The great pyramid

by OneLord 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Justin
    Justin

Those who have no previous exposure to pyramidology may find this link of interest:

http://www.greatdreams.com/pyramid.htm

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There is information about the pyramids at http://jwfacts.com/index_files/davinci.htm

The whole concept is based on Isaiah 19:19-20;

“19 In that day there will prove to be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar to Jehovah beside its boundary. 20 And it must prove to be for a sign and for a witness to Jehovah of armies in the land of Egypt; for they will cry out to Jehovah because of the oppressors, and he will send them a savior, even a grand one, who will actually deliver them.”

Russell’s belief in the sign of the pyramid most likely came from the Second Adventists. In 1859 John Taylor published The Great Pyramid: Why Was It Built? And Who Built It? He put forward the idea that the architect and supervisor of the Great Pyramid was not an Egyptian but Noah. (Other pyramidologists believe it was Melchizedek.) Piazzi Smyth, a Jewish astronomer accepted this idea. In June 1876 he published an article in the Bible Examiner , a journal owned by George Storrs in Brooklyn. In 1877 Joseph Seiss also published a book on the pyramid entitled Miracle in Stone .

George Storrs then ran a series of articles on the Pyramid and its prophetic significance in the Herald of Life and the Coming Kingdom . It is claimed that Russell attributed his knowledge on pyramids to Smyth.

• Forscher
    Forscher

What was lovlylil's experience with the BibleStudent forum?

Freetosee
    She joined a forum for Bible Students which is moderated by a fellow who occasionally posts here, RR. When she posted some comments some of the folks didn't like she got a rather nasty reception from some of the members. She wrote about her experience here:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/114735/2009046/post.ashx#2009046

I know Rusell's wife wrote a lot of the WT articles. I always heard she was a very intelligent lady. I am not sure of all the stories about Russell but I would be interested in reading Barbara's book.

About RR: I joined his site shortly after I left the JWs. A friend of mine who is a bible student recomeded it as they have some things in common with the Witnesses. Anyway, big mistake. I did not realize how much they had in common: false prophecies, relying on dates, faithful slave already appt. until I joined.

I tried to ask Q about the bible but kept getting quotes from the Studies in Scripture books. When RR and his group found out although I agree with a few things Rusell taught, that I did not support most of it they had the same reaction to me as the Witnesses had and called me: apostate, devil, misled, evil and told me I was not in the body of Christ and did not have holy spirit because I had to except everything that Jesus' faithful servant taught (Russell of course) in order to be in Christ's body. This was very traumatic experience as I had just left the Witnesses and had the same type of experience.

I found him (RR) very arrogant as a person. And his group of so-called Christians bombarded my email account with nasty letters of pure insult and rage at me. I had to go a another bible student elder to get it to stop. I know he spoke with RR but to no avail. Anyway, this is my personal experience with his group.

I am familiar with some other bible student groups who are much nicer than his. I like the "free bible student" groups as they do not just study Russell's books.

I just wanted all to know my experience with this person and that I believe most of the bible students are the same type of organization as the Jehovahs' Witnesses in that they feel they have all the truth and are the only true Christians. And they do not actually study the bible but books that interpret it.

And by the way RR kept repeating to me his loyalty to "Pastor" Russell, I say good for you but I am more loyal to Jesus and do not put any man above him.

What happened was that she was kind of blindsided by the "Russell's writings are the last word and you must believe them or you are lost" faction of that board. They are only a part of the folks who post there and can be a bit nasty at times, much like our athieists here. The moderator allows folks from all of the Bible Student factions on that forum. He also allows folks who are not Bible Students as well as long as they don't cross a certain line of obnoxiousness so things can get just as rowdy as they do here at times. Recently he had one bloke join who became a major problem. He had to delete the fellow who turned around and rejoined under a new ID and had to be dleted a second time. That fellow would probably not have been tolerated here either, in all fairness to RR. RR ended up havening to restrict new membership to folks vouched for by current members.
    lovleylil's experience isn't unique on that forum. I've seen a few there get the same flack and give back as good as they got. Like here and many other forums one has to be prepared to defend their opinions, sometimes against some folks who are pretty sharp.
    Forscher

• Forscher
    Forscher
    2. Forscher, maybe I am reading you wrong. Surely you were not advocating rolling back the doctrine to Russell of the 1890 - 1910 era?

You do appear to be reading me wrong james_woods. I was a bit concerned that folks might do that, but then I decided to accept the possibility. When it comes to something as important as our salvation, we should carefully examine the evidence and follow it where it leads, wouldn't you agree? I am still in the process of doing just that and I am in no hurry to complete the task.
    Personally, I don't agree with the pyramidology. To begin with it started out as a backlash to attempts to impose the metric system in England and the U.S. by some during the 19th century as far as I can determine with my meager resources. Then it jumped over into the religious realm ala Smythe and Russell. It is certainly going to take a bit more evidence than I see available for me to go down that road.
    I still hold to some of the basic beliefs which Russell expounded, but that is because I see no proof which convinces me otherwise at the present time. As to his interpretation of prophecies? Well, he was obviously wrong with his predictions concerning the fall of the present world and the calling of the remaining "bride" of Christ to the heavens in 1914. He even admitted that obvious failure of his before he died. So why in God's name would I want to revert back to that? I am not that stupid!
    However, I'll follow the evidence where it leads. If I decide Russell to be proven correct by the evidence on certain things, I'll accept that. Since he is proven wrong on some things by history, I accept that as well. Really, the question is not about Russell as far as I am concerned. It is about that age old question of "what is truth". I respect other's rights to come to their own conclusions. But I also assert my own right to do the same.
    Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit