Remember the Panorama programme on JWs a few years ago? Question

by evergreen 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Matty
    Matty

There certainly was a formal apology broadcast for a BBC programme about the Witnesses, but it was not Panorama - it was another BBC documentary shown some years before.

• Matty
    Matty

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/bsc/pdfs/bulletin/bulletin27.pdf

Everyman: Sleeping with the Enemy

BBC1, 13 December 1998

The Broadcasting Standards Commission has partly upheld a complaint from the Jehovah’s Witnesses about Sleeping with the Enemy, an edition of Everyman about the relationship between religion and conflict, broadcast on BBC1 on 13 December 1998. The programme included an interview with a man whose marriage to a Jehovah’s Witness had broken down because of religious differences.

The Commission considered that viewers should have been informed of the source of film and cartoon material broadcast in the programme, to avoid giving the impression that this was currently used by the Jehovah’s Witnesses. It also considered that the juxtaposition of the footage and the interview sensationalized and over-simplified Jehovah’s Witness beliefs. In these respects the Commission found unfairness to the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

In other aspects of the complaint, the Commission found no unfairness. It considered that there was no need for the Jehovah’s Witnesses to have been given the chance to comment on the personal story about the marriage breakdown. The Commission did not consider that comments made in the programme about political leaders perverting the message of religion for their own ends was aimed at the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Accordingly, the complaint was upheld in part.

Upheld in part

• Gadget
    Gadget

"I did not hear from Holly for 18 months. She called one day from Indianaand sa1d she wanted to come home. I sent her a bus ticket and picked her up in (Ascutney), Vermont. She was thin, she was sick, and she had parasites. When she dismounted from that bus, she asked me, "Why did you let that happen?" And I said, "Why did I let what happen?" And this was the first time that I heard about the sexual abuse that had happened to her.""

Are we talking about the same programme? The Panorama I watched on UK tv featured a family from Scotland, not USA. Jon Briggs, who I've known for many years, was sent from the northeast to be their new PO and try and clear things up.

The thing is, Jon was involved in some things (not connected to child abuse in any way) where things were covered over to protect the reputation of some elders even though it seriously screwed over some publishers. It caused ructions in the local congregation, plus 2 nearby ones, and ended up with a CO's visit being cancelled for another hall so he could go in and fix it.

I thought it was rather ironic to send somebody to fix a mess caused by things being covered up, who had been involved in things being covered up himself.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Let's see, we have:

It was proven that a lot of lies were spoken in the documentary
    Yep!...a couple of weeks later...
    that is the transcript from the actually programe...the apology came a few weeks later....DUH!
    Yes...I did see the apology...when it was boardcasted a few weeks after the actually Panorama program.

And just so we know we're still talking about child abuse here --

Are you aware that the truth is that the elders were never told of sexual abuse by Paul Berry at this time by the mother,

OK, so is the apology posted by Matty the apology you were referring to? Or is it a totally different one? Obviously it MUST be a different apology since you were speaking about the Suffer the Little Children program on Panorama.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Gadget, please check your PM

Slim

• Matty
    Matty

In the United Kingdom everyone has the right to make a formal complaint about any TV or Radio programme they consider has made incorrect or unfair statements.

The current body to contact for such complaints is Ofcom (http://www.ofcom.org.uk). Before 2003 however it was The Broadcasting Standards Commission who handled such matters. If any complaint is upheld – wholly or in part - the adjudication has to be shown and read by the broadcaster concerned in a similar time slot to when the programme was first aired. The Everyman documentary had such an announcement, the Panorama documentary did not.

If any complaints were officially made about the Suffer the Little Children Panorama none were upheld (i.e. found to be warranted) as no apology has been given by the BBC over the content of the programme.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I have just gone through the Broadcasting Standards Commission archive from July 2002 (when the programme was broadcast) to January 2003, and Panorama is mentioned once, for a different programme, and the complaint was not upheld.

I am really surprised, considering that "Suffer the Little Children" was just a load of apostate lies, that no-one, let alone the Watchtower, made any complaint............

• aniron
    aniron
    ...and the BBC had to make a formal apology for it. It was proven that a lot of lies were spoken in the documentary and those that took part...including the woman that produced the programe were very anti-JW.

The BBC made no formal apology or any apology of any kind.

It was not proven that lies were spoken in the program. If so why did'nt the WT take the BBC to court over it. Also why was the Elder in the case highlighted givena prison sentence if it was all lies.

The woman producer later appeared in an interview about the program saying how meticulous they were over producing it so that no one could accuse them of lying or defamation.

I know of two Elders who left the JW's afterwards not because of the program but because they discovered the two witness policy was true. One of them discovered that a peadophile was in his congregation, but the Judical Committee had kept it quiet because of the two witness rule.

The lie here is the quote posted above, obviously a lame attempt by a JW.

• Number 6
    Number 6

I also recall the program broadcast a short time later featuring the host, who stated that Watchtower sources in the US and UK were given numerous opportunities to appear on camera to give their side of the story.

They declined all offers.

Also remember all the cases featured were about JW's who had been convicted in a court of law for their crimes, it was not as if allegations were being made.

I followed the BBC News and Panorama website for several months after the initial UK broadcast and never once saw anything resembling a 'formal apology' from the BBC.

Craig

• glitter
    glitter

Are we talking about the same programme? The Panorama I watched on UK tv featured a family from Scotland, not USA. There was the Scottish girl, the two American girls, and an English bloke who were featured in the episode.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit