Do You "Believe" In The Bible At All?

by minimus 74 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Does anyone believe it's "inspired of God"?

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

C'mon... It's too early for pop-corn already...

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Generally I try to believe in it... but at the DC last weekend I wandered a bit while in the book of genesis and came across the account where Lots daughters plot to get him drunk and "preserve offspring" from their father.

Nevermind the fact that it may or may not have really happened... why the heck was it written down?? Certain things I still can't wrap my brain around.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I have 'mixed' views on that one.

I do believe in God. I think He might have used some holy writings to convey lessons and directions to a degree.

I do not believe that every word is 'inspired' and accurate. But many things have been proven to be historically accurate in the Bible, while some seem to be mythology at it's best.

The biggest change in my metamorphosis has been in eliminating the witnoid idea of 'accurate knowledge' leading to life. That concept being untied has made the 'inspiration' or not of the Bible less pertinent to me.

Jeff

• jstalin
  • JH
    JH

I believe in God, and I think that the bible is his word.

Every translation may deform it a bit.

The problem isn't the bible, since every Christian religion uses it, and comes out with a different way of seeing things.

There must be a key to understand the bible. And not everything was meant to be understood for now I guess.

If we knew everything, we would stop searching.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Absolutely not.

• fullofdoubtnow
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

Totally - I'd stake my life on it.

It's the inerrant word of God

Didier once put me onto Karl Barth, who had an interesting view on how the bible can be inspired / inspiring without making an idol out of the book, itself.

• sinis
    sinis

I have 'mixed' views on that one.

I do believe in God. I think He might have used some holy writings to convey lessons and directions to a degree.

I do not believe that every word is 'inspired' and accurate. But many things have been proven to be historically accurate in the Bible, while some seem to be mythology at it's best.

The biggest change in my metamorphosis has been in eliminating the witnoid idea of 'accurate knowledge' leading to life. That concept being untied has made the 'inspiration' or not of the Bible less pertinent to me.

Jeff

That is exactly where I have found myself as of late.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit