Panic attacks and Jehovahs Witness!

by Gill 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

The only panic attacks I suffered was when I saw my dad come around the corner while I was riding a skateboard...

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I suffered horribly from anxiety and panic attacks as a teen. Stress was intense as an elder's only child. At the book study, nobody wanted to answer, and it seemed like forever hearing silence and the clock ticking. Waves of heat swept over me, I got all flushed and felt like throwing up but i never did, just the miserable nausea. It started happening at the meetings, too, feeling like I had to run to the bathroom to be sick. Then, I developed an eating disorder. Due to so much nausea and stomach pain, I ate very little and got pretty thin. What a miserable time that was! I finally refused to do the school any more because I couldn't sleep for the weeks ahead of my talk date.

I had to be inspected before getting in the car for meetings, to make sure I was setting the example for the other kids. Soon, my stomach started churning and my pulse racing. Wonder why?? After I got my first place, and quit the meetings, I never suffered these spells any more.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Great post again garybuss

Dismembered

• desertlily
    desertlily

FYI Brothers and Sisters:

Jeremiah 6:13-15

13 “For from the least one of them even to the greatest one of them, every one is making for himself unjust gain; and from the prophet even to the priest, each one is acting falsely. 14 And they try to heal the breakdown of my people lightly, saying, ‘There is peace! There is peace!’ when there is no peace. 15 Did they feel shame because it was something detestable that they had done? For one thing, they positively do not feel any shame; for another thing, they have not come to know even how to feel humiliated. Therefore they will fall among those who are falling; in the time that I must hold an accounting with them they will stumble,” Jehovah has said.

Jeremiah 8:10,11

8 “‘How can YOU men say: “We are wise, and the law of Jehovah is with us”? Surely, now, the false stylus of the secretaries has worked in sheer falsehood. 9 The wise ones have become ashamed. They have become terrified and will be caught. Look! They have rejected the very word of Jehovah, and what wisdom do they have? 10 Therefore I shall give their wives to other men, their fields to those taking possession; for, from the least one even to the greatest one, each one is making unjust gain; from the prophet even to the priest, each one is acting falsely. 11 And they try to heal the breakdown of the daughter of my people lightly, saying: “There is peace! There is peace!” when there is no peace.

http://www.e-watchman.com/mailbag/2003/june-1-2003.html

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Gill

As an outsider, I can only comment from general life experience. But I would say that - especially with the issues you've been dealing with recently - some sort of reaction is only to be expected. As they say 'a normal reaction to abnormal circumstances'.

How are things now, BTW?

Gary B

Jeez, you talk some sense! More power to you.

• mariposa
    mariposa

Interesting reading everyone's comments...

I never had a problem untill I started attending meetings. I'd be sitting at a meeting in the hall and all of a sudden this wacked out anxiety would come over me. I felt like I couldn't breathe and my vision would get all fuzzy. I had no idae what the hell was going on! My study conductor was like " oh it's just a panic attack, nothing to worry about" then she kept trying to get me to go to this doc who saw lots of Witnesses and prescribed lots of antidepressants to them. After a few years, I went and got some. I couldn't stand to be medicated and stopped taking them after a few months. Funny thing is, that's when things started to get bad with me and witnesses and I started to fade...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Interesting thread. Gary's comments make it all fall into place: anxiety is the desired end effect.

S

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Years ago my wife used to get panic attacks really bad. Unfortunatley for her @ the time she married me, a dyed in the wool dub back then, who didn't even believe a panic attack even exisited. (How could they, we were in a "Spiritual Paradise") Whenever she'd get one I'd say with love, "Oh get over it", or "You going to start that again?" She should have kicked me in the groin. Fortunately for me, she stuck with me.

Interestingly enough, since we don't waste our time being involved with dubdom, she doesn't get them anymore, I do.

Dismembered

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

My anxiety has faded to nil since I was disfellowshipped!

I LOVE BEING FREE!!

• vitty
    vitty

I am not a nervous person, and used to think people who suffered them were attention seaking, until that is, every time I went to a meeting I had a huge knot in my stomache, and I wanted to scream............................my breathing would become shallow and I felt tearful.

I dont know if it was a panic attack, but I know i never get that feeling EVER, now that ive stopped going to meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit