First "summer" electric bill of the year.... HOLY CRAP!!!

by Elsewhere 57 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I have electric heating.

I live in a relatively big apartment 4 1/2 as we call it here. Large living room, large kitchen, 2 bed rooms and toilet.

The apartment is about 35 feet x 25 feet.

OH, the landlord pays for the hot water so that helps lower the bill.

I use about 6300 kilowatt hours a year.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

We`re feeling it too already! Ours was $190.00, for MAY! Good God who knows what August`s will be!!!! and then there`s always the power outages due to our lovely hurricane season!

• juni
    juni

JH - That's .09 cents per kilowatt. I can't find our last bill breakdown, but it was .0895 per kwh back in Mar./April

We have a lot of other charges added onto the cost of kilowatt usage and therms (gas) usage.

Juni

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Ouch is right! The most it gets to here in the summer (for me anyway) is $130. It's so cold at night that I wish the heat was back on.

Yes, I do still want to move to texas!! Lol!

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Holy Crap is right! $80 a month is your regular bill in your apartment?!?

I live in an apartment too and it's about $9/month off season and $24/month in the summer. I'll never complain again.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Holy Crap is right! $80 a month is your regular bill in your apartment?!?

I live in an apartment too and it's about $9/month off season and $24/month in the summer. I'll never complain again.

A few years ago Texas deregulated the electrical sector in hopes that competition would lower the prices. Instead of competing against each other all of the electric companies winked and nodded at each other as they cranked up the prices to rates higher than anywhere else in the US.

I'm amazed legal action has not been taken against them... I guess the right people are getting some money under the table.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Weather forecast for Dallas:

• Today: 101 Degrees Fahrenheit
    • Sat: 101 Degrees Fahrenheit - No Clouds - No Rain
    • Sun: 98 Degrees Fahrenheit - No Clouds - No Rain
    • Mon: 101 Degrees Fahrenheit - No Clouds - No Rain
    • Tue: 103 Degrees Fahrenheit - No Clouds - No Rain
    • Wed: 103 Degrees Fahrenheit - No Clouds - No Rain
    • Thr: 103 Degrees Fahrenheit - No Clouds - No Rain
    • Fri: 103 Degrees Fahrenheit - No Clouds - No Rain
    • Sat: 101 Degrees Fahrenheit - No Clouds - No Rain
    • Sun: 99 Degrees Fahrenheit - No Clouds - No Rain

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

$180 for an apartment is ridiculous. I just got mine yesterday and I was afraid to open it, but it was only $80 for my house. Do you leave your air conditioning on during the day? I turn mine off completely - it doesn't take that long to cool things down when I get home from work.

• moanzy
    moanzy

Ok---- I want to live where JH lives!!! I know that seems high what you are paying, but last month we payed $450.00 for our power and gas. It is very outrageous, but during the winter months that is what it costs here. In the summer we might pay about $160.00 for power and gas.

Moanzy

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

TXU raised their rates 24% in January. The others followed suit, although not that high of an increase. Our bill was $300. It would not surprise me if we went over $400 in July or August.

Consumers in Texas get screwed big time when it comes to electricity and insurance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit