The New "Invite" - How Stupid Can They Be?

by metatron 43 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82
    Based on your description, the tract seems to have been designed with very low expectations of achieving results.

Bingo!

They don't give a flying fig if anyone who is "invited" comes or not. In fact, just imagine if significant numbers of the public did come: Typically, in the US, district convention sites hold about 10-15,000 people, and the JW population assigned to a convention is...10-15,000! If there were 25,000 non-JW "public" suddenly clamoring to get in, where would they all sit? Plus, the talks are so loaded with Theocratese that Joe Public would have no idea what was being discussed.

This is strictly a "team-building" exercise. Unify the troops to do something different in field service, try to force a sense of "unity" in them.

It seems that maybe this will be more common, as there is another "special campaign" in September to hawk a "special edition" of the Awake magazine.

• minimus
    minimus

Met, good post! Truthfully, the Witnesses' convention is tailor made for just Witnesses. No one in their right mind who is "worldly" would ever consider "submitting" to being a "slave" to anyone!

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Well, they might mail it depending where you live, but I suspect it would be delivered by members of the local congregation, who would then offer you help in understanding it. The book may be free, but nothing from the wts comes without obligation.

Thank you fullofdoubtnow...I think I'll order one...hehehe.

lisa

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    eek! I'm gonna have so much fun papering my town with this stuff.

Darcy,

Could you clarify? Which stuff?

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Ha thats so funny. My mom just spam emailed me and like 500 of her friends and family about how she can't wait to get out and place the "assembly invitation" as well about some new book that she said "is hard to keep in stock and that the Society thinks many will come to the truth Through that book". At first I was wondering what that was all about but now it is all coming clear. The longer I'm away from it all the weirder it all seems to me.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

I can remember wondering, when I was still "in," who they thought would find their weird invitations and "public" talks appealling?...

Oh, that's right--"honest-hearted ones!"

So is this really just an attempt to bolster the JW notion that the masses of nice folks out there who don't find this at all appealing are just not honest-hearted enough and are truly worthy of destruction?

Isolationism made to look like an open invitation. That's how it seems to me.

~Merry

• sf
    sf

I kid you not, when I see pictures of those huge assemblies, I get the sickest feeling in my stomach. Then my hearet hurts.

It's simply a very disturbing picture.

sKally

• darcy
    darcy

to bizzybee: with the invites of course. And y'all are right, it's a team building effort to build enthusiasm for the DC. The most fun will be the little games we do, like who can place the most, who wants to take to the motorcyclists, ooh ooh cute guy is mine!, and that kinda stuff... lol.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    The most fun will be the little games we do, like who can place the most, who wants to take to the motorcyclists, ooh ooh cute guy is mine!, and that kinda stuff... lol.

darcy: Thank you for confirming my take on your sincerity, previously expressed elsewhere.

One proviso: If you are under 25 - knock yourself out. If you are over 30: you need 1) to grow up, and 2) a good kick up the arse.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Plus, the talks are so loaded with Theocratese that Joe Public would have no idea what was being discussed.

This is strictly a "team-building" exercise. Unify the troops to do something different in field service, try to force a sense of "unity" in them.

I agree 100%. A few years ago I attended the local District Convention for the purpose of recording the talks and then posting about them. When I got to the convention site I went strait to the back-office area where the convention overseers hang out to ask them where I could setup my recorder so I could get a good recording. You should have seen the look on their faces! I might as well have asked them if I could take all of their virgin daughters home with me.

First they interrogated me about WHY I would want to do such a thing. They just could not understand why a non-JW would want to record the convention talks. Then they started to explain that the convention is not well suited for people who have not already had a "free home bible study" with Jehover's Witnesses. They went on to tell me that the topics covered were "spiritually advanced" and might not make sense to me.

I wouldn't give up and, very politely, kept insisting it was just for some research I was doing on the religion and I would appreciate some help. I think it took 20 minutes of this before they showed me a speaker on a corridor floor that I could place my recorder next to.

I had security goons following me everywhere I went from that point on.

Yup! A very inviting environment for the general public all right!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit