Do you run after garage sales?

by JH 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I found it is better to go to the rich neighborhoods, I always find the best deals there.

I always found the opposite. I love going to the poor areas where they're selling things to buy beer. How do you think I ended up with that drum set? $15 buys a 12pak.

The rich seem to jack their prices up too high for my liking. Yeah, you bought that Betamax for $400 brand new, but that doesn't mean it's worth $50. How about $5?

• Gregor
    Gregor

A brother who was a good friend of mine used to hold a garage sale about once a month. He would buy broken stuff and repair it but his main source of "inventory" came from dumpster diving behind various kinds of stores. He went out almost every night on his rounds. Between his Garage sales and selling his cartoons to mags. he owned his home and raised 4 kids. Sadly, he dropped dead of a heart attack one night in an alley next to a dumpster, he was only 39.

• lola28
    lola28

I freaking love yard sales I have a huge book collection and music collection b/c I used to go to so many of them. The sister that studied with me loved yard sales, so every Saturday morning we would go out in service but we would not do door to door, what we would do is hit up yard sales, look at the stuff and offer magazines to the ppl that were at the yard sale. You have no idea how well this worked I could place 20 mags in one morning and I could always end up finding a treasure. It was actually fun, ah good times.

Lola

• RachelHall
    RachelHall
    I know many people who go all around town to each one of them...And do it week after week, year after year.

How can they waste their GAS going all around town and then not find what they are looking for. What with the price of Petro...that's nuts!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I just remember going to one garage sale in the neighborhood which had lots of albums from the '60s, and then the guy wanted to take me into his house to show me the rest of his music collection, cause there was a rare LP he had of a group I liked that he said he could sell me, and then he showed me this other album he thought was totally cool and put it on, and it was Charlie Manson's album, crappy too, some song about a garbage dump, but this guy acted as if it was the greatest thing in the world, and that creeped me out...thank you very much.

• blondie
    blondie
    How can they waste their GAS going all around town and then not find what they are looking for. What with the price of Petro...that's nuts!

Hi, Rachel, that is why they check the paper and only go to places where neighborhoods have garage sales on the same day, they just park and then stroll from garage to garage.

Many communities in this area designate a weekend and then all the local people have theirs on the same weekend. People bring children's wagons and just buy and load up and go to the next.

For some people it is entertainment, some really save money, others it is an addiction and their homes are full of useless stuff.

Blondie (not a garage saler...won't even walk across the street)

PS my hubbie won't even let me have a garage sale, we just clean out the garage, basement, and closets once a year and take it to Goodwill and get a tax write-off.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Do you run after garage sales?

Not me. After a morning of my wife dragging me from one garage sale to another I am too exhausted to run.

AuldSoul

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

If I see Tools, or Bike's I'll Stop, but I like Estate sales better than yard sales (more Vintage tools). Buy CHEAP and resell on EBAY...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQrdZ0QQsassZopenfireglass

If I'm looking for something specific; I'll always check ebay... I usually find what I'm looking for with in 7 days

• delilah
    delilah

Warlock, I knew you were just kidding about the "personality" thingy, that's why I put this,in there. I have heard stories, but I have never personally experienced anything of the kind.

Leolai, my mom is the worst one, for blaming everything on demons...She has thrown out, or sold, actually, a couple of beautiful antique pieces, because her and my dad were having "problems." That's her answer for anything that is going wrong....it MUST be the demons, you know!! Makes me so angry, the fear that religion puts into people's heads.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

No...I tend to drive by and never stop. One day, I will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit