Threw away educational opportunities

by Cabin in the woods 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• uninformed
    uninformed

Cab,

We are in the same shoes.

I was an honor student in the early 60's. I had scholarships (NROTC) to any one of 50 colleges in the US. I had a senatorial appointment to the Coast Guard Academy, and another political appointment to the Merchant Marine Academy. I was supposed to report for classes in September 1964.

In October, 1966, I was in prison for neutrality issues during the Vietnam war.

In 1969 I learned to lay bricks, which I still do, 36 years later.

The WT is evil when it dictates to people how to live their lives. When they destroy educational hopes of young ones, decade after decade.

One of the GB died a couple of years ago, and I had a fit when I read in the WT announcement, "Brother (so and so) loved education".

Maybe next time around, we'll do better.

Brant

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Cabin in the woods,

Yes. I have had a hand in "all of the above", plus tracts, brochures, and even handbills, but not any of the things I really wanted to do. My "goal" was one of the big paradise scenes that always went to others. And faces in "portraits" had to be so small that there was little room to really draw in emotions (depression, elation, fear, whatever) without having to make it look like a cartoon. I had done some drafting and sign-painting before Bethel so my strong suit, they thought, was calligraphy, typography, graphics, charts, etc. A few small drawings made it in, usually two-color and sometimes three-color (with black), before they were good at full-color. Nothing I'd put in a portfolio.

Glad to hear you'll face it again. I know you'll overcome the "block". I'll let you know when I do.

Gamaliel

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Cab,

Hearing of your experience, and that of the others who have commented on this thread, is enough to make a person weep! I actually view the JWs as a menace in the community - as much because of their attitude to education as anything else.

Like yourself, in 1971 I had the chance to be sponsored through university to do an Engineering Degree.

However, the local Congregation Overseers found out about that, and you can imagine the rest! Instead, I took a job as a Trainee Telecommunications Technician. However, they could not leave matters at that, and after twelve months talked me into throwing that away, also (well - the end was coming in 1975, wasn't it!).

After five years "Pioneering", working at various times as a Farmhand, Timberworker, Fruit-Picker, Truck Driver, Factory Hand, Crane Driver, Tractor Driver, Village Idiot ect. ect. ect, I finally woke up to myself.

I managed to get into the Electrical Trade as firstly a Trades Assistant, which eventually led to a full apprenticeship as an Electrical Fitter. I was what is now termed a "Mature Age Apprentice" - but in 1979, this was very unusual.

It was certainly different - a 24 year old married man, father of one child with another on the way - in with a group of 17 - 18 year old school leavers.

It was hard, but I was happy to have been at least given a second chance at things.

Mind you, the Congregation never forgave me - THE END was soooo close! (nearly 30 years ago, now - how absolutely b----y stupid!). I did as a consequence get myself into the Bad Books of those who matter in the Scheme of Things, and was over 35 before being appointed an MS.

On completion of my apprenticeship, I would have liked to have followed on and done the Diploma of Engineering course at the local Technical Institute. The company I was working for offered to sponsor me in this (I could have gone to the Polytech on full pay) - and I actually commenced studies towards the Diploma. However, my wife of the time found out about it, and almost had a nervous breakdown as a result! Not that I can blame her - just doing an Adult Apprenticeship was extremely hard on the family.

So, the my highest scholastic achievement is a Certificate of Engineering - something that is gained by an extra six months of post-apprenticeship study. (The congregation took exception to this, also! I was well and truly on their Shit List by now).

Of course, I have learned quite a bit both before and after at a place called the "University of Hard Knocks." (Not to mention the Bachelor of Stupidity that we all received from the Awake University's Damnfool Campus!)

Since that time, I have never been able to get back into formal, extended studies. Some one on this thread has mentioned survival? I know all about that!

I do read copiously all the time, though, just to stay abreast of things. Over the years, also, I have done a lot of short courses at Technical Institute level. None of these things,though, adds up too anything close to a Diploma - let alone a Degree in Engineering.

These days, I work as a Manager at a Power Station in a Third World Country. Located deep inside a malarial jungle - with a semi literate, semi mutinous work force - this Power Plant supplies the electricity for a huge Goldmining operation.

It is all-right, given the almost mind-boggling salary - and the fact that it is Fly In / Fly Out, on a 16 days on / 12 days off roster.

It is certainly about the best that a raggedy-arsed electrician can ever aspire to achieve!

The experiences of others do confirm that indeed it is never to late to resume studies.

While in no way wanting to discourage anyone from taking up where they once had to leave off, I will say that the best time for learning things is when you are straight out of school.

That is why I feel strongly that the WTS should be figuratively and collectively hung from the highest yardarm in the fleet, for the way they still completely screw up the lives of the R&F !

My thoughts anyway,

Jack from Reefton.

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

Cab,
    Thank you for sharing despite the tangible pain of revisiting. Never mind the so-called eloquence of others in writing; you spoke well, straight from the heart.
    Yes, the 70s were not the best of times for a jdub to graduate. Age and the passage of years can easily make for melancholy when at this point in time looking back at those years. But please remember this is not uncommon for people in general.
    Looking at, or comparing ourselves to, others all the time can cause a lot of unhappiness and discontentment. Yes, there are many brilliant posters here. There will always be those that are or appear to be better than others. They tend to stand out; perhaps tend to post more often. But is it realistic to focus on them? In reality you are not alone by far. We are with you.
    Also, many of the “kids” on this board are in a much more favorable position: In this day and age it is much more common to attend college, if not an outright necessity. Times and circumstances have changed; young people are more independent and mature at an earlier age, the org is becoming less appealing as the years go by, there is much more information from books and the internet exposing the WTS, enabling them to get out earlier and make up for a few lost years. They are/were often luckier.
    Do not allow your spark to be killed or your spirit to be crippled. Your spirit determines your true value for it is all you have in the end. Its value is not primarily determined by a college education. But if you feel its true potential has not yet been realized, and needs to be nurtured, fed and further developed by any kind of learning, then replace bitterness with immediate action and shine bright in the many remaining years of life. If you do, it will be that much more valuable and defining of who you are, because of sheer inner strength and fortitude instead of mere fortune and circumstance.
    Fill the void with renewed aspirations and ideals. It is a precondition for spontaneity, joy, and being in touch with touch with yourself.
    VG

• greendawn
    greendawn

Numerous people here have complained about the weasel like way that the WTS deprived them of an education they were capable of. The big A never came and they have to face life without an important advantage that could have been theirs.

And the WTS shamelessly still goes on: serve jehovah and everything will be fine, forget worldly pursuits.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi friend,

I was very fortunate to not become a witness until I was older (23), I had graduated the year before from a private Catholic College in NYC. I am from Brooklyn originally. Prior to that I went to business school and got a degree from there. My job in banking and finance in NY paid 100% for my education. I would not have been able to afford it otherwise. I got a degree in Business Management, but my minor was in Business law.

After becoming a Witness, I went back to school for nursing. Although some frowned on it, I did not pay attention. Actually most of our Kingdom hall were well educated and well off as it was in a very high priced suburb of Boston. (Hingham). I was in that hall almost 10 years. There were a few who tried to discourage the higher education but since the elders kids were all in college, the pressure was not too bad.

I don't work in business any more but I do per diem nursing only. I have an auto-immune disease that if extremely painful. I don't really work that much because of it. But I do as much volunteer work as I can. And I have a huge ministry work for the Lord helping the captives in religious slavery. I am on the computer a lot becuase of this work. I give spiritual support, prayer and bible study help to any who request it.

Anyway, the only thing I regret is that I always loved writing, that was my passion for many years and I did nothing with it in the 12 years that I was in the org. I started a book prior to this and never finished. I am working on it again and am also writing poetry which I always loved (especially about God and Jesus) - I also do research for a magazine in India that teaches basic bible truths to new Christians.

All in all, I did not fair too badly as I was already educated but my hubby is the opposite. He went from HS to the Navy then quit that to become a Witness. He is 38 now and going back to school trying to figure out what he wants to do with the rest of his life - He is fortunate though to be in a good management position thanks to the things he learned in the military. We got no benefit from the Org. either in education or our work lives.

It really irritates me when the WT claims that from studying their mags, you have the equivalent of a university degree - yeah if your major is bull***t! Excuse the strong language please.

Anyway, I know of people who went back to school in their 60's and I believe it is never too late to learn new things. If you are now free from the org. your possibilities are endless. And you have the rest of your life ahead of you so why not study and do what you want.

You can either sit and wallow in regrets - or get on with your life and make the most of it.

I hope you choose to get on with it and I wish you the best of luck, Lilly

• Fleur
    Fleur

Cabin, I too had to walk away from a full talent scholarship in music. How I have wondered what I might do if I could go back to school, but my health prevents it now.

Don't give up on your dreams. I have tried to find ways to include the things I gave up for the WTS in my life even if I can't do them to the fullest...writing, music, other creative work.

Even if I'm the only one who hears my voice when I sing, it's still worth doing.

Keep the dream alive...you're just beginning to live now. It's scary, but wonderful too. Pick up a brush and paint!!! Make your life as beautiful as your soul so obviously is. You deserve to be happy!!!

big hugs

essie

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

I hear ya Cabin.

I have regretted so many times not going to college. I wasn't given any scholarships but I wish I had gone. I instead was sent into the pioneer ranks to waste away my youth. After two kids later, it's much harder to do the "college thing." I do have some other skills and I'm going to fall back on those now, but I do hope to one day at least go back and take some college courses on things that interest me.

It's never too late to go back though Cab. You should consider it if it's something you REALLY want.

(((((hug to you))))))

• frozen one
    frozen one

I graduated high school in 1980 and wanted to go to college. I gave into the pressure not to go which included several discussions with elders and the co. I guess the desire to attend college never died and in 1995 I applied for admission and was accepted at the University of Minnesota and graduated in 2001 (I was working full time so it took a little longer). I won't go into the details too much as I have had a few Newcastle's this evening but the moral of the story is that if I can do it, ANYONE CAN! Just follow your heart.

• uninformed
    uninformed
    Cab,

Thank you for sharing despite the tangible pain of revisiting. Never mind the so-called eloquence of others in writing; you spoke well, straight from the heart.

Yes, the 70s were not the best of times for a jdub to graduate. Age and the passage of years can easily make for melancholy when at this point in time looking back at those years. But please remember this is not uncommon for people in general.

Looking at, or comparing ourselves to, others all the time can cause a lot of unhappiness and discontentment. Yes, there are many brilliant posters here. There will always be those that are or appear to be better than others. They tend to stand out; perhaps tend to post more often. But is it realistic to focus on them? In reality you are not alone by far. We are with you.

Also, many of the “kids” on this board are in a much more favorable position: In this day and age it is much more common to attend college, if not an outright necessity. Times and circumstances have changed; young people are more independent and mature at an earlier age, the org is becoming less appealing as the years go by, there is much more information from books and the internet exposing the WTS, enabling them to get out earlier and make up for a few lost years. They are/were often luckier.

Do not allow your spark to be killed or your spirit to be crippled. Your spirit determines your true value for it is all you have in the end. Its value is not primarily determined by a college education. But if you feel its true potential has not yet been realized, and needs to be nurtured, fed and further developed by any kind of learning, then replace bitterness with immediate action and shine bright in the many remaining years of life. If you do, it will be that much more valuable and defining of who you are, because of sheer inner strength and fortitude instead of mere fortune and circumstance.

Fill the void with renewed aspirations and ideals. It is a precondition for spontaneity, joy, and being in touch with touch with yourself.

VG

VG--That was one home run of a post. Thank you!

Brant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit