Higher Education: Is The Issue Really That Important?

by Warlock 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• parakeet
    parakeet

Warlock: ***"But I'm sure some Catholics and Protestants have applied those same skills learned thru higher education to their religions and you can't tell me they all left and went somewhere else."***

Not all of them have gone but a good many have. Mainstream religions also don't stand up to close scrutiny, but unlike the JWs, they tolerate (usually) their members' scrutiny and questioning--they don't toss them out on their behinds at the first hint of doubt, like the JWs. Catholicism and (most) Protestant religions are usually willing to enter into a debate with scientists even though they may disagree with scientific findings. That's why someone who believes in evolution can still be a Catholic or Protestant in good standing--their churches have enough tolerance to welcome even those who disagree with some of their doctrine.
    The WTS will brook NO questioning, doubt, scrutiny of any kind.

• Scully
    Scully
    in my area I can name at least 5 young elders under 30 years old who have an education and only 1 young elder under 30 without an education. very limited sample, I realize, but it doesn't seem to hold the brothers back. I'm not so sure about the sisters, though.

As I recall, the "softening" of the WTS's position on higher education happened in late 1992:

*** w92 11/1 pp. 15-21 Education With a Purpose ***

Education With a Purpose

"Impart knowledge to someone righteous and he will increase in learning."—PROVERBS 9:9. JEHOVAH is "a God of knowledge." (1 Samuel 2:3) He educates his servants. Moses foretold that contemporary peoples would say of Israel: "This great nation is undoubtedly a wise and understanding people." (Deuteronomy 4:6) True Christians should likewise be knowledgeable. They need to be excellent students of God’s Word. Showing the purpose of such study, the apostle Paul wrote: "We . . . have not ceased praying for you and asking that you may be filled with the accurate knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual comprehension, in order to walk worthily of Jehovah to the end of fully pleasing him as you go on bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the accurate knowledge of God."—Colossians 1:9, 10.

2 Study with a view to acquiring an accurate knowledge of God and his purposes requires at least a minimum amount of education. But many people who have come to learn the truth of God’s Word live in countries where they had little or no opportunity to receive proper secular education. They were at a disadvantage. To overcome this problem, the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses has for many years now instructed that, where needed, literacy classes should be organized within the congregations. Over 30 years ago, the Brazilian newspaper Diário de Mogi published an article entitled "Jehovah’s Witnesses Wage War Against Illiteracy." It stated: "A qualified instructor sets about . . . to patiently teach others to read and write. . . . The pupils, because of the very circumstances impelling them as ministers of God, must develop their knowledge of the language in order to give discourses." Thousands of people all over the world have thus been enabled to become good students of God’s Word. They undertook this basic education with an elevated purpose in mind.

Skills Needed to Be Effective Ministers

3 True Christians are interested in education, not for its own sake, but in order to become more effective servants of Jehovah. Christ gave all Christians the mission to "make disciples of people of all the nations, . . . teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded." (Matthew 28:19, 20) To teach others, they themselves must first learn, and this requires good study methods. They must have the ability to examine the Scriptures carefully. (Acts 17:11) To fulfill their commission, they also need to be able to read fluently.—See Habakkuk 2:2; 1 Timothy 4:13.

4 As we saw in the previous article, there is good reason to believe that, by and large, even young ones in ancient Israel knew how to read and write. (Judges 8:14; Isaiah 10:19) Christian ministers today need to make neat notes as they witness from house to house. They write letters, take notes at meetings, and annotate their study material. All of this requires legible handwriting. Keeping records within the Christian congregation calls for at least a basic knowledge of arithmetic.

Advantages of Proper Schooling

5 Interestingly, the word "school" comes from the Greek word skho·le´, which originally meant "leisure" or the use of leisure time for some serious activity, such as learning. It later came to designate the place where such learning was done. This indicates that, at one time, only the privileged class—in Greece and most other lands—had the leisure to learn. The working class generally remained ignorant. Today, in most countries children and young folk are given time to learn. Young Witnesses should certainly buy out the opportune time to become knowledgeable and capable servants of Jehovah.—Ephesians 5:15, 16.

6 A basic knowledge of history, geography, science, and so forth will enable young Witnesses to become rounded-out ministers. Their schooling will teach them not only many subjects but also the learning process. True Christians do not stop learning and studying when they leave school. What they get out of their studying, however, will greatly depend on their knowing how to study. Both secular and congregation schooling can help them to develop their thinking abilities. (Proverbs 5:1, 2) When they read they will be better able to discern what is important, what deserves noting and memorizing.

7 Learning a foreign language, for example, will not only develop the mental capacity of young people but also make them more useful to Jehovah’s organization. In some of the Watch Tower Society’s branches, a number of young brothers have found it advantageous to be able to speak or read English fluently. Moreover, all Christian ministers should endeavor to be articulate in their mother tongue. The good news of the Kingdom deserves to be expressed in a clear, grammatically correct manner. The facts show that in the world today, many youngsters when completing school still have difficulty in writing and speaking correctly and in doing even the simplest arithmetic; and they have only the vaguest knowledge of history and geography.

Adequate Education

8 This seems, therefore, to be an appropriate time to consider the Christian’s attitude toward secular education. What Bible principles bear on this subject? First, in most countries proper submission to "Caesar" requires Christian parents to send their children to school. (Mark 12:17; Titus 3:1) As for young Witnesses, in their schoolwork they should remember Colossians 3:23, which states: "Whatever you are doing, work at it whole-souled as to Jehovah, and not to men." A second principle involved is that Christians should be able to support themselves, even if they are full-time pioneer ministers. (2 Thessalonians 3:10-12) If married, a man should be able to provide properly for his wife and any children that may be born, with a little extra to give to those in need and to support the local and worldwide preaching work.—Ephesians 4:28; 1 Timothy 5:8.

9 How much education does a young Christian need in order to respect these Bible principles and meet his Christian obligations? This varies from country to country. By and large, however, it seems that the general trend in many lands is that the level of schooling required to earn decent wages is now higher than it was a few years ago. Reports received from branches of the Watch Tower Society in different parts of the world indicate that in many places it is difficult to find jobs with decent wages after completing simply the minimum schooling required by law or in some countries even after finishing secondary or high school.

10 What is meant by "decent wages"? It does not indicate highly paid jobs. Webster’s Dictionary defines "decent" in this context as "adequate, satisfactory." What might be termed "adequate," for instance, for those who wish to be pioneer ministers of the good news? Such ones generally need part-time work to avoid putting "an expensive burden" upon their brothers or their family. (1 Thessalonians 2:9) Their wages might be termed "adequate," or "satisfactory," if what they earn allows them to live decently while leaving them sufficient time and strength to accomplish their Christian ministry.

11 What is often the situation today? It has been reported that in some countries many well-intentioned youngsters have left school after completing the minimum required schooling in order to become pioneers. They had no trade or secular qualifications. If they were not helped by their parents, they had to find part-time work. Some have had to accept jobs that required them to work very long hours to make ends meet. Becoming physically exhausted, they gave up the pioneer ministry. What can such ones do to support themselves and get back into the pioneer service?

A Balanced View of Education

12 A balanced view of education can help. For many young people of the world, education is a status symbol, something to help them climb the social ladder, the key to a prosperous, materialistic life-style. For others, schooling is a chore to be dispensed with as quickly as possible. Neither of these views is appropriate for true Christians. What, then, might be termed "a balanced view"? Christians should regard education as a means to an end. In these last days, their purpose is to serve Jehovah as much and as effectively as possible. If, in the country where they live, minimal or even high school education will only allow them to find jobs providing insufficient income to support themselves as pioneers, then supplementary education or training might be considered. This would be with the specific goal of full-time service.

13 Some have taken training courses that have opened up job opportunities enabling them to engage in or resume full-time service. One sister in the Philippines was the family breadwinner, but she wanted to pioneer. The branch reports: "She has been able to do this because she has received additional education to qualify as a certified public accountant." The same branch report stated: "We have quite a number who are studying and at the same time have been able to arrange their schedules to pioneer. Generally they become better publishers as they are more studious, provided they do not become overly ambitious in worldly pursuits." The last remark should give us reason to reflect. The purpose of the extra schooling, where this seems necessary, must not be lost sight of or change into a materialistic goal.

14 In a few countries, secondary schools provide vocational training that can prepare a young Christian for some trade or occupation by the time of graduation. Even when this is not the case, in some lands enterprising youngsters with only basic schooling do find part-time work that enables them to earn enough to pioneer. So no hard-and-fast rules should be made either for or against extra education.

15 Many who are now serving in responsible positions as traveling overseers, at the Society’s headquarters, or in one of the branches had only basic education. They were faithful pioneers, never stopped learning, received training, and have been entrusted with greater responsibilities. They have no regrets. On the other hand, some of their contemporaries chose to get a university education and fell by the wayside, subjugated by the faith-destroying philosophies and "wisdom of this world."—1 Corinthians 1:19-21; 3:19, 20; Colossians 2:8.

Counting the Cost

16 Who decides whether a young Christian should undertake further education or training? The Bible principle of headship comes into play here. (1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 6:1) On this basis parents will surely want to guide their children in the choice of a trade or occupation and consequently in the amount of education that will be needed. In many countries educational and occupational choices have to be made early on during secondary education. That is the time when Christian parents and youths need to seek Jehovah’s direction in making a wise choice, with Kingdom interests uppermost in mind. Young people have different propensities and aptitudes. Wise parents will take these into account. All honest work is honorable, be it blue-collar or white-collar. While the world may elevate office work and disparage working hard with one’s hands, the Bible certainly does not. (Acts 18:3) So when parents and young Christians today, after carefully and prayerfully weighing the pros and cons, decide for or against postsecondary studies, others in the congregation should not criticize them.

17 If Christian parents responsibly decide to provide their children with further education after high school, that is their prerogative. The period of these studies would vary according to the type of trade or occupation selected. For financial reasons and in order to enable their children to get into the full-time service as quickly as possible, many Christian parents have chosen for them short-term study programs in vocational or technical schools. In some cases youths have needed to be apprenticed to some trade but always with a full life of service to Jehovah as the goal.

18 If additional courses are taken, certainly the motive should not be to shine scholastically or to carve out a prestigious worldly career. Courses should be chosen with care. This magazine has placed emphasis on the dangers of higher learning, and justifiably so, for much higher education opposes the "healthful teaching" of the Bible. (Titus 2:1; 1 Timothy 6:20, 21) Further, since the 1960’s, many schools of advanced learning have become hotbeds of lawlessness and immorality. "The faithful and discreet slave" has strongly discouraged entering that kind of environment. (Matthew 24:12, 45) It must be admitted, however, that nowadays youngsters meet up with these same dangers in high schools and technical colleges and even in the workplace.—1 John 5:19.

19 Should supplementary education be decided upon, a young Witness would do well, if at all possible, to take this while living at home, thus being able to maintain normal Christian study habits, meeting attendance, and preaching activity. At the outset a proper stand should also be taken on Bible principles. It should be remembered that Daniel and his three Hebrew companions were captives in exile when they were obliged to undertake advanced studies in Babylon, but they consistently kept their integrity. (Daniel, chapter 1) While placing spiritual interests first, young Witnesses in a number of countries have taken courses to equip themselves for part-time work as accountants, tradesmen, teachers, translators, interpreters, or other occupations that supported them adequately in their primary career of pioneering. (Matthew 6:33) A number of these youths have later become traveling overseers or Bethel volunteers.

A United, Educated People

20 Among Jehovah’s people, whether a person’s occupation is white-collar, blue-collar, farming, or services, all need to be good students of the Bible and able teachers. Skills acquired by all in reading, studying, and teaching tend to dispel the distinction that the world makes between manual and office workers. This makes for the unity and mutual respect that is particularly visible among the volunteer workers in Bethel homes and on Watch Tower Society construction sites, where spiritual qualities are all-important and required of all. Here, experienced office personnel work joyfully with skilled manual workers, all displaying appreciative love for one another.—John 13:34, 35; Philippians 2:1-4.

21 Parents, guide your children toward the goal of becoming useful members of the new world society! Young Christians, use your opportunities for education as a means of equipping you to lay hold more fully on your privileges in serving Jehovah! As taught ones, may all of you prove to be well-equipped members of the theocratic society both now and everlastingly in God’s promised "new earth."—2 Peter 3:13; Isaiah 50:4; 54:13; 1 Corinthians 2:13.

While this propaganda appears to be targeting only people who would use their "higher education" in order to work part-time and pioneer, it also provided a tidy loophole for those who wanted to go to college or university, as long as they claimed that their ultimate goal was the full time service.

The age group you mentioned (under 30) fits this target group quite nicely. They would have been born in the late 70s, and would have been at an age where they were just about to finish high school. This article gave them an option besides pioneering straight out of high school, and because it was New Light™ a lot of people made a big deal about it and decided to take advantage of this new-found opportunity. This article, I might add, bolstered my position and desire to return to school in my 30s, and that's just what I did. Despite the caution about being judgemental toward those who decided to further their education, I caught flak for it because, for one thing, I made no secret about the fact that I did not intend to pioneer when I completed my education (mind you, I'm not done yet ), and for another, I was obviously entering a career stream in health care that was felt to be unproductive and entirely unnecessary in the New World Society™.

As long as a JW took advantage of this window of opportunity to get an education while the WTS was not actively discouraging it, I don't think it would have had an impact on whether or not they qualified for Privileges™ in the congregation. I also know of some JWs who were from Divided Households™ (where the mother was JW and the father was not) and who were required by their unbelieving father to go to college, and the Elders™ knew better than to criticize these folks. In the end, they had well educated, well rounded people who were still willing to reach out for Privileges™ and become Elders™ and Ministerial Servants™. They were people who had a good income and were generous with it.

When it comes to money, the WTS is not stupid. The flaw in the master plan was that they didn't count on young folks learning the skill of critical thinking and actually applying it to the WTS teachings.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Get that education, young ones. Older ones, too.

Warlock

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Another reason why the bOrg doesn't like higher education: you might have a promising career that leaves you with no time or desire to peddle magazines and books to complete strangers.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

In my opinon higher education creates in a person a desire or thirst for real knowledge. Once you expose yourselves to the various subjects offered in schools, a whole new path of study is opened to you. Whether this be in the form of sociology, psychology, political science ( my favorite) or any of the other areas of study you are broadening your horizons. also too colleges teach you to think and reason on your on and thats what the GB is for.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I think that they definitely fear the analytical thinking that is encouraged at MOST colleges (I've seen lots of BA's, BS's and Masters who couldn't think their way out of a paper bag...) I also think one huge thing is time.

It's possible to go to school, get a good job, work hard, have a family go to church a few times a year and be a 'good catholic' maybe not 'devout' but good! You can't do that as a dub! You have to make that your full time gig! No allowances for having a life there I'm afraid!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit