foods that contain blood

by loosie 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Ok, about the blood in chocolate thing. As a die hard chocoholic I feel compelled to clear up this misconception.

When I was a child, we received a box of chocolates from non-witness relatives at Christmas. Yippee, I said. My dad read the ingredients. They included lecithin. We were not allowed to eat anything that contained lecithin as this was believed by witnesses to be another term for blood, similiar to "by- products" in sausage meets. This was in fact a partial truth. Maybe there is some type of lecithin that is derived from blood, I don't know. However, lecithin used in commercial baking products and candies and ice cream and chocolate milk is derived from soy. In the past, companies did not clarify this on their ingredients label. Now, most of them do, in Canada, anyway. Because, it wasn't specified that the lecithin was derived from soy, witnesses wouldn't eat many cookies, cakes, and candies because they might contain BLOOD! oooooh. We were not allowed to eat fortune cookies once for the same reason when I was a kid.

Now, if you are wondering how witnesses can take a little bit of fact, embellish it and then twist it into an urban legend that makes no sense, just think about 607, 1914, and blood transfusions! Makes sense now doesn't it?

I am still pissed off about those chocolates my dad threw away. It's the food of the God's ya know!

Cog

• nelly136
    nelly136

rob it not a real list just the stuff we were told to avoid as dubbies cos it 'supposedly' contained blood. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/114695/1.ashx spin off from this thread.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I tried to find foods that contain blood too. Didn't find a list but I did find some blood recipes.

http://www.angelfire.com/home/darkrealms/recipes.html

example:

NANA'S TRADITIONAL BLACK PUDDING:
    (Mischa)
    1 lb Pig's liver
    1 1/2 lb Suet, chopped
    120fl oz Pig's blood
    2 lb Breadcrumbs( homemade is best)
    4 oz Oatmeal
    1 Medium onion, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1/2 teaspoon Allspice
    Beef casings(what they use to make sausages)
    BLOOD PANCAKES:
    (MadameLalaurie)
    10 ounces calf´s or sheep´s blood
    5 ounces gill beer
    1 egg
    1 small onion
    4 tablespoons rye flour
    4 tablespoons barley flour
    1 pinch mixed herbs Butter or margarine for frying
    1 teaspoons salt

and this link....http://web.archive.org/web/20030821103324/http://www.sanguinarius.org/~sarasvati/recipies.htm

ewww....

lisa

• darcy
    darcy

this is dumb! Ice cream, milk, and chocolate containing blood parts so you can't have them???

Geez, folks, that's like saying I can't eat cake. But wait! Because cake contains flour, sugar, eggs, and milk I can't eat Anything with those things in it either!

*beats a bible against her head in disbelief*

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Cog is correct about the chocolate/lecithin connection. I was a dub in NYC during the 60s when this brilliant idea propagated thru the congregations.

Milk naturally contains white blood cells and other blood factors but not red blood cells.

Probably it is safe to say that any meat, poultry or dairy product contains blood.

I have intentionally consumed blood products to undo the Jeho Mojo.

Whoopee! I'm damned!

• nelly136
    nelly136

lol thats what i said to my mum about the blood thing. can have this bit and that bit just not altogether.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I was a kid in dubland, there were a lot of scares about common foods that supposedly contained blood . I won't start any new rumours here.

I have not heard any such talk for years. Apart from avoiding the obvious, like game birds or hare that would not have been bled, or English (delicacies? Yuk!) like black pudding a.k.a. blood sausage - the dubs seem to eat what they want and comfort themselves with Pauls counsel to be "Making no inquiry on account of your conscience" 1 Cor 10.27

The WT did say, from memory, something like, provided that the veins of the animal had been drained of blood then it was ok to eat the meat,despite the residual blood or "meat juice" that remained in the flesh, since that would still have been the case in OT times. They said that provided an act of outpouring of blood had taken place, then it was acceptable and in their view Gods law had been fulfilled.

That was their reasoning, not mine.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    Apart from avoiding the obvious, like game birds

Thanks for reminder BluesBrother - yes, I remember not being permitted 'game'.

Amazing how Dubism can ban foods that they THINK contain blood, while turning a blind eye to foods that do. To properly enforce this 'belief', all Dubs should be vegans.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    oh, that's just the meat juices

applications of valuable learning, grounded in the university of Awake

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    all Dubs should be vegans.

To true, why not? By doing this they will have started preparing themselves for the new system.

I wonder if the the JW,s have a regulation on how long to cook meat. I personally don't like rare meat, but some people really like those "meat juices".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit