Education

by dinah 15 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

This is one of my pet peeves about the Society.

Drilling it into our heads that an education is useless in a world that is coming to an abrupt end--ANY DAY NOW!

I graduated high school 7th in a class of 118. Guess what? I worked at McDonald's. Yep. Worked my way up to management. A whole whopping $7/hr to get up at 3 am and open the store, then have to work until 3am on my next shift. Sleep deprivation, nervous breakdown, back pain from harrington rods placed for scoliosis when I was 14. Totally blew my back out.

For what? An end that is still looming?

I didn't want to be rich. I would liked to have done something postive to help people. Banging on doors, IMHO, doesn't help anyone.

Let's not even mention the deprived childhood of not being able to do anything that even resembled normal.

It just makes me mad. I keep thinking of going back to school, but really don't know if I could handle it. I can't sit or stand very long at a time because of pain. But my brain is aching for something!! (and so is my pocketbook).

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

WORD...

• zagor
    zagor

Banging on doors, IMHO, doesn't help anyone

Correction, it does help Watchtower publishing corporation lol

But seriously I fully understand what you're talking about. 12 years ago I was on my way to complete engineering degree but stopped it because of my mom being under pressure for letting me go. In last couple of years (after leaving wtbs) I've reenrolled, completed my degree and now I'm about to start doing my small phd.

But my brain is aching for something!! (and so is my pocketbook).

I'd say go for it, you are going to love every minute of it. You're only 38 now (if your age is correct) I see quite a few people in their 40 and 50 completing education for the first time in their life and are having a ball at the same time. In fact, few months ago one lady graduated at 66, and I've heard of some graduating in their 70's. So no its not too late, go for it!

• kikisdragon
    kikisdragon

I completely agree. I'm 36, and I just started college a couple months ago, and I'm so happy I did. I was very smart in school, but I was so shy, and had no friends other than a few 'friends' in the congregation. I was depressed, and wasn't allowed to do much of anything. I wanted to be in the Chamber Choir at my high school (I tried out and was accepted), but was not allowed to because of all the performances on meeting nights, and the extra association with 'worldly' people. I wanted to take drafting, but wasn't allowed to because I would have been the only girl in the class (?) plus dad said it was pointless because not only could he not afford college for me but worldly education after high school was 'frowned' upon anyways. What a crock of sh--, right? I mean, did he think me and the guys in drafting class were going to have orgies in the classroom or something? jeez. I hadn't even been on a date yet! and the reason there was no money for college was because of his sucky job, and he never saved for anything. Not for college, not for retirement, nothing.

Okay, enough with the depressing stuff. The good part is, once I left the organization, (around 7 years ago) I started thinking differently about education. I love to read, love to learn. I went to BCTI, passed their rediculous Integrated Computer Applications course - the only thing I learned there was, to investigate a school before applying for a $10,000 loan to attend it, and I learned some PowerPoint, and some good info on business ethics. But at least I finished something I started, and actually got a certificate. Yeah! even my parents (still JWs) were slightly proud. Although of course it didn't help me find a decent job, just a crappy data entry job, but it was something, paid the bills. Moving on....

After a few office jobs, and no job for a while, I decided enough was enough, and I would apply for financial aid, and go to the local community college. I started out this quarter, with two classes, so I could keep up. And I love it! LOOOOOVE IT! If there is any way you can find to take some classes, even if it's just one class a quarter, I would highly recommend doing it. I have learned so much! not just academically. I've met some great people, and in Writing composition we have had some highly satisfying discussions and debates; I'm finally using my brain, and not wasting away all this supposed intelligence that I have, like I've been doing the past so many years. My plan is to get my A.A.S. degree, and either become a Librarian, a Teacher, or work in the Science field somehow.

Also, I just want you to know that I can understand your worry about your back pain - I'm a single mom, have diabetes, fibromyalgia, I'm half deaf, and wear glasses/contacts and still can't see very well, but I decided that I wasn't going to let that stop me anymore. :)

Good luck! and feel free to email me anytime about what's going on, if you'd like. :)

Karolyn - [email protected]

• damselfly
    damselfly

You are never to old to learn, you are never to old to go to school.

What interests you? What do you enoy doing and learning about? Go check out schools in your area, pick up college calendars, bookmark their websites and search through them.

Many schools in my area allow a potential student to attend their choosen program for day and shadow a current student. It's a great way to emerse yourself in the experience and ask tons of questions.

I was 27 when I went to massage therapy school and was surprised that I wasn't the oldest one there. When I got my math and sciences this year (at 30) I still wasn't the oldest one. I 'm going to school once again (I can't seem to stop learning!) and can't wait. It teachs you so much about yourself and a whole new method of thinking and reasoning.

I've found schools to be very flexible and compassionate towards students with special needs as yourself (not being able to sit or stand for long periods) all you have to do is ask them about it.

There are many ways to pay for school. Student loans, lines of credit, scholarships (this is my fav!) So worth it for the end result.

Best of luck, please don't deny yourself the opportunity.

Dams

• Honesty
    Honesty

That's another reason I left two of these in the Kingdumb Hell parking lot:

• Synergy
    Synergy

Yes, GO! Go to college or get a degree on line. I did my AA online recently and I start summer classes next week at a seminary. I don't want to be a preacher I just think a degree in Theology will be easy for an exJW, easier than say, engineering. I actually let a lot of resentment go when I got that piece of paper. I called my dad and told him. I called and said "I wanted to let you know I received my AA in Business Management. Most parents are proud when their children graduate college so I thought you should know." He said, "I'm not proud of you Renee, and I will not talk to you in your condition." My "condition" is being an apostate.

It's not too late for you or any of us. We owe it to ourselves to take back the dreams the WT robbed from us.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Go for it dinah, you can do it. I am older than you, and I am trying to better myself as well by becoming a teacher. That was my original ambition, pre - jw, and now I'm out I am going for it. You are never too old to change your career path, so give it your best shot. You will never know whether you can do it or not unless you try.

Good luck!!

Linda

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I've been doing some study by "distance learning", which has allowed me to continue working fulltime, though it does significantly impact my social life. Ah well, when it's done it's done

I never dreamed I'd be studying for my Masters in my late 30's !!!

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Don't despair - there are many people out there who think that they have left it too late to further their education. Higher education is my line of work and what has emerged is a change in the student population. There are now more mature students than ever, and many institutions also recognise that they require extra help and support.

Education isn't just for the 'young' - older students really add a lot to the class in terms of their wisdom and experience. The 'young' students are also very accepting - both groups can learn from each other. Give it a go - you don't want to be sitting in a few years time being eaten away by regrets at what could have been. Adopt the life long learning philosophy - there are plenty of educational advisors out there who can point you in the right direction - or even ask to visit the college/uni whatever to get a better feel for what will suit you.

As other posters have said - you can really benefit from challenging your mind and there are always new friends to make, so all in all it's a worthwhile experience. Wishing you well in your search.

FF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit