Did You Believe "The End" Was Going To Come In Your Lifetime?

by minimus 54 Replies latest jw friends

• mustang
    mustang
    I was told when i was 8/9 years old that armageddon would have been here by the time i was 16, i'm 19 now.

Ditto, except I'm over 50 now

• JH
    JH

Of course I believed it !!!

I would have never joined the JW's if I didn't think the end was close.

I joined because the end was close, like 5 years away. If they would have told me that it was more than 10 years away, I would have left for 10 years and came back, when God meant business.

• james_woods
    james_woods

And yet there are still over 8,000 of the annointed around, even though three generations have lived and mostly died since the gate was shut on that little flock.

But this thread and the comments on my other thread are probably proving me wrong - looks like a lot of people (way more than I thought) truly believed in this nonsense while they were in...

James

• mustang
    mustang

"I never did."

It's hard to say when you are "in the collective". First, I was "born in the troof".

Second, there is always someone pounding the pulpit saying "the end is near"; "soon now"; "any day now".

Then they turn on you and fix you with a strong stare and say "isn't it, Bro. Say-yes-or-else"? And you just nod so that you can get out of the room in one piece.

Next you get 'peer pressured' into baptizm, not knowing any better. And of course you have to parrot the party line before, during and after.

But when you finally get some time to be by yourself and collect your wits and thoughts, it all starts to unravel.

And guess what? I probably got started on sorting it all out when I was out pIONEERING ALL BY MYSELF for several years!!!

Gee, when the chips are down and the JW stuff is supposed to 'shine the best' is when its just you and God: he may tell you something that WTS doesn’t and wouldn’t tell you.

Not that God appeared in a burning bush, but the message I got, from lots of little things, was that 1975 AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. (That is the Big-A @ least.) So my last meeting was the last meeting of the year 1974!!!

Mustang

• sinamongurl
    sinamongurl

of course i did....i was a very faithful, spiritual witness.....10 years ago i thought it would come in 10 yrs....still not here yet.....but in my mind i still believe it is coming soon.....get scared when i think about it

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I did, for most of the time I was a jw. I became a little less sure after the generation change, but still expected armageddon during my lifetime.

• Warlock
    Warlock

If you didn't think the end was going to come in your lifetime, then what would have been the point of becoming a J.W.?

Warlock

• xjwms
    xjwms

Well...

as a child growing up.....thats what I believed......and those we associated with always talked about it too.

not anymore....feels good to be free from the teachings and ......GUILT, ... FAULT, ... AND BLAME. !!!

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Yes - that's why so many of us here labored, so hard and so long, for the organization.
    The doubt I always had a JW was that God would destroy a world of mankind. I guess in my heart of hearts, I really believed in some sort of Universal Salvation, that the majority of the people would be won over by the love of God and Christ.
    Eyeslice

• under_believer
    under_believer

Warlock, those of us that were "raised in" (and we make up the majority, at least in Western countries these days) didn't have a choice in the matter. We didn't think in terms of "what is the point of becoming a JW"--we already were JW's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit