News Alert

by TooBad TooSad 24 Replies latest jw friends

• luna2
    luna2

This is what gives JWs their power (until it become so repetitive that people finally wise up), there is ALWAYS something, some cry of peace, some war, some natural disaster, or social conundrum that gives their words weight and meaning...for a time.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I remember the announcement at the International Convention in 1985 where the announcement was made about the UN's declaration of an "International Year of Peace" in 1986. There was a collective gasp of shock, and then exhilirated demented applause.

I remember that too (we were probably at the same convention)! I also remember thinking how sick it was that people were happy that a mass holocaust was about to occur. If they love the preaching work so much, they should be sad it is coming to an end.

I remember telling my grandfather that this and the US presence in Grenada was proof that Armageddon was right around the corner. I was pretty good at parroting WTS nonsense on command. lololol

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS says that true peace and security doesn't have to be really achieved, just announced. How many times will we hear governments say that true peace and security has been achieved, all the time, many times. They have reinterpreted this many times.

w04 2/1 p. 21 "The Scene of This World Is Changing" ***

In recent years, politicians have often used the phrase "peace and security" to describe various human schemes. They even dubbed 1986 the International Year of Peace, although that year did not live up to its name. Do such efforts by world leaders constitute the complete fulfillment of 1 Thessalonians 5:3, or was Paul referring to a specific event of such dramatic proportions as to claim world attention?

Since Bible prophecies are often fully understood only after they are fulfilled or are in the process of fulfillment, we will have to wait and see. It is of interest, though, that Paul compared the sudden destruction following the cry of "Peace and security!" to the birth pang of a pregnant woman. Over a period of about nine months, an expectant mother becomes increasingly aware of the baby that is growing within her. She may be able to hear her baby’s heartbeat or feel its movements in the womb. It may even kick her. The signs often become more and more pronounced until, one day, she feels a sharp pain, a pang, indicating that the hoped-for event—the baby’s birth—has arrived. Hence, however the prophesied cry of "Peace and security!" may be fulfilled, it will lead to a sudden, painful, but ultimately blessed event—the destruction of wickedness and the beginning of a new world system.

Worship book chap. 20 p. 182 Keep Close in Mind Jehovah’s Day ***

"Whenever it is that they are saying: ‘Peace and security!’ then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them just as the pang of distress upon a pregnant woman; and they will by no means escape." (1 Thessalonians 5:2, 3) What form that proclamation of "peace and security" will take remains to be seen. But it will certainly not mean that world leaders have truly solved the problems of mankind.

Blondie (notice how the WTS CYAs)

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Deja-vu?

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

..."How close, soon, near, the end is..." But wait! Is he confoozled? Haven't they been explaining away their failed Armageddon predictions by saying the gate is still opem because so many are streaming to jion the Witnoid Droids??

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings TooBad TooSad,

Thanks for the update. More parroted, outdated, foolish conjecture. Time to change the record, cd or tape.

Dismembered

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

There is a "Peace and Security" event that will be forever etched on my brain. I think it was in 1979, on a Sunday night. Battlestar Galactica (the old, shitty one) was interupted because Jimmy Carter had brokered a treaty between Israel and Egypt called...... drum roll ....... the "Peace and Security Pact". Well, if that wasn't the clearest indication of the imminence of the end, I don't know what is.

• metatron
    metatron

The phrase "Peace and Security" has often been used by the UN or other international groups for decades. One of the more dramatic

headlines occurred after Gerald Ford was appointed President after Nixon resigned. The banner on New York newspapers read,

"Truth, Peace and Security"

metatron

• Mary
    Mary
    He even said that "who knows, with the war in Iraq, when it ends that perhaps the nations will cry peace and security and then sudden destruction will instantly be upon them." I can hardly wait.

Ya.......didn't they say the same thing after World War I and World War II?? From a Witness' point of view, if Armageddon was coming, it should have come either after WWI or after WWII. All the signs that the WTS preached would be there, were there: you had nation rising against nation and kingdom against kingdom. There were food shortages (food rationings) and pestilences (Spanish Influenza). The Witnesses were persecuted for their religious beliefs, which consisted of preaching this good news of the kingdom, and if anyone ever fit the bill of the Antichrist or Man of Lawlessness, it was Adolf Hitler. So when Victory and World Peace were announced on May 10, 1945, then sudden destruction should have come upon the nations of the earth.

But it didn't. Why not? Maybe because the events fortold in Matthew and Luke have absolutely no bearing on our day, but were related to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE. Nothing has changed, the world still goes on and on and will continue to.

• LDH
    LDH
    It seems it was the year 1986 that the U.N. declared "the International Year of Peace".

Yep. I was graduating High School that year, and for a spiritual JW youth the only thing to do was pioneer the end came. That year started my frantic belief that the end was just around the corner. Here was something I could finally sink my spiritual teeth into!!!

It took three years for me to wake up. Then, I got kicked off the ranks of Regular Pioneer because I made 986 hours instead of 1,000. I'm so glad I was honest instead of lying.

I was told I didn't take my obligation seriously, no consideration for the fact that I spent MANY MANY hours building the Assembly hall in Henrietta NY and not being able to count the time.

To think, it all started with a declaration in 1985 declaring the International Year of Peace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit