Higher Education: Is The Issue Really That Important?

by Warlock 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Warlock
    Warlock

The Catholics think they have the true religion, but they don't discourage higher education.

The Protestants think they have the true religion, but they don't discourage higher education.

The J.W.'s think they have the true religion, but yet they do discourage higher education.

Why? Do they really think there would be a mass exodus from the Org. if some got higher education?

I have never heard of a mass exodus out of either the Catholic church or Protestant church due to higher education. I'm sure their collection plates are fuller because of higher education.

So then, why this villification of higher education in the Org.? Is the issue really that important?

What do you think?

Warlock

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

The JW's have something to hide!

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

INDEPENDENT THINKING! Just the thought of it gives the bigwigs the shivers.

FBF

• under_believer
    under_believer

Ostensibly, higher education is forbidden because it betrays a lack of belief that we are in the time of the end. Ostensibly, it's not a strategic ban but a principled one.
    In reality, who knows. My personal feeling is that their teachings and doctrines can't hold up to higher education the same way that other mainstream church teachings can. I don't think they realize this overtly--I think they just have seen that few Witnesses who go off to college ever come back, and have assumed (probably rightly) a cause/effect relationship.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Virgo

Yes, but isn't that true of all religions?

Warlock

• Bull Yaa
    Bull Yaa

Once when I was out in service with a circuit overseer, he told us that kids needed to get all the education they could, because education is good. His last name was King... I wish I could remember his first name. His thoughts on education

certainly did not agree with the local congergation, or the wtbs.

Is anyone going to the assembly this weekend?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Warlock,

The WT is afraid that their members will learn that they lied about historical dates to try and prove they have the only truth: 607 is one example

of this. The Catholics and Protestants may say they are the true religion like the WT, but they also teach from main-stream

Christian views unlike the WT organization which is a 100% cult of Christianity. And therfore it is imperative for their survival to keep their

members in the dark about what really goes on in the world. Getting a higher education will broaden your mind and you will meet people from all religious backgrounds and come to see for yourself that they are not all demons with horns.

One last thing: the WT does not want any of the members to develop good reasoning skills as they will see right through the WT's teachings

and be able to read between the lines of the WT magazines and see how the Tower is using words to manipulate them. I used to point such

manipulation with words to my hubby for years before he finally noticed it too. This was always a source of contention between us as he did

not "see" how words can manipulate. I think our education levels had a lot to do with it. (he HS only - me 2 degrees)

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Haven't you heard?

The best career move any young jw can make is to become a pioneer or go to bethel. No one needs any kind of education to do that. All they need to do is to be able to use a vacuum cleaner or wash windows. All the education they need is in the awake.

At least, that's what the po at my kh used to say and sadly, some youngsters listened to him.

• Scully
    Scully

One thing that have been thinking about recently regarding the WTS's position on "higher education" is that it helps them weed out the people with a Rebellious Spirit™, and reward people who obediently follow the WTS's directives by doling out Privileges™ to them, while withholding Privileges™ from others who disregard the Suggestions™ from the Organization™. It is about CONTROL, more than anything, and finding out who is willing to subjugate themselves to the Organization™'s directives and who is not.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Scully, that is an excellent point. I hadn't looked at it that way but whether or not that is the stated reasoning behind it, it DEFINITELY serves that purpose. It's one component of a comprehensive litmus test.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit