I hate going to the meetings!

by slimboyfat 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

'It is sad that there are so many faithless people here. But the meetings are for our good. Sure it is difficult, but what alternative is there? Another Duh."

Spoken like a faithful JW. Or, rather a rat stuck in a maze, "Sure its bad, but I can't find my way out!" There are a plethora of possibilities or alternatives to your current experience. But you have to be willing to explore them, which may mean thinking for yourself and taking the risk of failure here and there. With freedom comes the responsibility of making choices. Ya make some good ones and you succeed, bad ones and ya fail. When we fail, ah, that’s where/when we learn. But you can't learn about 'alternatives' very well in a vacuum, ala the Watchtower Society.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Auld Soul,

I go to meetings because I feel that some at the hall have been very generous to us and I owe it to them. Plus, it has become a way of life even if I don't enjoy it like I once did - I wouldn't know what to do with myself otherwise. Plus there are family member to please, of course - although that is not as big an issue as it is with some people since only a few family members are Witnesses.

I for one don't have much faith.

Slim

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I go to meetings because I feel that some at the hall have been very generous to us and I owe it to them. Plus, it has become a way of life even if I don't enjoy it like I once did - I wouldn't know what to do with myself otherwise. Plus there are family member to please, of course - although that is not as big an issue as it is with some people since only a few family members are Witnesses.

A cry for help if ever there was one.

sbf:

I go to meetings because I feel that some at the hall have been very generous to us and I owe it to them.

Them? You're going to the meetings to please people, not Jehoover?

Plus, it has become a way of life even if I don't enjoy it like I once did - I wouldn't know what to do with myself otherwise.

Use some imagination for God's sake! There's a big, fascinating world out there to explore.

Plus there are family member to please, of course - although that is not as big an issue as it is with some people since only a few family members are Witnesses.

Family members? You're going to the meetings to please family members, not Jeheeber?Family members who can be pleased by you giving up your free will in order to worship the WTS are family members you can live without. True story.

Sad.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

sbf,

I understand that you are very much your own person and will continue to make your decisions for reasons that you deem valid. In view of the fact that I already know that, please don't think I am trying to convince you otherwise.

But I am curious: You owe these generous folks $50 a week in perpetuity? Why? (calculated at a rate of $10/hour, assuming you don't take time to dress, spend no time onsidering the material in advance, aren't ever a speaker, etc.)

I understand getting caught in a routine, but there are very rewarding community service opportunities that have more real-world immediate benefits to real people than sitting around parroting words you don't even believe. I wonder if you have considered dropping one meeting at a time and taking up community activities: like perhaps becoming a Boy Scout troop leader, a Big Brother, finding out who in your neighborhood has children that neet mentoring, visit elderly and infirm, volunteer at a hospital...there are definitely things that are fulfilling and productive to occupy your time.

As always, just offered as a viewpoint to consider.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/jul92005/panorama161633200578.asp

Buddha taught humanity to be grateful. But we should not be bound by gratitude. Our gratitude should free us; not bind us. Four people were carrying a boat on their head. Someone asked them why they were carrying it. They said, “We are grateful to the boat that it has helped us cross the river. Our gratitude does not allow us to abandon the boat.”

Religion should set us free and not bind us. Many people use religion to hold people in bondage and then kill the spirit of religion.

oooooook i'm not saying go be a buddhist but this swami fella puts it in better words than i could

the rest of his article wasnt bad either

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I used to think like you slimboy. I grew up in a congregation that drummed in that you never miss a meeting no matter what. It was such a habit after so many years that even when I realised it was all lies that I still felt guilty every time I missed a meeting.

Wait until you are disfellowshipped. The way you are treated will quickly change you mind as to whether you owe anything to anyone there.

• Suzie
    Suzie

I used to go to the meetings and do the whole routine just to please my friends. I have no family there, so that wasn't the case for me. But I had friends like I had never had before. I felt horrible if I missed a few meetings because they seemed so disappointed. But in time, I stopped concerning them when it came to my meetings. If you go, it should be for Jehovah and not friends/family. WHen I came down to it, I would rather them be disappointed in me now instead of waiting til Armegedon. Looking around for me and disappointed that they thought I was so "holy", when I am not.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sheesh, it's like going to watch the same hated movie every single weekend. In the long run, why? There are many more movies, and many more meetings out there that are much more fulfilling and interesting.

Clear the debt with the Witness and be done with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit