News Alert

by TooBad TooSad 24 Replies latest jw friends

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

The brother who gave the "public talk" yesterday told us how close, soon, near, etc. the end is. He even said

that "who knows, with the war in Iraq, when it ends that perhaps the nations will cry peace and security and then

sudden destruction will instantly be upon them." I can hardly wait.

He also said that perhaps some here believed that that the end would have taken place 20 or 30 years ago and

that we should not be discouraged because it is just around the corner.

We believed it 30 years ago because we were taught it by the WTS. Why does everyone forget this?

It is not our fault that we had expectations. We were taught and believed a lie.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I could of swore that the Watchtower put out an article about the U.N. crying Peace and Security around 1988. Does anyone remember that? How many times does the U.N. have to proclaim Peace and Security before the end comes?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

MsMcDucket,

They revised the cry of Peace and Security to be more of an unspecified period of time during which they would be crying peace and security. They even threw in a nebulous mention that it could either be that they are claiming to have peace or they could be clamoring for peace. So now they have another Heads-I-Win, Tails-You-Lose doctrine going.

"Nebulous" defines every prophecy they have elucidated in the past 5 years, from my perspective.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

It seems it was the year 1986 that the U.N. declared "the International Year of Peace".

But toward the end of 1985 the speculations got a new start. On October 24, 1985, the United Nations, on its 40th anniversary, declared 1986 as "the International Year of Peace".

• luna2
    luna2

I wonder how many JWs can hear this stuff over decades and not have it affect them? How spiritually deaf do you have to become to keep plodding along, listening to the WTS as it makes claim after claim, prediction after prediction, and nothing ever happens. Pretty hard to stay active and excited about something that keeps proving over and over that it isn't "truth".

I was around for that UN Year of Peace or whatever it was. The dubs were mighty excited. Like always, though, it fizzled. Now they are just speculating. Whoever is promoting this kind of talk out of Bethel has got to be pretty cynical (or delusional). I don't think they believe it either, just something to pump up the troops for a little while. Ah well, there's always the next war, and the next, and the next. Any day now, any day.

• Scully
    Scully

It seems it was the year 1986 that the U.N. declared "the International Year of Peace".

But toward the end of 1985 the speculations got a new start. On October 24, 1985, the United Nations, on its 40th anniversary, declared 1986 as "the International Year of Peace".

I remember the announcement at the International Convention in 1985 where the announcement was made about the UN's declaration of an "International Year of Peace" in 1986. There was a collective gasp of shock, and then exhilirated demented applause.

Well, that was 20 years ago..... so much for winding up the masses into a frenzy of activity. JWs really should learn from their own history. Oh that's right, they can't talk about stuff like that without being labelled an Apostate™.

• chasson
    chasson

I remember too.

And the brother in the final talk "Would it be possible, brother and sister, that this "International Year Peace" has some connection with the "Peace and Security" cry from I Thessaloniciens. It may be the case."

I hope that one day someone here could find a record of this talk.

Bye

Charles

• ferret
    ferret

I left the borg in 1980 qnd heard this peace and security thing long before that. Every time there was any calm in world situations we heard it was a sign of the end, even before 1975.

• Scully
    Scully
    I left the borg in 1980 qnd heard this peace and security thing long before that. Every time there was any calm in world situations we heard it was a sign of the end, even before 1975.

Definitely. I remember watching the Queen's New Years' Day speech with my folks, maybe about a year after my parents converted to the JWs. She mentioned a wish for "true peace and security"... and my parents both went slack jawed and pale.... they were terrified that Armageddon™ would start within the hour.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I probably have notes but no recording.

I'll do a little digging and see what I can locate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit