Well, they finally came to my door

by Wolfgirl 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

We've lived here for nearly 2 years now, and this is the first I've seen them, and I'm home most of the time. They caught me as I was taking the rubbish out; I didn't even realise they were in my front garden.

Anyway, it was the first warm Saturday we've had since last year, and here comes a mother with her young son. I felt so bad for him; he looked miserable. He wouldn't look up at me; spent the whole time with his eyes on the ground. He didn't smile at all, not once. It was obvious he wanted to be anywhere but there. I kept trying to speak to him, but he wouldn't talk at all. I kept commenting about how he should be out playing on such a gorgeous day, and I couldn't even draw him out about football. I asked him if he played football, and he shook his head no. His mum said he didn't like football, and said, "...as you can see," drawing notice to the fact that the poor little guy was obviously out of shape. (He must have taken after his mum, coz she was quite....round.)

Other than that, his mum seemed like a nice lady, but genuinely duped. She wasn't the brightest crayon in the box, either. They came to invite me to the district convention, and gave me one of those horrid little tracts.

Attempting to make a long story short, I left her the impression that I had been raised a JW, but "fell away" (to use her term) a long time ago, and that my family were still JWs. Technically, that's true. She just doesn't realise I'm DF'd. So I asked her if she could explain to me how they arrive at 1914. Like most JWs, she couldn't do it without reaching for a book. She pulled out the newish one called "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" or some such nonsense. I thought she was going to go for the Reasoning book I saw in her bag, but she didn't. She found some page about 70 weeks of years, etc. But she still couldn't explain it, and said she needed more than 5 minutes to properly do so. *stifles giggle, coz I could still "explain" it even now*

So I asked her (translate: reminded her) if they had to start at the date Jerusalem was destroyed to reach 1914 and if they taught that it was destroyed in 607, and she said yes. Then I pointed out that Jerusalem was NOT destroyed in 607, and that if she looked in any encyclopaedia, she would find it had been destroyed in 586-587, not 607. She said they went by what the Bible said, not by what any man said. I asked her if the Bible mentioned the date 607, and she said no. I explained that it had been proven that Jerusalem was not destroyed in 607. I also explained the "keep it simple" method previously posted on this board, by counting out the years each king ruled, etc. At first, she stood firm, and then later on, she started wavering. She came out with the typical SHEEP response of, "Even if we were wrong by 20-30 years, Armageddon will still come in its own time. It all comes down to faith." *gag*

She kept trying to give me that book, but I begged off on that, stating I was too busy to read it. (Again, true, but I wouldn't read it if I had all the time in the world.) I then brought up the UN. I specifically asked her if JWs were supposed to have nothing to do with the UN, and she said that was true, because it was the "disgusting thing that causes desolation." (All through the conversation, even before she knew I had been raised as a JW, she was using terms that no "worldly" person would understand, like "faithful and discreet slave.")

I then said that the WTBTS had joined the UN, and she just stared at me. I said the dates, and she denied it. She said, "Oh no, they'd NEVER do that!" She said I must have gotten false information somewhere.

In the end, I challenged her. I said, "If you're going to buy a car, say a Vauxhall, you don't just research the literature that Vauxhall give you, because it's obvious they'll tell you their car is wonderful. You have to do independent research. So I challenge you to look up when Jerusalem was destroyed in books other than what you're given at the Kingdom Hall." She said she would, and would return to me with what she had learned. I said I would dig out my old research as well, and she agreed. I watched her write my name and address down in her little book.

I wonder if she'll come back. Hee-hee!

I've got all the info written down, but I don't know if I have actual sources. Do any of you have the actual source material? I have certain websites, which I'll have to look over again to see if they list where the info came from. I also have a letter from the UN, stating that the WTS was an NGO.

I guess I'm still at the point in my life where I try to plant seeds of doubt. Maybe the little boy was listening. Bless the poor little guy...I hope he got to go play.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I long for such an opportunity.

They miss out my house when they call on this street. It's been over four years since I received a visit - hehehe

It sounds like you did well. Ya can but hope she'll actually make good on her promise, but I don't think anyone woill be holding their breath on that one.

• nelly136
  • BritBoy
    BritBoy

I long for such an opportunity.

As do I littletoe, as do I.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Hello Wolfgirl - you covered a lot of ground there!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I'm pretty sure that British dubs are totally unaware of the WTBTS involvement with the UN (and also all the paedophile issues).

I had a similar experience a year ago - had same dub call twice (and I pretty much covered same material, even giving him a copy of the UN NGO letters). His response to that (after calling a brother in America to actually confirm they DID join as NGO) was that one brother joined the library for PERSONAL reasons unbeknown to the Society!!

• press any key
    press any key

great work, sounds like a wonderful anti-witness was given, gotta love that tms school training - use leading questions, commend the witnoid when they follow simple logic, use illustrations, repetition (knock knock anyone home)

last time witnesses called on me about a year ago I mentioned the UN and they said they would look it up and call back, havent heard anything since

would not surprise me if elders automatically put anyone who mentions the UN on a do not call list (to protect the flock)

cheers

pak

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Nice work. I've not developed a deep enough sense of concern for them to play the game I'd need to, to break through their big New Personality Thought Shield.

* Incoming Alert: Suspect Apostate Material *

But if anybody ever said to me "I'll come back when I've done more research" I'd say "no you won't", because we both know that they won't.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    last time witnesses called on me about a year ago I mentioned the UN and they said they would look it up and call back, havent heard anything since

Welocme Press Any Key. You may be right there - After my return visit (a year ago) my dub visitor said he would call back - never did. I'm wondering if they have an 'Apostate' list - and if I'm on it.

Maybe the Society has issued a 'trigger-words' list, eg UN = Apostate.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    I guess I'm still at the point in my life where I try to plant seeds of doubt. Maybe the little boy was listening. Bless the poor little guy...I hope he got to go play.

That's where I am. Planting little seeds of doubt...Hopefully.... Saving one family at a time.

lisa

• garybuss
    garybuss

The last working Witness that was here burned the tires on his car as he was rushing to leave my driveway. That was back when Armageddon was delayed due to the time lapse between the "creation" of Adam and the "creation" of Eve,

I showed the Brother where the Society taught that Adam and Eve were both "created" the same year. I could see the signs that his bowels emptied into his pants as he sat on my sofa. (Next time I do that I gotta remember to be sure the Witness is standing)

That was back in the days where a "creative" day was 7,000 years long. Now, "reliable Bible chronology" has been replaced by "Gee, we don't know!".

Do current Witnesses have ANY idea how empty their gun is?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit