought up in the JWs. It seems to exacerbate the isolation when you finally do get out.
    Here's the story (i'll try to just give a general overview):
    I'm 29 now. My mother joined the Witnesses when I was quite young, but I never wanted to be in it. Unfortunately, when you're young you don't have a choice of going to the meetings or not. As I got older the 'separation from the world' kinda happened by itself, as schoolkids love humiliating (and beating the crap) out of JW kids. This meant that all my friends(!) ended up being in the JWs. The teachings also seeped in through the monotonous repetition at the constant meetings.
    My mother also told me from a young age that if I ever left the Witnesses, she would throw me out of the house. For a kid who has been brought up in the witnesses this was a terrifying thought, as the outside world is supposedly full of demons and run by Satan.
    When I started working (it was a fight to be allowed to go to uni!), I used working late as an excuse not to go to the meetings, which continued for some years until I finally I stopped going.
    I've finally moved out into a flat of my own last month and it feels fantastic. It's bittersweet though as my mother wants nothing more to do with me, unless on family business. She doesn't take kindly to my newly found athiesm and application of the skeptical method, proclaiming fire and brimstone on me at every opportunity she gets. But it means I can finally get into contact with my other aunts who my mother has alienated through her bigotry.
    It's been hard getting out, although from a young age I knew i needed to do it. But leaving the witnesses is like being covered in tar; you can't just wipe it off and you're free of it. It takes a lot of deprogramming and knowledge of how cults work to get rid of the conditioning (i'm been in therapy for 2 years). I still get anxiety attacks, agoraphobia as well as other things, but it's worth more than anything being free.
    Today I wrote my letter of dissassociation. 13 June 2006. That last outpost on the road to freedom.
    Here's to the people still trying to break free.
    Tim

• Swan
    Swan

Welcome A recibo !

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    It's been hard getting out, although from a young age I knew i needed to do it. But leaving the witnesses is like being covered in tar; you can't just wipe it off and you're free of it.

I love the analogy.

Welcome to the forum. This forum has been my therapy for the past couple of years - thank God [pardon the expression since you are an athiest now].

Jeff

• enlightenedcynic
    enlightenedcynic

May I be among the first to say welcome. It must be tough, being disconnected from your mom and any close associates you had in the org, but cheers to you!!!

You have begun your journey down the road of freedom. It is my wish to one day join you and all the others who have left this cult.

Best Wishes,

ec

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Today I wrote my letter of dissassociation. 13 June 2006. That last outpost on the road to freedom.

Go buy a whole bunch to 2006 vintage wines... then every year on June 13th, open one up and enjoy it.

Every year you are out will produce an even better wine to celebrate with.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

welcome arecibo!

if you want to run your DA letter past an experienced crowd we'd love to read it.

welcome and I'm happy for you that you found this place!

freedomlover

• arwen
    arwen

Welcome to the "we're out" club. You and I will have to get together each June to celebrate. I just sent my disassociation letters out last Thursday. It is a big step to take to make that last step out and I am sure we will shake that tar off in time. Congratulations on your courage...Arwen

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Good going!
    BTW, Arecibo is the name of the town where my mom was born in Puerto Rico. Is that where you got your nick from?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi arecibo, welc ome to the board, and welcome to freedom.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome to the forum arecibo!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit