Remember the Panorama programme on JWs a few years ago? Question

by evergreen 36 Replies latest jw friends

• evergreen
    evergreen

Yes, many will remember the Panorama programme shown on channel 4 (uk) a few years ago. The one that highlighted the child abuse scandal and the disgusting manner in which the borg deals with it.

Then when the letter was read out to the congregations a week or so later addressing this issue by dismissing the programme by simply saying that Two witnesses were needed before a person could make an accusation.

What were your thoughts at the time? (anyone)

What did you think about the programme that had been shown?

If you were rank and file at the time , did it shock you?

Did you view yourself as being quite spiritually strong at the time but then suddenly find yourself having serious doubts about the borg because of this programme?

• Kero-kero
    Kero-kero

Yes...and the BBC had to make a formal apology for it. It was proven that a lot of lies were spoken in the documentary and those that took part...including the woman that produced the programe were very anti-JW.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I was out of the borg at the time but remember my mother saying something about the program which was about to be aired and that it was going to be one sided. At the time I was in the middle of my own investigations as to why the elders had covered up the systematic abuse of my then ex wife in North Wales, I thought that our situation as it was then was unique and to realise that this had happened all over the world disturbed me greatly, even though I had been out for a number of years at this point.

I remember the evasiveness of the GB member going on about data protection laws and refusing to comment further; in my view this reinforced my view that the WTS was just like any other organisation.

Out of interest were the R&F told not to watch this program or was the message more subtle?

My mother for obvious reasons wont tell me what was actually said and only what she perceives the directions from the platform were; we all know that what the wittlesses perceive they are being told and what is actually being said is often at odds.

DB74

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Yes...and the BBC had to make a formal apology for it. It was proven that a lot of lies were spoken in the documentary and those that took part...including the woman that produced the programe were very anti-JW.

This is the first I have heard about it; when did this come to light and can you direct me to some sources? DB74

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

What a load of bullcrap! Back your assertions up if you can. I met with one of the producers, Shabnam Grewal, a very modest and diligent researcher.

• Kero-kero
    Kero-kero

Yep!...a couple of weeks later...I think it was after another Panorama prgrame they made a formal apology.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/22/32222/1.ashx

the above is from Lady Lee's best of series the panorama program transcript, if anyone wants to dig around and see if there was an apology of any kind broadcast. i didnt see anything but the above link has other links to related topics.

• Kero-kero
    Kero-kero

Ummmm! yeah...well....'HELLO@ that is the transcript from the actually programe...the apology came a few weeks later....DUH!

• Jourles
    Jourles

A formal apology back then would have been big news on this board. I was following closely ALL of the news programs at the time. Nothing was ever said about an "apology." If it was made, there must have been a huge apostate coverup of biblical proportions cuz I never heard a peep about it. And I'm sure Bill Bowen would have said something about it as well, but he never did to me.

As with Nic, I call BS too.

• Kero-kero
    Kero-kero

It is ok coming here and slanging of the WTS and JW's...we have all had somekind of negative experience being a JW.....But sometimes it feels more like witch hunt on this site rather than an actual honest discussion about the WTS. Has soon has some one says to you...something that defends the WTS...you all go up in arms about it....There was an apology made by the BBC....but you cannot accept that. If you don't believe...you can alwyas write to the BBC nad ask for a copy of the apology...which you can do...because when the make an apology they always leave information and contact details so you can ask for a copy of the apology made.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit