Do you run after garage sales?

by JH 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully
    Well, being out here and dressed for service is a witness enough for the householder as they know we are Jehovah's Witnesses!

Right. And you don't just look like a stupid dumb-@$$ out working the garage sales in a suit and tie.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Come on 'lil, you just didn't know how to work the "system". I knew a pioneer that would continue his time just about all day by making sure he would "witness" at the coffee shop before he got to the meeting for service at the hall. After door to door, to keep his time going, he would witness to someone while he was pumping his gas. I actually saw him in a store, carrying magazines out in the open, so he could continue his time. Of course, stupid Warlock would report his real time in the ministry, which is why he was only getting a few hours a month and not 120 a month.

Warlock

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

A girl I work with loves garage sales. She got me a great umbrella for my outdoor table for ten dollars with stand and it was a good thick fabric one. She gets great things all the time. I personally hate shopping so I don't really have the patience for it. The occasional flea market maybe but bouncing house to house is not for me.

• luna2
    luna2

I've never been much of a garage saler. It always felt slightly strange picking through other people's stuff. lol

• blondie
    blondie

Actually JWs not buying stuff at garage sales is extremely variable. I have known JWs that get the Thursday paper and plan their Friday by going from garage sale to garage sale.

I even went to several garage sales with COs and their wives.

I have never seen any demonizing of garage sales in this area. Actually, many JWs stop at garage sales while out in service on Saturdays.

I have seen sanctions on buying things at the Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Pauls, and church thrift stores because you would be giving your money to "Babylon the Great."

Notice that the WTS mentions nothing about demonized furniture or appliances or other items here.

*** g04 10/8 p. 10 Facing the Challenges of Teen Motherhood ***

Although you would no doubt prefer to have new items for your baby, perhaps you can save money by shopping at secondhand stores or yard sales.

*** g99 9/22 p. 31 More Valuable Than Money ***

Anna and her daughter Tanya stopped at a yard sale and bought a white purse to hold Tanya’s Bible. When they arrived home, Tanya opened a zipper inside the purse and was astonished to find $1,000 in bills. Immediately, mother and daughter returned to the yard sale and handed the money to the lady who had sold them the purse.

*** g88 2/22 p. 19 How to Be a Successful Shopper ***

The same principles apply to purchasing furniture and appliances, whether new or used. Is the item of good quality? Does it work? If repairs are needed, can you make them yourself? What will the final cost be? Asking yourself these questions, especially when shopping at garage and yard sales or flea markets, can inhibit impulse buying and save many a penny.

g84 7/22 p. 7 How to Cope With Unemployment ***
    (Garage or yard sales are also good places for picking up some inexpensive toys for the children.)

g84 12/8 p. 27 ‘I Have Nothing to Wear!’ ***
    Further savings can be found at thrift shops, flea markets and garage or yard sales.

I shop rarely at these sales because I can't walk that far. But I still love junk picking in the ritzier areas of town, legally of course.

Blondie

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Warlock,

I wish you had been around to teach me this system when I was in the org. I could have counted about 300 hours per month!

Do you think I can fill in some new slips and back date them so I am not gipped out of my full service to Jehovah? As we all know when Jesus comes he will stop at the society and pull the publishing cards to see who has been naughty and who has been nice........on, no wait....I am confusing him with santa clause. Never mind.

• snarf
    snarf

I just recently started back up at the garage sale scene. I love it. We just went a couple weeks ago to our city wide garage sale, and got the baby-to-be a bassinet (brand new with the pastic wrapping still on it, and the tags) and a new baby swing for 20 bucks. Definately a bargain. I found it is better to go to the rich neighborhoods, I always find the best deals there.

• luna2
    luna2

I don't remember it being a problem in Illinois either, blondie. There was one CO's wife in particular that loved to shop them. I only ever went out in service with her once and she made sure we hit a garage sale. Kind of tee'd me off as I only had weekends to go out and that Saturday we spent most of the morning at the garage sale and then stopping at McDonald's for break. I could think of a lot of other things I'd rather have been doing.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

I run AWAY from garage sales. Actually...I would probably stop at some but my husband hates them and I don't like going by myself. I should probably have one of my own to get rid of all the junk we've accumulated over that past 33 years. But the thought of tagging everything just makes me want to pack it up and give it to Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

They are soooooooo superstitious:

*** w66 12/15 p. 742 Repelling the Attack of Wicked Spirits ***

INVESTIGATING HOUSE AND HOUSEHOLD OBJECTS

One under demon attack should calmly, not in hysteria, investigate his house and household articles. In some few cases the house may be the cause of trouble and the best thing to do is move out. Some demons delight in haunting a place. So if you experience trouble shortly after moving into a house, investigate. Was the house unoccupied for a long time? Why? Did people frequently move in and out? Why? Does it have a history of being haunted? Neighbors usually know, though the seller of a house almost always keeps the fact concealed.

But if a house has a clean history, instead of moving out, investigate objects in the house...A vital question to ask if one experiences trouble with the demons is: Have you accepted any gifts from relatives or persons who dabble in spiritism? Any kind of article from such a person can cause trouble. In some actual cases it has been a radio, a sewing machine, a pair of shoes, jewelry, a "good luck" charm, a bathrobe, a blanket, a book. One woman had her bed tipped up at night when she tried to sleep on a mattress given her by her Spiritualist mother. A young woman had a fever of 106 degrees when wearing a garment given her by a Spiritualist...Sometimes objects through which demons make contact resist burning, indicating demonic anger at efforts to destroy them... When investigating objects, be reasonable, however. Do not burn up everything in fearful panic. Pray for Jehovah’s direction in your investigation, and he will deliver you from the wicked one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit